X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by iris View Post
    Also thinking about runes. I've been working with them for some months now. It's funny how they always make sense, and how they change. Yea. I should go to sleep soon
    If you think about it, it makes sense that the runes are always changing. In a way, they are the magic of language, and language is what has shaped our universe, our beliefs, and who we are. We use our words to express ourselves and to tell stories, and as we do, we never say the same things twice. Each iteration is always changing, expanding, and growing, just as we do and our culture does. Even in the spaces between the words, the silence, it speaks volumes. Language is word, word is sound, sound is vibration, vibration is energy, and energy is everything. I guess you could say that through touching the runes, you can touch all of creation.

Comment

The fact the Obama administration changed the oath for newly made citizens so they no longer have to pledge to defend the constitution or America to become a citizen. Why do I see so much of the final days of Rome in what is being done now?
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Somebody donated decals to a local police dep't. for their cars. They read "In God We Trust", and it's causing a big debate. (My first thought was that if they have a K-9 unit, that car should have one reading "In Dog We Trust".)
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          The fact the Obama administration changed the oath for newly made citizens so they no longer have to pledge to defend the constitution or America to become a citizen. Why do I see so much of the final days of Rome in what is being done now?
          Do you have the article for this? I want to see the exact phrasing before I comment.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Do you have the article for this? I want to see the exact phrasing before I comment.
            It's still coming in as piecemeal but here is one http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...utm_medium=RSS or http://www.kpho.com/story/29612686/n...r-arms-in-oath

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              Somebody donated decals to a local police dep't. for their cars. They read "In God We Trust", and it's causing a big debate. (My first thought was that if they have a K-9 unit, that car should have one reading "In Dog We Trust".)
              At the High School, I am on a committee working on "student behavior and involvement." One section of the committee has found a speaker for the students about the importance of involvement. This guy does either a secular verion, or a Jesus version.

Because we are a public school, we will be buying the secular version, but... while at a meeting, the other committee members were expressing regret that we couldn't buy the Jesus version.

If there had been the slightest possibility that they could push through the Jesus version, I would have made a pain-in-the-ass of myself to fight against it - the Jesus version would actually TURN OFF the majority of kids who really need whatever message we are hopefully delivering for our bucks, because whatever he said would be written off (by them, in all probability) as churchy-preachy-bull... IMHO.

Fortunately I was able to keep out of it because there is no possibility of the Jesus version happening.

Which is good, because I still get evil looks for suggesting that we put condom machines in the b-rooms when we were looking at the number of pregnancies in 9th grade students (9th grade = 13 or 14 year old girlchildren).

I tried to explain that you can teach abstinace and deal with the many pregnancies, or you can support birth control and deal with fewer pregnancies. Unfortunately, the logic of realism fails in the face of churchy idealism, and I come off smelling like brimstone (which is what I actually do use as deodorant, FYI).

I want to knock their heads together like a set of Newton's Spheres.

(P.S. Hopefully the kids already know which gas station bathrooms have contraceptive machines anyway.)
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

^^^ The public schools here now allow students to have religiously-oriented groups, and to do school projects based in religion. It's weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                That's about not wanting to use weaponry.

There's also some story floating around about the Gov't. wanting to deny gun ownership to the elderly - the truth is, they're reviewing ownership by Social Security recipients who have a representative payee. If you have a rep. payee, you've probably been declared mentally incompentent, as in having Alzheimers, etc. Nursing homes don't allow guns anyway, as far as I know.
                sigpic

Comment

Well Hawk,things have changed from when I was a kid. While my Grandmother(The french Catholic one) lived with us,we had to go to catechism,and we did it at a public school rec room. But that was back in the 50's. It takes time for things to change. We got off for an hour for it(time out of school)
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

^^^ The public schools here now allow students to have religiously-oriented groups, and to do school projects based in religion. It's weird.

- - - Updated - - -

That's about not wanting to use weaponry.

