X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by Dez View Post
    This might interest you, Corbin: I saw something similar a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the exact article.

This is very accurate to my experience.
    I think so too, from what I've seen. My 25 year old daughter would love to get a house, but she's paying $900 a month in student loans.

Fortunately, she and her husband can meet that, without living too tight (she's in the medical field), but a house is pretty much out of the picture, for a while.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

All this talk about huge expenses...

When I was living down in Iowa, in that small town of Gowrie, the house I was living in was my eldest stepson's. He bought it for a mere $13k. Before my ex and I were divorced, she and I were looking at a real nice, comfortable 3 bedroom house, with updated bathrooms and kitchen, full finished basement, 3-season porch, two garages (one-car attached and a 2-car detached), on quite a large yard, just on the outskirts of town. $47,000.

The house I'm in right now, with all this acreage, WAS valued at $396,000 when it peaked. Just the house, at this point, is valued at less than 188k. Land is still about the same, at 90,000.

I'd rather live somewhere like the outskirts of that tiny town in the middle of nowhere. PITI and utilities totaling no more than about $400 a month. 30 minutes to shopping, hospitals and whatnot but utilities were within walking distance, even for me.

I miss that. Too much big city in my world. It's invading my space.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Dez;146465

[url
        http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-16/lost-generation-of-homeowners-may-just-be-on-hold[/url]

This is very accurate to my experience. I need to hold down a job to pay my student loans, but still need the darn degree! And it was one that planned on higher education to be useful, so there's no telling if that will ever happen now. All of that has to be sorted out before I can consider a home, or even advance much farther at my job.
        thank goodness for the gi bill...it took 4 years...2 to finish college and 2 to get a full time professional job, but I'm on track to have my student loans from before i joined the navy paid off by this time next year.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

So many new posts... not enough lunch break... I'll be back later...

Comment

Thal's sig has expanded.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              All this talk about huge expenses...

When I was living down in Iowa, in that small town of Gowrie, the house I was living in was my eldest stepson's. He bought it for a mere $13k. Before my ex and I were divorced, she and I were looking at a real nice, comfortable 3 bedroom house, with updated bathrooms and kitchen, full finished basement, 3-season porch, two garages (one-car attached and a 2-car detached), on quite a large yard, just on the outskirts of town. $47,000.

The house I'm in right now, with all this acreage, WAS valued at $396,000 when it peaked. Just the house, at this point, is valued at less than 188k. Land is still about the same, at 90,000.

I'd rather live somewhere like the outskirts of that tiny town in the middle of nowhere. PITI and utilities totaling no more than about $400 a month. 30 minutes to shopping, hospitals and whatnot but utilities were within walking distance, even for me.

I miss that. Too much big city in my world. It's invading my space.

There is a part of me that would like to be in a remote spot. Another cringes as I consider it. My current job, I like. The company I am with offers damn fine pension benefits, and I have only 13 more years before I fully vest. To move remote now would occasion me to lose that, since anything remote and not urban and relatively small would require a 2 to 3 hour commute to said good job ... one way ... and that isn't happening.

Due to mistakes in prior young years, and not knowing that paying things off asap hurts credit rating more than helps, few if any banks want to give me a mortgage at this time. Some do, but with ridiculous terms.

So. For the next 13 to 15 years, I will continue to rent in an urban area, and work toward getting that rating solid. Once I am fully vested, I will revisit the idea then.

My mother has retired to a teeny remote place. She loves it. I feel restless and slightly irritable when I visit. I am not sure if that is due to the area not calling to me, or if my spirit wants more cosmopolitan things than I might wish.

Comment

Just got back home from the army department. They told me to come next year... Phew.... It was really stressful.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                  I need to hold down a job to pay my student loans, but still need the darn degree! And it was one that planned on higher education to be useful, so there's no telling if that will ever happen now. All of that has to be sorted out before I can consider a home, or even advance much farther at my job.
                  That's about my lot too. Went to school, graduated, paid off my loans somehow, but my degree hasn't gotten me anywhere. Although a big part of that is not having any kind of support during and after college, so I've never really had the means of doing real internships. So here I am, 27 with a 4-year, ASIST certified, trained in crisis control and prevention, and I'm working in retail for the foreseeable future because there are no jobs to be had here without a graduate degree (which I can't afford right now) or some real connections. Same thing for my husband, graduated with certifications and honors, and he can't even get a basic security job -- hell, he can't even get a full-time job.

Our only options are really to sit tight, try to take our ego's of being older than most of the kids currently graduating and getting jobs that we haven't been able to out of the mix, and hope some solutions come our way. At this point, our only real viable option to get out of retail is to move to a different state with more jobs and less competition (or educational requirements). It's just not even close to where I thought we would be by this point in our lives, and I can't honestly see it getting much better over the next several years without some kind of intervention and dumb luck.

Comment

It's official! The roommates and I signed the lease and we're moving into the duplex this Saturday :bounce: The landlord even told me that I could keep my chinchilla, or "chachilla" as he called it.

Comment

Cable tracing solves so many problems.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Nobody here knows my age, 'cept the staff. I think.

Stealthy doc.
                        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                        sigpic
                        In Days of yore,
                        From Britain's shore
                        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                        And planted firm Britannia's flag
                        On Canada's fair domain.
                        Here may it wave,
                        Our boast, our pride
                        And joined in love together,
                        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                          It's official! The roommates and I signed the lease and we're moving into the duplex this Saturday :bounce: The landlord even told me that I could keep my chinchilla, or "chachilla" as he called it.
                          Awesome news! Congratulations!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                            Awesome news! Congratulations!
                            Thanks, Chain!

Comment

I'm thinking that some of my coworkers have really horrible judgement.... You are 30 she is 20, (and your boss) you should not be going to her place and drinking and sleeping with her....... Yeesh, I know you know better than this, you are literally the 2nd dude, and it's only been a few months..... Act your dang age!
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm way too stoned.

It took me over 40 minutes to write like 3 sentences, in two posts. I'm not exactly sure, (it might have been more like 6 sentences) which just figures. I'm just gonna leave before I get into too much trouble, or something. Besides, I'm already up to 5 sentences, here, in just over 30 minutes, or so. Oops, make that six sentences, and a one-word sentence - to round out number seven.

Laters.

Comment

Working...
                                X