X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    It appears to be a paraphrase of

“What’s so hard about pulling a sword out of a stone? The real work’s already been done. You ought to make yourself useful and find the man who put the sword in the stone in the first place, eh?”

from Men at Arms by Terry and Lynn Prachett.

I say appears because it is 1:18 AM and I cannot be arsed to confirm my sources.
    That's the one.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Um. Didn't the man that put the sword into the stone like, dead?
    Best kind of king. Nice and safely dead, doesn't run around chopping peoples' heads off. Maybe we should elect a dead guy (the VP only takes over if the president dies while in office, or is incapable of doing the job, and dead man would do just fine).

We could have him stuffed like Trigger and just prop him up in his chair. Weekend at Bernie's on a national scale.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Somewhere in between.

I've pulled the stuff off the dish (easy, but the dish was in the farm dump & the 'skeeters were terrible), I'll plug the bolt holes with epoxy putty, and I'm currently pursuing on-line pond catalogues to get an idea of what I need...

Looks like about $120 - 200, if I buy new.

I have about 4 different size pumps. They're not all together so I can't verify.

One is small, like from a desktop waterfall feature.
      Kenroy-Home-Bliss-Indoor-Table-Fountain.jpg

One was used as a bilge pump on my little two-seater Hydrostream.
      0001389352256_500X500.jpg

The other two were from like patio or backyard water features - the cheap ass resin sculpted bear or deer displays.
      3351lg.jpg3361Deer.jpg

Plus, I have a couple way bigger ones. No clue how many still work but if I can get someone to locate any of them, they're easy to test. Want me to look into one of these needles, in our haystack of a garage?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Corvus, your brother is a tool. If you ever need to escape, we have a couch.
        Thankyou. I really appreciate that you keep offering. With any luck he's supposed to be going back to rehab. The parole board is trying to get a court order to compel his insurance to pay for rehab Because otherwise he can't go and they've realized he won't stop on his own. The entire thing is rather asinine but at the very least he's gone for a few months if it works. I just don't get how someone ends up this loathsome.
        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
          while hydrogen peroxide is an anti-septic, we don't have any. I think we had a big bottle a few weeks ago after I complained (I've been complaining about a lack of disinfectant for months) but my brother took the entire bottle and did god knows what with it. Considering he used the rubbing alcohol to clean his pipe/bong, he might've taken it for that. I'm not sure if it would work though since I know nothing about that sort of thing.

It's just a thing I'm noticing. What prompted it is a recurring ingrown toenail (which happened after the nail grew back, after a home delivery grocery guy dropped a bag of cans on my toe and I think that's why the growth was messed up). The nail was cutting into the skin again and I wanted a disinfectant for it. I should probably get it dealt with my a doctor so it actually takes care of it but I really hate going to the doc for something so trivial.
          I'm jumping in here late, without reading anything past this post, but the best thing for you to try and get is some iodine. Brand name is Betadine here in Australia, though Torey had never heard of it so I don't know what's available in the US. Iodine also kills most fungal infections, so it's perfect for feet and ingrown toenails.

I'm not really sure why America as a country seems obsessed with hydrogen peroxide for wounds. It actually DAMAGES wounds and healing cells unless it's very dilute. This is why we call skin disinfectants 'antispetic' rather than 'disinfectant'... because most surface disinfectants are actually not appropriate to put onto open wounds. Incidentally, alcohol is also in this category... alcohol damages new cells and is not supposed to be put on open wounds. The best thing to do with a fresh cut is to run it under the water tap, then dress it with a bandaid or a wound dressing and bandage. Iodine on skinned knees is good. Ingrown toenails are best painted with iodine, because it helps prevent the secondary fungal infections without damaging healing tissues.

As for the doc re an ingrown nail... unless it's actually created a big unhealing sore, you should be able to deal with it at home. The only thing a doctor can do is prescribe you antibiotics or antifungals, or allow you to have the nail removed. The pharmacist would be more helpful than the doctor. At least... that's what it's like here in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            I'm jumping in here late, without reading anything past this post, but the best thing for you to try and get is some iodine. Brand name is Betadine here in Australia, though Torey had never heard of it so I don't know what's available in the US. Iodine also kills most fungal infections, so it's perfect for feet and ingrown toenails.

I'm not really sure why America as a country seems obsessed with hydrogen peroxide for wounds. It actually DAMAGES wounds and healing cells unless it's very dilute.