There's also some story floating around about the Gov't. wanting to deny gun ownership to the elderly - the truth is, they're reviewing ownership by Social Security recipients who have a representative payee. If you have a rep. payee, you've probably been declared mentally incompentent, as in having Alzheimers, etc. Nursing homes don't allow guns anyway, as far as I know.
                    The elderly and the Vets themselves is one story that one has been being pushed for sometime. I do agree it's front story is about people who've been found requiring a rep of some sort to handle their affairs.

As far as not wanting to use weapons the Amish, the Mennonites and many others have refused to use arms since this country was founded but have served that requirement of the oath in other capacities. Even the notion of bearing arms to support and defend has been argued a number of times as to what bearing arms actually means and it's been determined that fighting wildfires was using arms to defend by the Amish and Mennonite's during WWII. Lots of ways to address the idea of bearing arms even when it is based upon religious perceptions.

Comment

The groups (or clubs) shouldn't be a problem, as long as ANY religion is allowed to have a school-sponsored group/club, and no "special privileges" are granted to any group that are not grantes to all groups (such as, for example, taking a day off from class to attend some special event without having it count against some attendance policy).

But the test doesn't happen until, say, a group of Satanists or pagans or atheists or some other... uhm... non-community-traditional group wants to form as a school recognized group or club. When this happens, generally either the school drops it's policy of allowing Christian groups/clubs, or the ACLU gets involved.

But neither of those things happen until a non-community-traditional group (I think I just invented a useful phrase-ish word thing ) runs the experiment.

As far as school projects go... for me, it depends on the project, the objectives, and the projected outcome. When I was teaching academic writing (i.e.: formal college-type research papers), I'd get too many students (high school seniors) who wanted to write about creationism. With each student (regardless of topic), I'd meet and we'd talk about what to do, how to do it, and potential problems.

The "creationism" students were a pain. I'd explain that, if they believe in creationism, the most likely flaw would be that they would write a persuasive paper instead of a research paper. I explained how to avoid that major error. But they ALWAYS made the mistake anyway, and I made sure it cost them...

What fools these mortals be!
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

^^^ They're 99% Christian here, most of those being Baptist. "They" meaning the entire population - teachers, cops, lawyers. It'd be hysterical if there was a sudden influx of non-community-traditionals! (I like the phrase.)
                        sigpic

Comment

The laughable thing is that everybody is always all about freedom, and ready to die for it, unless somebody wants to do something they don't like. Then, it's all about "American values" and "the breakdown of society in the hands of the scum suckers."

Freedom of speech! And if you don't like it, shut up!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            The groups (or clubs) shouldn't be a problem, as long as ANY religion is allowed to have a school-sponsored group/club, and no "special privileges" are granted to any group that are not grantes to all groups (such as, for example, taking a day off from class to attend some special event without having it count against some attendance policy).

But the test doesn't happen until, say, a group of Satanists or pagans or atheists or some other... uhm... non-community-traditional group wants to form as a school recognized group or club. When this happens, generally either the school drops it's policy of allowing Christian groups/clubs, or the ACLU gets involved.

But neither of those things happen until a non-community-traditional group (I think I just invented a useful phrase-ish word thing ) runs the experiment.

As far as school projects go... for me, it depends on the project, the objectives, and the projected outcome. When I was teaching academic writing (i.e.: formal college-type research papers), I'd get too many students (high school seniors) who wanted to write about creationism. With each student (regardless of topic), I'd meet and we'd talk about what to do, how to do it, and potential problems.

The "creationism" students were a pain. I'd explain that, if they believe in creationism, the most likely flaw would be that they would write a persuasive paper instead of a research paper. I explained how to avoid that major error. But they ALWAYS made the mistake anyway, and I made sure it cost them...

What fools these mortals be!

Haha I had to write a research paper in my dual credit english class, and my topic was "Intelligent Design" I tore that crap to shreds.

They provided us a list of topics to choose from and the only one my teacher refused to allow anyone to write on was pro-choice/pro-life which was totally fine by me. I didn't want anything to do with that topic.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Ripping creationism apart is not exactly hard. It's like getting wet during a storm: not very difficult.

Comment

Another movie theater shooting, in Louisiana this time. People are so incredibly messed up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X