X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Hey! That's my momma's name!

(not that she signs stuff with that, but still)
    My middle name is Rebecca. But I'm not gonna write about zombies with a name like Becky and expect good things. It's just not gonna happen. I figure you are making a statement with that name.

And to add about female writers changing their names. So I adore Mira Grant. I mean she's right up there. Her real name is Seanan McGuire. Which is so much cooler. I don't get the name change except when she moved out of the teen ere of books.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I am thinking that if you gonna write about Zombies or maybe Vampires your name should kinda be Conchita Vilinova Gabrila VON Mistronzzo...

(Completely made up name,so forget Google) (good news,Google found nothing)
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

1) Most* Pagans have hipster attitudes.

2) Most* Pagans are so focused on the trees they'd miss the forest if it bit them on the ass.

*(if I go by blog comments on Patheos)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I believe you should teach young women how they look and present themselves when sober and drunk can affect what happens to them. And they take responsibility for their own actions.

I believe you should teach young men a short skirt and a drunken wink isn't consent and should act like decent fucking human beings. And they take responsibility for their own actions.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

-- I'm still a Twilight fan

-- I also enjoy the Star Wars prequels

-- I despise coffee and tea

-- I really enjoy Skrillex

-- I couldn't get into Star Trek or LOTR

-- I think that many Americans are actually wonderful people and unlike those that don't want to be proud of their nationality because of the opinions of other countries, I will gladly say that I'm proud to be a US citizen
            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

In terms of actual beliefs, I'm more left-leaning politically, but I'm seriously considering pretending to be a conservative just because I despise most people on the left so much that I want to have an easy out to make them not talk to me.

Most of the conservatives I've talked to have been very honest with me about what they believe and why they believe it, and while I don't always agree with them, I appreciate the truthfulness a lot. ~90% of the more left-leaning people I meet are either really fake and just want to look "nice" ("Omg, I'm totally for saving the environment because it's mean not to and stuff!!!!") or are hipsters who are angry at anything that reminds them of The Man. I never feel like I'm getting their real opinions, just some weird, artificial jargon.

Comment

I don't find door-to-door evangelists irritating. Actually, I kind of sympathize with most of them.

And possums are really, really cute critters.

Comment

From what I see in the news, the US is reviving the insanity of the 60s. I hope all the wannabe hippies enjoy it. Nobody else will.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

A man decides that he will tussle with a police officer, reaching into a police car, and attempt to take a police officer's gun.

The man is subsequently shot and killed.

Doubtless this is based on my infamous "white privilege" but, honest to God, if I attempted to take a gun from a police officer, I would expect to be shot. And EVERYBODY would say "What an idiot! What did he expect to happen?"

Probably cause I'm white...

I understand that abuses took place, and the Ferguson police were not playing with a straight deck, but I think that, sometimes, people really oughtta pick better heroes.

I fully expect to be damned for this, so go a ahead and damn me.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      A man decides that he will tussle with a police officer, reaching into a police car, and attempt to take a police officer's gun.

The man is subsequently shot and killed.

Doubtless this is based on my infamous "white privilege" but, honest to God, if I attempted to take a gun from a police officer, I would expect to be shot. And EVERYBODY would say "What an idiot! What did he expect to happen?"

Probably cause I'm white...

I understand that abuses took place, and the Ferguson police were not playing with a straight deck, but I think that, sometimes, people really oughtta pick better heroes.

I fully expect to be damned for this, so go a ahead and damn me.
                      Damn you, you truth speaking honest white person! (I didn't want ya to feel disappointed...)
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        Damn you, you truth speaking honest white person! (I didn't want ya to feel disappointed...)
                        LOL - yeah, I'm a bad man...

Comment

Eh, I think people should have picked a better example to protest the very real problems of racism and policing too.

Like Tamir Rice. Police (specifically a police officer that quit his previous police job rather than get fired) shot a 12 year old at a park with a toy gun (911 was told it was a kid with a toy gun and failed to relay that information to the officers) within 2 seconds of pulling up to the kid's location and then didn't bother to give him first aid. Also, the Cleveland police handcuffed and detained his 14 year old sister in the squad car next to her dying brother for trying to figure out what was wrong (oops, sorry--for "trying to preserve evidence"...probably their excuse for not giving first aid too).
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Eh, I think people should have picked a better example to protest the very real problems of racism and policing too.

