X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets chit chat thread

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    I keep thinking more and more about why do dogs hate cats... Nature? Who knows....
    Ok, now I have to take the dog out, and hug the cat almost to death after this.
    Dogs don't inherently hate cats, that's just a myth.

However, most dogs like to chase things that run. And most cats do a very good job of running.

It would be more accurate to say that dogs don't understand cats very well, which can sometimes lead to... difficulties lol

Comment

Most of the dogs that I've had found cats all sorts of entertaining. The cat opinions on them varied. Some cats avoided them, some played games with them, one politely informed a bear masquerading as a chocolate lab that he was her personal property and that she was going to steal from his food bowl (she got away with it too, not sure any of the others did).
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        Dogs don't inherently hate cats, that's just a myth.

However, most dogs like to chase things that run. And most cats do a very good job of running.

It would be more accurate to say that dogs don't understand cats very well, which can sometimes lead to... difficulties lol
        Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks for explaining to me Our cat definitely does a good job in running
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Hee, when Philip and I lived together back home with our three cats and two dogs, the pups were curious about the kitties. But since cats are a-holes, they met a butt-sniff with a swat on the hindquarters. Before too long the dogs learned to ignore the cats.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

My dogs have started fighting and I don't know what to do with them. We pull em apart and do the whole, "No, naughty, bad." But I have no idea how to fix it. Mostly it's our little guy, he's 3 now... or 4. And getting grumpy. Koda will step on him or something cause she doesn't know he's there or forgets her size and he goes into full on attack mode. And then she gets snarly back. Stoeger has gotten a couple gashes now because she literally tries to pick him up and fling him away from her to get him to stop one time. Ugh. I'm seriously starting to worry about stress and anxiety in Stoeg.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              My dogs have started fighting and I don't know what to do with them. We pull em apart and do the whole, "No, naughty, bad." But I have no idea how to fix it. Mostly it's our little guy, he's 3 now... or 4. And getting grumpy. Koda will step on him or something cause she doesn't know he's there or forgets her size and he goes into full on attack mode. And then she gets snarly back. Stoeger has gotten a couple gashes now because she literally tries to pick him up and fling him away from her to get him to stop one time. Ugh. I'm seriously starting to worry about stress and anxiety in Stoeg.
              I don't have enough time to reply right now as I'm about to head into work. But if you feel like you need some advice post up some more examples and context and I might be able to help. If this is just a venty thinv then feel free to ignore my meddling.

Comment

It was more venting, but I am always open to advice. Our little guy has just gotten to be a handful in the last year or so, but there's been a lot of changes for him too. We moved to a new house, got a puppy that grew to be five times his size, then had a baby on him. He's gotten really bone aggressive, that's where it all started. He would get mean if another dog tried to take his bone. Snarling and snapping mean. Now he's been turning on Koda whenever she pushes him anywhere, which happens when she gets excited and they're both going to the door, or to me, etc. He's also had that knee issue going on, though we haven't really had any issue with it for a couple months and I just watch him really close to be sure it's not flaring up again. He just seems like he's getting more aloof. That's the best way I can describe it. It worries me. I try to give him plenty of attention, but I don't think he's handling not being the only dog very well, with another dog and a baby disturbing his life in the last 6 months to a year.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                  It was more venting, but I am always open to advice. Our little guy has just gotten to be a handful in the last year or so, but there's been a lot of changes for him too. We moved to a new house, got a puppy that grew to be five times his size, then had a baby on him. He's gotten really bone aggressive, that's where it all started. He would get mean if another dog tried to take his bone. Snarling and snapping mean. Now he's been turning on Koda whenever she pushes him anywhere, which happens when she gets excited and they're both going to the door, or to me, etc. He's also had that knee issue going on, though we haven't really had any issue with it for a couple months and I just watch him really close to be sure it's not flaring up again. He just seems like he's getting more aloof. That's the best way I can describe it. It worries me. I try to give him plenty of attention, but I don't think he's handling not being the only dog very well, with another dog and a baby disturbing his life in the last 6 months to a year.
                  I think you're right that he's not coping very well with his new situation.

Getting snappy over bones and things is called 'Resource Guarding' and the absolute worst thing you can do is force the issue or put him in a situation to have the thing he's guarding taken away. I would stop giving them bones. If he is guarding against you as well then just stop bones and remove all access to things that he guards. If it's just with the other dog then ensure they are well separated and don't let them back together until the bones or whatever are finished with. Resource guarders usually give you clear signals BEFORE they get snappy, so watch for those. They usually go very still, may tense their body up, hold onto the item and look at you from the corner of their eye. If you don't back off there may then be a growl, then there's the snarly snap. Most people don't recognise the early signs and so think that the snapping is coming out of nowhere, but it isn't. If you ever see these early signs then stop, don't look directly at him and back off. Do not push it. Resource guarding often gets worse and the more they 'practice' it because you try to win, the worse it will become. But do get in the habit of making a trade for things that he isn't guarding. So even if he's happy for you to take his toys, always trade it for another toy or a treat or something. It's generally good to not take things away from a resource guarder, but when you do then trade so that he is not coming out empty handed, so to speak.

