This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Wish I could just snap my fingers and be where I'm going tomorrow instead of having to drive 450 miles. It'll be worth it once I get there, but.....Scotty, one to beam to Kentucky please.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Mortality.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
        Mortality.
        Your one word post begs me to inquire further as to the reasons you are thinking of this.
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Well, I just bought a type of diva-cup online. Guess I'm going to be THAT kind of hippie, now.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
            Your one word post begs me to inquire further as to the reasons you are thinking of this.
            I watched a video on YouTube where the vlogger was talking about how he was afraid of death because of the "big black dark void of no consciousness, of no anything" that follows. Weirdly enough, either moments before or after watching this video (I think it was before but I'm not sure right now) I saw a picture in my facebook feed about the word "Yūgen." (Pardon me if the word is misspelled, I'm no expert at the Japanese language.)
            Yūgen is a Japanese word pertaining to a profound awareness of the universe which evokes feelings that are inexplicably deep and too mysterious for words.
            I am by no means contemplating suicide, but I'm prone to thinking very extensively about the vastness of space, the universe and everything in it. Watching shows about space is really a giant mind-fuck for me because I understand what they are telling me but my brain refuses to comprehend it. It's just too big of a concept for me to wrap my mind around. The idea of the UNIVERSE ENDING is kind of terrifying to me because it means EVERYTHING I've come to know, understand, love, hate, touch, smell, taste, experience (and so on) will be... nothing. Now, I'm not afraid of dying and I'm only a mortal being that will be long gone before this happens. Regardless, the end of the universe is still terrifying to me.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            Sneak Attack

Comment

I watched a video on YouTube where the vlogger was talking about how he was afraid of death because of the "big black dark void of no consciousness, of no anything" that follows. Weirdly enough, either moments before or after watching this video (I think it was before but I'm not sure right now) I saw a picture in my facebook feed about the word "Yūgen." (Pardon me if the word is misspelled, I'm no expert at the Japanese language.)

I am by no means contemplating suicide, but I'm prone to thinking very extensively about the vastness of space, the universe and everything in it. Watching shows about space is really a giant mind-fuck for me because I understand what they are telling me but my brain refuses to comprehend it. It's just too big of a concept for me to wrap my mind around. The idea of the UNIVERSE ENDING is kind of terrifying to me because it means EVERYTHING I've come to know, understand, love, hate, touch, smell, taste, experience (and so on) will be... nothing. Now, I'm not afraid of dying and I'm only a mortal being that will be long gone before this happens. Regardless, the end of the universe is still terrifying to me.
              It terrifies me to. So much of the worth I place on my life comes from writing. This sort of desperate need for something I write to live on (so much so that I have this foolish plan to bury a bunch of my books in a fancy airtight water/fire proof container somewhere like a time capsule someday) is confounded by the idea that the earth will wither into a crumpled ball, and the sun will nova and rip the rock to shreds, and every thing I have done or will do will be wiped away leaving nothing even to memory.

I can take solace in the physical feeling of the world despite that. Food, Sex, Exercise, Reading.... Anything that I can enjoy, well, if the universe is doomed than my feeling of that in the moment is still present I suppose.

But the eternal void at the end of it all? That's terrifying. And it makes my boldest dreams and largest ambitions seem like an echo in an empty room.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                It terrifies me to. So much of the worth I place on my life comes from writing. This sort of desperate need for something I write to live on (so much so that I have this foolish plan to bury a bunch of my books in a fancy airtight water/fire proof container somewhere like a time capsule someday) is confounded by the idea that the earth will wither into a crumpled ball, and the sun will nova and rip the rock to shreds, and every thing I have done or will do will be wiped away leaving nothing even to memory.

I can take solace in the physical feeling of the world despite that. Food, Sex, Exercise, Reading.... Anything that I can enjoy, well, if the universe is doomed than my feeling of that in the moment is still present I suppose.

But the eternal void at the end of it all? That's terrifying. And it makes my boldest dreams and largest ambitions seem like an echo in an empty room.
                Not to make light of the discussion but I really feel like we should be sitting in a giant personal library, wearing monocles and drinking fancy brandy.
                Sneak Attack

Comment

Not to make light of the discussion but I really feel like we should be sitting in a giant personal library, wearing monocles and drinking fancy brandy.
                  Agreed. This really should be a legitimate thing. I would participate in many discussions like that could I.

I'd also bring a top hat. Probably wouldn't wear it indoors, but the implication that I might wear it would be enough.

Comment

I saw a picture in my facebook feed about the word "Yūgen." (Pardon me if the word is misspelled, I'm no expert at the Japanese language.)
                    I've seen that word before, and I love it. It is so perfect to describe those numinous states- both wonderful, terrifying, and somewhere in between- that you reach when contemplating the cosmos.
                    The Mayans had an understanding that the spiritual nature of man and the universe had an innate, glorious terror. I think that they were onto something.

Comment

I'm thinking about how frigging hot it is. The air conditioner isn't working and the owner's of our house are supposed to send someone to fix it today. I can't stand the heat.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

May 9th. Today it snowed.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          May 9th. Today it snowed.
                          Lucky you. The owners of our house sent someone to fix the AC. Finally it is cooling down. Thank Lord Anubis!
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                            Lucky you. The owners of our house sent someone to fix the AC. Finally it is cooling down. Thank Lord Anubis!
                            I guess. It hasn't been above 10C in over 8 months, and 7 of those months were WELL below zero. I could use a little love from the sun sometime soon.

Mostly art.

Comment

108 unreads. I need to log on more often.
                              In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

assholes:
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X