Like Tamir Rice. Police (specifically a police officer that quit his previous police job rather than get fired) shot a 12 year old at a park with a toy gun (911 was told it was a kid with a toy gun and failed to relay that information to the officers) within 2 seconds of pulling up to the kid's location and then didn't bother to give him first aid. Also, the Cleveland police handcuffed and detained his 14 year old sister in the squad car next to her dying brother for trying to figure out what was wrong (oops, sorry--for "trying to preserve evidence"...probably their excuse for not giving first aid too).
                            I tend to mostly agree with this. ^^
                            After spending several years as an officer (approximately 8 of those years as a forensic investigator) my personal opinion (after watching the video of the shooting) is that there were several mistakes and tactical errors made in regards to the incident. Now, that can be from a lack of training or because the officer panicked or maybe he's just a moron that should never have been given a badge to begin with (it happens). As far as rendering first aid...that sometimes depends on departmental policy. And yeah, I know how that sounds but it's what happens when officers are constantly second-guessed and departments are inundated with frivolous lawsuits by the very same people they're trying their best to help. That's not to say that all lawsuits are frivolous (some are very justified) but quite a lot of them are from people who are just looking for some easy cash. The problem now, as I see it anyway, is that due to any number of factors the officers that genuinely care about their jobs and the people that they serve are leaving by the droves...only to be replaced by people looking for "a steady paycheck" or some craptastic desire to have some kind of control over people and that's not good. That being said, in my time I had the opportunity to work with some very talented, caring, dedicated officers that did their very best everyday...I also had the misfortune of working with some complete dolts that were a disgrace to the profession. It saddens me to see so many good officers leaving the profession because they're all being painted with the same wide brush due to the idiocy of a few others (and thanks largely to the media that is more concerned with money/ratings than trying to foster any real harmony/understanding). The end result, sadly, is not good for anyone...

*It should be noted that the above is based solely on my own experience...your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred View Post
                              I tend to mostly agree with this. ^^
                              After spending several years as an officer (approximately 8 of those years as a forensic investigator) my personal opinion (after watching the video of the shooting) is that there were several mistakes and tactical errors made in regards to the incident. Now, that can be from a lack of training or because the officer panicked or maybe he's just a moron that should never have been given a badge to begin with (it happens). As far as rendering first aid...that sometimes depends on departmental policy. And yeah, I know how that sounds but it's what happens when officers are constantly second-guessed and departments are inundated with frivolous lawsuits by the very same people they're trying their best to help. That's not to say that all lawsuits are frivolous (some are very justified) but quite a lot of them are from people who are just looking for some easy cash. The problem now, as I see it anyway, is that due to any number of factors the officers that genuinely care about their jobs and the people that they serve are leaving by the droves...only to be replaced by people looking for "a steady paycheck" or some craptastic desire to have some kind of control over people and that's not good. That being said, in my time I had the opportunity to work with some very talented, caring, dedicated officers that did their very best everyday...I also had the misfortune of working with some complete dolts that were a disgrace to the profession. It saddens me to see so many good officers leaving the profession because they're all being painted with the same wide brush due to the idiocy of a few others (and thanks largely to the media that is more concerned with money/ratings than trying to foster any real harmony/understanding). The end result, sadly, is not good for anyone...

*It should be noted that the above is based solely on my own experience...your mileage may vary.
                              Oh, I definitely agree. I don't have experience as a police officer, but my MIL is a (now retired) detective, and I have some family and friends that are police officers. Public officials are people too...they make mistakes, they have errors in judgement, they screw up, and they are subject to the same biases that the general population has.

My problem is that at some point, we need an objective self-analysis of institutions. We are at a point in terms of data collection and understanding of far more about psychology, sociology, anthropology, and other areas of the study of ourselves where not using that data hurts our ability to be more effective. Its a problem in the military too (I'm a vet that still works for the military)...and honestly, just about everywhere.
                              sigpic

Comment

My problem is that at some point, we need an objective self-analysis of institutions. We are at a point in terms of data collection and understanding of far more about psychology, sociology, anthropology, and other areas of the study of ourselves where not using that data hurts our ability to be more effective. Its a problem in the military too (I'm a vet that still works for the military)...and honestly, just about everywhere.
                                Yes, exactly. ^^

Also, speaking from a strictly law enforcement standpoint, I'd like to see some accountability on the part of the "decision makers" within the departments as well. I've lost track of the number of times an officer has been allowed to resign to avoid being terminated. While it's somewhat commendable to not want to terminate an officer's employment (and as such, essentially end someone's career) it's absolutely necessary if that officer has clearly shown that he/she has no aptitude for the job. Allowing said officer to continue on a career path by simply transferring from department to department every time he/she screws up can have tragic consequences. In short...if there is a reason an officer is being asked to comply with what is essentially a "forced resignation" (to avoid being terminated), it's a pretty good indicator that they should look at a different career. In my opinion, those that are complicit in the process should be held to at least some degree of accountability if, by allowing that person to stay in the field, another person (officer or civilian) is injured or worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X