Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about how my house smells like an Almond Joy candy bar because we switched to using coconut oil for cooking.
    I really want chocolate right now. *crying*

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      Thinking about how my house smells like an Almond Joy candy bar because we switched to using coconut oil for cooking.
      I really want chocolate right now. *crying*

Ooh, how is that? I read some promising things about coconut oil a while ago. Can it be used in baking too, or just for frying?

I woke at 4:20am on a night-sleep day. This is 'normal' for me, but hasn't happened in months. I'm taking this as a good sign. Hopefully I'm getting back on top of things!
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        68 is okayish...75-82 is my fave, but I'll take anything up to 95 if there's water, shade, and a breeze.

After 95, it all sucks. Over 105 just sucks more. And 125 in the shipyards is flat out horrible.
        Yeeeeeeeah, your preferred temp is our absolute max for the most part, haha.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          Ooh, how is that? I read some promising things about coconut oil a while ago. Can it be used in baking too, or just for frying?

I woke at 4:20am on a night-sleep day. This is 'normal' for me, but hasn't happened in months. I'm taking this as a good sign. Hopefully I'm getting back on top of things!
          We use coconut oil for all sorts of things. What you have to remember is that it's solid at room temp. For baking you have to melt it first and incorporate it before it cools. And it'll make things that you serve at room temp a little thicker than if you use regular oil.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

Well, dinner was delicious. But we also switched to grass fed meat, which i noticed has a different taste to it as well. So I'm not sure yet if it was the oil or the meat or both. Lol But, dinner was delicious.

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            Sneak Attack

Comment

There seems to be a push to raise cattle without all the extra crap they use to over fatten them...Antibiotics seem to be an issue finely,so maybe back to unadulterated food supply again...crosses fingers just in case..
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Here in southern MO, a lot of Black Angus beef cattle are raised. They are grass fed, and the land here never had factories or anything on it, so it's about as uncontaminated as possible. There's a big difference (IMO) in the taste and quality, just like the diff. between a real country egg and a storebought egg.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I was raised on natural meats. We lived on a small farm where we butchered most of our own food. Chickens, geese, ducks, sheep, turkeys... Our neighbors had pigs and cows. It was a rare occasion that we went out for restaurant food and store bought food was mostly produce and jarred and canned goods.

I never realized how good I had it until now. And I really miss it.

It wasn't until we moved back to the States that we started eating badly and that's also when a lot of my symptoms started. Slowly and gradually.

Lucky for me, Oregon is a huge hippy and health-nut state so getting organic, grass fed, free range, and otherwise unaltered foods is pretty easy. It's just expensive. So, my new quest is to compare prices for the affordable stuff now.

Sneak Attack

Comment

It really does make a huge difference. I remember all the "advances" in the 1960's when things like margarine became popular. "Better Living Through Chemistry" was a big slogan back then. Turns out, it wasn't better after all, except for lining the pockets of some few people.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Weekends aren't long enough. They should be at least 4 days.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        There seems to be a push to raise cattle without all the extra crap they use to over fatten them...Antibiotics seem to be an issue finely,so maybe back to unadulterated food supply again...crosses fingers just in case..
                        How would such a system be able to produce enough cattle to meet the demand for beef? Cattle raising already uses ridiculous amounts of land and energy, (causing unspeakable amounts of pollution in the process). Unless people start to radically rethink what they consider a 'proper meal' to be, then I don't think we can afford to start raising all our cows organically. Humans evolved to tolerate and make use of meat, but we don't need it every single day, and can live quite well without it if we eat a good range of food (our long intestines were the evolutionary consequence of a diet of mainly plant-based food, but we were able to adapt quickly to the introduction of meat once we had ways of making it palatable). Unless this message gets through, and the demand for meat decreases dramatically, I don't see any other option but to pump our animals full of potentially harmful substances. Otherwise statistics like this;
                        According to calculations of the United Nations Environment Programme, the calories that are lost by feeding cereals to animals, instead of using them directly as human food, could theoretically feed an extra 3.5 billion people.
                        (quote from = http://www.globalagriculture.org/rep...imal-feed.html)

are just going to get worse.

Personally, I'm keeping everything crossed that one day most cheap supermarket meat will be made in laboratories, cleanly and without the need for acres of land, tones of resources and without making our stinking species' destruction of the planet even worse. There'll be uproar about it when/if this technology ever becomes commercially available, but I'd eat meat for sure then.. having not touched it since age 6!
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

This is true, people eat an awful lot of meat at every meal and consider it to be normal (because tradition and disposable income I guess?). I was raised that way, and the hubby and I have noticed that if we eat meat every day we end up feeling lazy and sleepy more than if we just eat meat a few times a week and throw in some veggie courses in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                            This is true, people eat an awful lot of meat at every meal and consider it to be normal (because tradition and disposable income I guess?). I was raised that way, and the hubby and I have noticed that if we eat meat every day we end up feeling lazy and sleepy more than if we just eat meat a few times a week and throw in some veggie courses in the mix.
                            It's such a shame. Obviously, I can't possibly imagine what the taste would be, but people here are saying that organic, grass raised beef tastes better. Imagine a world where all cattle were raised like that, and you either ate meat grown in a lab that no animal needed to die for, or had to pay a lot of money for high quality meat from the animal (and rightly so.. a life was taken for your right to enjoy that meat, and farmers deserve to be paid far better than they are: it would be nice to at least break even rather than being paid less than the cost of production). That's my dream for the future. That, and better care for the elderly; they should get the same standard of care as my company provides. We support younger people, who have living relatives that can complain, and we're paid a living wage above the minimum, and we are constantly being trained because our company can afford to do so. These are people who can't serve in the armed forces, can't pay taxes, have no choice but to live on social payouts their entire adult life. The elderly though.. some of whom have served to protect their country, those who worked hard and paid taxes their whole lives, spend their final days bundled into over-crowded understaffed homes, and are cared for by people who are underpaid for what they do, undervalued, and under-trained. It's disgusting.

So my ideal future is one where we switch to mainly lab produced meat and in doing so discover that most dementia was caused by eating drugged up meat all along, so fewer elderly people need care and.. then we can all live happily ever after.. or at least until Putin's finger slips..

The ramblings of a bored lunatic.

Comment

I'm going to add my own better care and awareness for the well-being of animals to that list. Both domestic and wild.

Comment

Used the very last of my money to buy building materials to build a bed in my vehicle. If I don't get a job soon, shit's gonna get real. (and I'm weirdly okay with living homeless in my vehicle for the summer)

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X