Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

This forum is a candle in the window. I am sick to death of trolls.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I used to be on a Manson forum. OMG. It was like troll scratch fever over there! Its where I honed my clawing skills. The mods pretty much let us eat them up till they got bored. I think it's a good balance here. Though I do find it funny when a troll finds their way here. I'm like, really? Here? Then I think they really must be coocoo and I'm like how did you function to just log on to your computer there nutty?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Somehow, I got mixed up with Yahoo trolls about 7 years ago. When Yahoo took down their message boards, several private boards were made, with the idea of trolls trolling each other, and a handful of us trying to keep order. Some of those boards are still around but they're pretty lame now.
        sigpic

Comment

I stay away from Yahoo but I've made the rounds of terribly run pagan forums. The worst was pretty much run by the trolls... if you weren't on their elite list then you were fodder for the elite and you couldn't do shit about it. How it managed to stay such a large forum for so long I'll never know.

Comment

There used to be one really good Yahoo board I was on as a teenager. I was sad when they went away.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't really see the issue in debates, or its easy access, to be a troll problem, but more like Rae'ya said about expectations. I think.

Some people want to discuss a controversial topic without having to debate or argue it. Just looking for other people's thoughts. But, often, such a discussion turns into a debate. Typically, on some specific aspect of the topic. This is why we HAVE the debates as their own area. Debates go there. The exchange of thoughts and feelings don't.

Then there's members here that hate debates, and want nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Mix that all up and there's an obvious disconnect, at least for some few members that feel obliged to debate anyone's and everyone's beliefs, as it were. That, in a nutshell, is what we're hoping to put a lid on -- that entire can of worms.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                I, personally, love heated debates. I enjoy working with logic, semantics, and whatnot, to undermine social norms, for instance. There's no sources, no dictionaries, no extraneous links and quotes, just language. Language being carefully applied to describe an alternative truth. Those are fun! But people still reveal thin skin even in such frivolous, good-natured arguments. It's like it takes a special breed of person to take on arguments/debates as they're meant to be - discussions of opposing viewpoints, with supporting statements, and see where that puzzle takes us.
                This is why, whenever I have the opportunity, I take the pro-consentual-cannibalism stance

I truly love debates, and I love learning how to be a master debater (heh). This has been one of the best forums for me because our Debates threads actually do maintain some sense of decorum. It kind of helps me see where my own arguments and opinions could use some polish. In a lot of other forums, you start out with a civilized debate about something even mildly controversial, and within a page or two it becomes the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  This is why, whenever I have the opportunity, I take the pro-consentual-cannibalism stance

I truly love debates, and I love learning how to be a master debater (heh). This has been one of the best forums for me because our Debates threads actually do maintain some sense of decorum. It kind of helps me see where my own arguments and opinions could use some polish. In a lot of other forums, you start out with a civilized debate about something even mildly controversial, and within a page or two it becomes the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.
                  I agree. I love debating, it helps me be better at defending myself, and often helps me to reevaluate my opinons/beliefs. Also helps me with words, learning to say what you actually want to say.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    In a lot of other forums, you start out with a civilized debate about something even mildly controversial, and within a page or two it becomes the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.
                    That's cuz respect isn't just s word in the rule book here. It's something that's actually practiced here by virtually all parties involved.
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                    Tribe of my Tribe
                    Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      That's cuz respect isn't just s word in the rule book here. It's something that's actually practiced here by virtually all parties involved.
                      That's true. There's horror stories, of almost anywhere, except here. I would think the few argumentative members that we do have to cope with are very likely accustomed to those horrific debate places.

I can tell you all, having been involved in some the best debates this site has seen, the problematic events are the exception, not the rule. Bonus! If it were left to me, which, thankfully it isn't, anyone that couldn't behave themselves in a respectful, though maybe heated, debate, they would lose access to debates, if not the site. I cannot respect someone that disrespects our members... our family. It's as simple as that.

That should explain, at least in one sense, why member input, on how to cordon off our most adversarial section, is important to the not just the administration but the entire staff.

However, as usual, I could very well be talking out my ass. That happens.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

We have an awful lot of sub-sections here already....but one forum I still visit from the old days I mentioned a few posts back has a "Flaming" section, where people go simply for the purpose of arguing. Most of the members who are active there aren't active anywhere else - it's really just a license to troll nastily and I don't think that would work here. It'd be against the whole feeling of this place......I personally think the debates are handled pretty well now - we all know pretty much how far to go in public, and people can always take it private.

Some topics will naturally morph into debates - but as some have noted, they generally stay respectful. I've found a nice balance here of "freedom of speech" and "common sense" - perhaps we should stop discussing reorganizing the forum, and start discussing reorganizing the world? Kidding....kinda....
                        sigpic

Comment

A number of posts have been removed from this thread.

Since they were up long enough to be noticed by most of the active participants at the time, I'm going to make a very brief statement and not answer questions.

1) Disciplinary measures while a concern that the staff does look at internally from time to time and may (or may not) at some point in the future request commentary on are beyond the scope of this thread and will be considered off topic and removed without warning for the duration of this specific thread.

2) The overwhelming staff annoyance expressed in several of the removed posts have to deal with matters extending beyond the scope of this thread and while the staff largely shares the same general annoyance over those concerns, we arguably should have kept that annoyance out of this thread. With that said, back to forum re-organization.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Coming into this a little late, but what if, instead of having to check a box or whatnot, there was a simple reminder that automatically shows up anytime a thread gets listed as a debate at the top of the page? Something quick and simple, in bold red to make it noticable: Please remember to keep respectful. No flaming. No trolling. Etc.

Say somewhere in this area:
                            PF Debate2.jpg

On another note, under the Friends and Family Board, what about a relationship subforum? Also, I feel like Hobbies could be broken down a little more. Maybe a tech subforum for anything technology related. An arts and crafts subforum? Any interest in subforums for the Adult section?
                            Attached Files
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

It could be like a permanent announcement type thing along the top perhaps?

But I also am thinking that we know the rules. If you break them, disciplinary measures follow. It's that simple. Be polite. If you can't be polite, then politely F*** off.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Yea, it's just I also understand on the otherside, a friendly reminded where it's most common for things to get out of hand and quickly, isn't going to hurt anything.
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X