X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that make you smile

Originally posted by iris View Post
    Poetry. I bought the collected poems of w.b. yeats on black friday. It came today it's amazing. I've already read lots of it.. but it's still so beautiful.
    Oh Yeats! I love him!

Have you read T.S. Eliot? Four Quartets is beyond amazing (I actually am working on memorizing it, I love it so much!).

P.S. My youngest daughter just won a big award for a reading of her poetry at her university, and she's been published in a journal. This gives me a huge grin, although I've tried to convince her to write smut so she can earn a living.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Oh Yeats! I love him!

Have you read T.S. Eliot? Four Quartets is beyond amazing (I actually am working on memorizing it, I love it so much!).
      Me too! He's right up there as one of my favourite poets.

Not as much as yeats, but a little. I actually found four quartets online the other day, but it was veeeery long and messy, I don't like reading on a screen. I might put him on my wishlist for christmas
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

?..but it was veeeery long and messy, I don't like reading on a screen. I might put him on my wishlist for christmas
        It is long. Eliot is at his best when he writes book-length poems because he writes in recursive spirals where what comes later changes what came earlier.. You can see his themes being worked out in his shorter works, but they need length to fully develop and go through their transformations... (Sorry. I'm a poetry addict. Generally I hide it shamefully ).
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It is long. Eliot is at his best when he writes book-length poems because he writes in recursive spirals where what comes later changes what came earlier.. You can see his themes being worked out in his shorter works, but they need length to fully develop and go through their transformations... (Sorry. I'm a poetry addict. Generally I hide it shamefully ).
          Why would you hide something like that!? It's wonderful and don't apologize, it's interesting I love it
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Why would you hide something like that!? It's wonderful and don't apologize, it's interesting I love it
            LOL - I'm a teacher. One thing I've discovered is that you should never teach the thing you love - the students will gleefully destroy it for you.

Teach things you like, things that interest you, things you think are important, but not what you love.

What one loves needs to be a private secret, shared only with those who understand .

Poetry is that thing for me. It is the most beautiful of all the arts, and a thing that has a special place deep in my heart where nobody can see it, unless I want them to.

Comment

LOL - I'm a teacher. One thing I've discovered is that you should never teach the thing you love - the students will gleefully destroy it for you.

Teach things you like, things that interest you, things you think are important, but not what you love.

What one loves needs to be a private secret, shared only with those who understand .

Poetry is that thing for me. It is the most beautiful of all the arts, and a thing that has a special place deep in my heart where nobody can see it, unless I want them to.

I understand that though I always try to pass on my love for poetry if I'm given half a chance. But you should never say sorry for being enthusiastic
              I did have one professor who taught poetry, his love of it was contagious to me, but his disappointment with the rest of the class was also very real. 2 students out of 35 actually caring about it isn't a lot.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Found out there's a new pagany/new agey store in our mall, which makes it the only one for about a half hour's drive. I'm really psyched that we have one.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Just started playing inFAMOUS. I'm hooked. I think I found my December game.
                  Such a great game. I liked all of them!
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Came home tonight at 11 pm (go to the ranty rant for that!) and opened my front door. Big Christmas tree! The waft of pine all up in my tired face!

(plus my bedroom matches with my pine candle.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I thought I had messed up something with the taxes... apparently I haven't!
                      baah.

Comment

When my dog comes to me in bed each morning for a little cuddle

Comment

Paying off my car.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Finally bought the Unplugged cd by Florence + the Machine.
                            baah.

Comment

My wife waking up beside me.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

When I got up this morning, I went to let the dog out for a pee, and there was a brown paper bag on my doorstep, taped shut, with the words "happy birthday" written on them. Nothing else.

Opened it up. It was a giant ookpik from my old roommate. Definitely a pleasant surprise. I love ookpiks!

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X