(snip)

As for the doc re an ingrown nail... unless it's actually created a big unhealing sore, you should be able to deal with it at home. The only thing a doctor can do is prescribe you antibiotics or antifungals, or allow you to have the nail removed. The pharmacist would be more helpful than the doctor. At least... that's what it's like here in Australia.

Yeah...I know but I love peroxide though (less messy)--but you only use it ONCE when you VERY FIRST GET THE BOO BOO!! After that its not useful. Walmart has Betadine. We have both, and alcohol (I use it to clean implements--needles for splinters, scissors, etc).

Depending on how bad the toenail is, here, you can get the ingrown part cut back (they numb the crap out of your toe first)...I used to do toes all the time as a corpsman, because of combat boots its pretty common. Chronic foot infections aren't conductive to military operations...we do feet.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              Want me to look into one of these needles, in our haystack of a garage?
              Thank you much, Chain!

I actually found exactly what I need on Amazon, pump, complete with an assortment of sprayheads and attached filter for about $55. And it has lots & lots of good reviews.

TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit

I was thinking I needed a much more powerful pump than I actually do, and on Amazon, it's almost half the price of the other places I was looking at.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Why in hell am I driving south on a summer Saturday? I know better.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

speaking of eyes, I'm tired and mine itch. I can't even blame contacts, so I need to go to bed as I suspect the last half dozen posts are barely legible.

Corvus, your brother is a tool. If you ever need to escape, we have a couch.
                  So do we. Actually we have a bed. Welcome any time x
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Depending on how bad the toenail is, here, you can get the ingrown part cut back (they numb the crap out of your toe first)...I used to do toes all the time as a corpsman, because of combat boots its pretty common. Chronic foot infections aren't conductive to military operations...we do feet.
                    This is generally what I was thinking. I tried a few different things and the only thing that seemed to work is cutting down the ingrown side, but it keeps growing back and causing the same problem which makes me think I keep missing some of it. I keep doing it since it gives me a few weeks where it doesn't bother me.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    (snip)
                    I'll be sure to pick some up when I have the money. I'm not really worried about fungus since I don't wear socks or shoes often. I hear people who don't wear shoes much rarely get foot fungus since their feet tend to be dry. Of course since I do go barefoot it makes me worry about other kinds of infections if I have any kind of wound on my feet. There was a brief time when the nail initially grew back after all the cans fell on it that it was yellowish and kinda smelly but that's the only time I've ever had anything and it cleared up after a few soaks in salt water.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    So do we. Actually we have a bed. Welcome any time x
                    That's very sweet of you. However south aussie is a little far from the northeast us

I'm thinking that I have almost two pages of notes on just basil. Herbs have always been a weak point for me in magic so I'm trying to fix that. I should probably focus more on native species of my area but eh, I'll get to it.
                    Circe

Comment

One more day in my work week and then I'm off. I need this day off to. Breakfast with the hubs tomorrow and off to the flea market. I love the flea market I never buy anything except fresh made pork rinds but good lord are they AHmazing!! They're sooo crisp and delightful.. oh my word my mouth is watering. Hurry up Sunday.
                      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

*happy dance* the easter egg set I ordered came in today!!! Only problem is that they're smaller than the ones I had and was basing the baby dragons off of. Thankfully 4 out of the 10 fit, so all is well~ I'll just have to sell the others as the figures themselves and at least its not like I made up and baked like 20 of 30 of them yet and they don't fit.

Still waiting on my new airbrush set to ship though. Now it's off to the store to acquire glitter!!! Lots and lots of glitter!!!
                        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          Thank you much, Chain!

I actually found exactly what I need on Amazon, pump, complete with an assortment of sprayheads and attached filter for about $55. And it has lots & lots of good reviews.

TetraPond Filtration Fountain Kit

I was thinking I needed a much more powerful pump than I actually do, and on Amazon, it's almost half the price of the other places I was looking at.
                          With sprayheads AND filter? That's way more than I can get my hands on, here. Looks like you got a winner, there!

Now I want one. LOL

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

That if someone doesn't get back on their meds and get control of their more idiotic impulses soon then they're going to deliver an insult that won't be forgiven and then wonder why the entire family jumps down their throat.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                              With sprayheads AND filter? That's way more than I can get my hands on, here. Looks like you got a winner, there!

Now I want one. LOL
                              Here's what I have in mind (except it will be surrounded by grass, and I want it to squirt higher):

image.jpg

It should provide hours of fun for frogs and birds.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm thinking about my parents. I don't know if my mom really accepts my religion. She says she doesn't know. I just don't know what to do anymore.
                                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                                X