This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Yeh...Now they are saying the Diet soda makes you fat...who knew.

And you thought I just made that up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar...b_2698494.html

- - - Updated - - -

What the Food and Diet Industry Doesn't Want You to Know

Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

Well, actually...studies are mixed on this, and I've not done enough research to look at the particulars.

But, there are thought to be 2 reasons-- 1) sweets lead to more sweets...eating/drinking sweet things leads to a consumption of more sweet things elsewere and 2) fake calories might confuse the body (mechanism unknown).

The problem with his "article"' (sales pitch) is that correlation is not causation. Even the study he's using as his illustration says something to that effect:

Both SSB consumption and ASB consumption were associated with increased T2D risk. We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB consumption that we did not control for are responsible for the association with diabetes, and randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between ASB consumption and T2D.

source http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...jcn.112.050997
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I was at an audition this saturday... I thought I did terrible. Apparently I did ok, I got 2 roles (different direcors were present for several different plays)... but I really don't know how I feel about being cast as a young boy ...
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

^^^ Congrats!

It's spring and all the diet/exercise fads are in full bloom. The dopiest thing I ever heard was "eat a handful of nuts an hour before dinner to lose weight". OK, nuts are healthy, etc., but it's still adding calories to the day.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Skinny people constantly tell me YOU ARE DIABETIC! STOP DRINKING DIET SODA! And I'm like there is no sugar. And they are like it's not true. And I'm like it has ZERO calories. It's impossible to have sugar in zero calories. And I tell them you know I've done the math. I drink diet soda and my sugar levels do not go up.

So back the f off. No one is taking my Diet Dr Pepper from me.

And then they sip their liquid sugar drink of healthy orange juice.

oi.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              ^^^ Congrats!

It's spring and all the diet/exercise fads are in full bloom. The dopiest thing I ever heard was "eat a handful of nuts an hour before dinner to lose weight". OK, nuts are healthy, etc., but it's still adding calories to the day.
              I think they've misunderstood a trial that was done like, 15 years ago. I remember reading about it as a teenager. They gave a test group a set meal plan that included handful of nuts a day and another group got the calories from the nuts added in other ways. Apparently the nut group lost considerably more weight. Pretty sure adding calories was never the idea though!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

^^^ Congrats!

Yesterday seemed to be a day devoid of any stories for the news to bring... at one point there was an article about weightloss, claiming that just a spoonfull of coconut oil a day worked...
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I think what's supposed to happen is, you eat the nuts and then feel fuller so you don't finish your dinner. They say that about drinking lots of water, too. All that goes completely against the clean-your-plate paradigm in which I was raised.
                  sigpic

Comment

And the standard(when I was a kid) think of all the starving children in other country's NOW clean your plate and don't waste any of it...
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      And the standard(when I was a kid) think of all the starving children in other country's NOW clean your plate and don't waste any of it...
                      Even as a kid I didn't understand this. If there are starving kids in whatever country, and I'm full and there's plenty of food in the fridge... why don't you send the excess food to the starving kids...

Never made any sense to my mind then, still doesn't. Save the money you spend on food that doesn't get eaten, make smaller portions, and donate meals.

Pear cider isn't as good as apple cider.

Comment

It's the same mentality that thinks people who don't want kids should have them because some people can't. Makes no sense at all!
                        When I was a kid it was a sign of prosperity in our neighborhood to have a chubby kid. It showed you could feed them. There were lots of overweight kids in school - and this was long before video games, etc. We played outside, we walked everywhere - but we ate what was put in front of us, and were praised more for having a "good appetite" than for getting straight A's.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's the same mentality that thinks people who don't want kids should have them because some people can't. Makes no sense at all!
                          When I was a kid it was a sign of prosperity in our neighborhood to have a chubby kid. It showed you could feed them. There were lots of overweight kids in school - and this was long before video games, etc. We played outside, we walked everywhere - but we ate what was put in front of us, and were praised more for having a "good appetite" than for getting straight A's.

I'm thinking I saw the book you have in your profile pic in the bookstore today and it made me think of you.

I'm also thinking I so far hate my friend's dog that I am dog-sitting, but the least I could do was return the favour, as he watched my dog for two weeks. She's a chewer. I don't own chewing animals. She jumped onto the counter and ate approximately a kilogram of dog treats today while I was out. And chewed a candle. And dug in my plant. And tore open a bag of kitty litter.

Sigh.

Mostly art.

Comment

^^^ Nice to know I was thought of! Thank you.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is a new one for me. The brain things, it doesn't compute!

Comment

I think what's supposed to happen is, you eat the nuts and then feel fuller so you don't finish your dinner. They say that about drinking lots of water, too. All that goes completely against the clean-your-plate paradigm in which I was raised.
                                Yeah, that was popular in Germany in the past too, especially in my mom's generation (she grew up in Canada, but she was born in Germany and raised with her parents' post-war values). There was very, very little food at the end of the war, and even less after it was over, so I think they kind of overcompensated. Maybe it goes back even further than that to back when regular people couldn't always afford food, but I definitely think the war played a role. I'd bet it's like that in most of Europe and the UK as well. My mom's generation grew up when things were good again, but it seems like everyone felt that you should eat and savour every last morsel. Because, at least you had food.

It's wrong, though. Kids should be taught to listen to their bodies and learn how to tell when they are full. I was raised that way (my mom always hated being forced to eat EVERYTHING and has unpleasant memories of having to sit there and finish food while everyone else ate dessert), and I find it way easier to control my portions than a lot of people who were told they had to clean their plates. I wasn't taught to waste food...we always took small portions at a time ("you're eyes are bigger than your stomach" was the saying in our house) and had seconds if we wanted more. I still eat that way. My boyfriend will heap food onto a plate, but I always dish out a small first helping. He'll say "So wenig?" ("So little?") and I say, "You can have a second helping if you're still hungry."

Comment

Working...
                                X