This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that make you smile

This is what my good friend did back home in Illinois, and posted on her Facebook. I'm really hoping this takes hold! I'm omitting names but you get it. Love her! This is amazing! Please pass it along if you are on a PTA or want better living for your children at school. They spend more time there with strangers than at home so promote heathy standards when you can't be there to do it yourself!

So I sent this proposal to _____ principal at school. Just met with him to discuss it. I may have just started a healthy food revolution! He got excited from just my talking about it and why (husbands name) and I stopped eating fast food and drinking soda as well as doing a 180 with our eating habits given his diabetes and my hypothyroidism.

Mr. ______

My daughter ______is a part of your hydroponics /Aquaponics after school program. This has been a passion of mine for a year after I have spent researching to start my own Aquaponics garden at home for year round. I find this simply amazing! It gave me the idea to expand the class to something greater that would benefit the entire school district.

Every grade from K to 12 should be given this opportunity and let me tell you why.
    1.) It promotes healthy living though better daily nutrition.
    2.) It teaches how to produce and sustainable food source both at home and in the school.
    3.) New version of Horticulture
    4.) Healthy future of farming, soil protection from over farming
    5.) Independent living for your own health benefits
    6.) Local food marketing
    7.) No Pesticides necessary! Furthermore, no pests!
    8.) Year round yield in climate controlled environment
    9.) Fish farming
    10.) Environmental Awareness
    11.) Ecosystems: how one benefits the other in a self contained environment
    12.) Fish and plant life cycles
    13.) Fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and fish (if you choose a farmable fish) year round for the cafeteria essentially cutting food cost spending for the district.
    14.) Healthier meals for the children! Fresh from your own supply that they helped accomplish!
    15.) New way to supply tomatoes... hanging trellis, bigger yield healthier plant
    16.) Difference between Hydroponics and Aquaponics: the human intervention vs. complete ecosystem with minimal human management.

There are so many more that I can list but those are the main reasons this program should be expanded. It doesn't have to cost the school district much at all. These days there are great crowd funding sources like Indigogo, GoFundMe and Kickstarter that the school can utilize as well as local donation drives by the students and school. This truly is the future of farming.
    I would also like to suggest looking into sources like Urban Farm Guys online who teach Diy setups and come to towns and cities to teach communities about sustainable farming.
    Also a field trip to The Plant Chicago would be amazing for the students, teachers and parents. It is a self sustaining building that produces much of Chicago's local produce and creator of local jobs. The entire building is an off-grid facility for Hydroponics and Auquponics, it receives all of its energy and electricity from an Anaerobic Digester generator that takes plant material and waste turning it into energy to run the facility. It would teach the students and families about alternate energy as well!
    A good source for the parents to promote this at home is a mom from the UK that wrote a nice little book called 7 Myths of Aquaponics by Michelle Booth. It's the book that got me started on my small in home version that I will be building this year. Of course there are tons of reliable books and videos out there which can be utilized, as I am not a professional educator that would be up to the teaching staff.
    There are so many benefits this program could bring if gone about the clever way through crowd funding and donations. An outbuilding (larger class trailer) on site would be a good start for a larger yield and variety as well as some small green houses for warmer months. I notices plenty of space for this by the east side parking lot by Jones Rd that would be perfect and out of the way.
    I hope you can see my excitement and why this would be a wonderful thing for our children as well as District 54 over time. Children are the future as we all know, so we should do what we can to educate them for the uncertain future where climate, over farming, dwindling food sources, pesticide use and other such things are jeopardizing that future for them. Not to sound like an alarmist of course. Please consider this proposal.

Comment

when you're drowning you don't say "I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me"
      You just scream
      - John lennon

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
        My new electric heating blanket. Best thing ever.
        Right? I never want to leave my bed. Like it's just on and I'm a cat on a warm lap. Not moving. Makes my achy legs always feel better.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lol. I have no idea what day it is. Nor do I need to.

Comment

That is a RARE treat,cherish the memory..
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I Went To My First Day Of My Internship

Today i was so excited to my internship, I got there early at 7:30 AM. I start working at 9:00 AM and I did archive by years. It was great.

Comment

Got Iggy Pop tickets! My boyfriend and I are going to the concert in May....eeee!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Got Iggy Pop tickets! My boyfriend and I are going to the concert in May....eeee!
                  Iggy Pop isn't dead yet???

(His dad was an English teacher, in Michigan, I think...)
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Shut up B. De....just be quiet...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Iggy Pop isn't dead yet???

(His dad was an English teacher, in Michigan, I think...)
                      NOPE! Despite the sheer amount of heroin he did in the 70s, he is still alive and well, and is releasing an album in March with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age (who he's also touring with). I have to admit, though, the fact that all his contemporaries are passing was a big factor in our decision to go, despite the fact that we're super broke and tickets cost 75 Euro each.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiesha'ra View Post
                        This is what my good friend did back home in Illinois, and posted on her Facebook. I'm really hoping this takes hold! I'm omitting names but you get it. Love her! This is amazing! Please pass it along if you are on a PTA or want better living for your children at school. They spend more time there with strangers than at home so promote heathy standards when you can't be there to do it yourself!
                        Teach them fungiculture as well. Add in mushroom growing, and waste ends up being close to zero.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          NOPE! Despite the sheer amount of heroin he did in the 70s, he is still alive and well, and is releasing an album in March with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age (who he's also touring with). I have to admit, though, the fact that all his contemporaries are passing was a big factor in our decision to go, despite the fact that we're super broke and tickets cost 75 Euro each.
                          The more drugs you do, the longer you live. Just look at Keith Richards!
                          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                            The more drugs you do, the longer you live. Just look at Keith Richards!
                            Haha good point!

Comment

Is that why I am still kicking???

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I got my new electric blanket. I realize how much my old one was dying now. This one is awesomely cozy. I guess they last about 3 months or so. Maybe 2. Meh. Thankfully it's not that cold, only a small part of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X