Snapping at the other dog... this part is tricky. Obviously your other dog is bigger and is willing to fight back, and will probably win the fights. This is a very confronting situation for a lot of dogs. Dogs have very complex social rules and communications. If dogs who live together are getting into an actual fight (vs body language, growls and warning snaps) then there are serious issues between them. These things are supposed to be sorted out with the body language and growling stuff... so when they aren't it gets very difficult for them and for you. And keep in the back of your mind that sometimes dogs need a divorce. Yes, dogs are social creatures, but they are not pack animals in the same way as wolves. Dog 'packs' are fluid and based on current circumstance and availability of resources. Dogs who don't get along wont stay together 'in the wild'. The static family 'packs' that we enforce as human families are largely unnatural to dogs, which creates some issues when you have two personalities who don't coexist well.

There's a few things you can try to see if you can manage this. But be aware that it may not work. If you were my client, I would suggest that you come in for a behavioural consult so that we can assess whether it's safe to try to manage it and whether extra things like medications are warranted. But obviously that's not an option for you.

1) Don't tell them off. It doesn't work, especially when they are in a highly aroused state. Dogs' brain chemistry changes when they are aroused... and by that I mean excited, anxious, stressed, fearful or aggressive. Any yelling or stern voices that you use in this situation will a) not have the effect you want it to; b) may actually incense them further (you then have dogs turning on owners when they try to pull them apart) or c) will actually encourage them. There is some evidence to suggest that when you yell at the dog for barking, growling or fighting, some dogs actually take that as you joining in and so they feed off that further. Keep your voice calm, make minimal noises and just separate them. Walk them to opposite sides of the yard, or different rooms... out of sight of each other preferably. Then try to get their attention with known commands like 'sit'.

2) Try to keep the routine as stable as possible. I know this is really hard with a new baby, but do what you can to keep the routine. Try to have regular meal times, regular walk times, and try not to surprise the dogs with unusual or unexpected occurrences. Of course these things will happen, and you can't help that, but do your best to minimise them. Routine is really, really important for stress and anxiety, as well as knowing what is expected. Which leads in to...

3) If they aren't already trained, make it a priority. This doesn't have to be with external obedience classes. You can do it at home for only the cost of ten minutes of time per day. Google 'positive reinforcement training' or 'clicker training' or something and you'll probably come up with a million sites and youtube videos. Only use positive reinforcement techniques... by that I mean use a treat/reward to lead them into doing the action, say the word when the action is completed and give them the treat (or click if you are doing clicker training, then treat). This is the technique we use. It's also the technique they use to train animals at the zoo to have medical procedures done. It works well and does not increase anxiety. Some of the old school techniques increase stress and anxiety and are really not appropriate for any dogs, let alone dogs who are having stress issues.

4) Use the training to teach them what is expected of them. Teach them that when you get home they don't get to greet you at the door but have to sit and wait for you to pat them. Don't give them attention until they've sat at your feet. Teach them to sit and drop at the doorway instead of rushing into the room. Teach them to sit and wait at the food bowls before feeding. It takes some time, but it will stop the rushing and jostling and pushing each other. And if they aren't pushing each other then they aren't competing for the resource (your attention counts as a resource). If your little guy is more attached to you, then try to have your hubby be the one who gives the other dog more attention/walks/feeding etc. If she's still young then we may be able to transfer some of her bond to him, which then takes the pressure off your little guy.

5) And most importantly. Sit down with hubby and have a serious chat about what you are and aren't willing to allow in your house. Remembering that you have a baby, and in 6-12mths that baby will start interacting with the dogs. Toddlers and dogs really don't mix well, so if you have a volatile situation with the dogs then it may become dangerous for your baby. You may have to make a difficult decision, because it may not be safe for you to keep both dogs. And if that's a decision that you make, you need to know which dog you wish to keep. Most people will surrender the dog that they perceive as the aggressor (which I assume for you is the little dog?) but that's not actually always the case. Sometimes the problem is that the other dog is not respecting boundaries or is acting or reacting inappropriately. Sometimes a dog who doesn't get along with other dog is fine with people and kids. Sometimes they aren't. But as hard as it is, this is something that you need to talk about and decide for yourselves. Because at the end of the day, your baby is the priority and we must ensure that your baby is in a safe environment.

I hate to have to say this, but this is unlikely to go away on it's own. It's not something that is easily fixed. Sometimes adolescent dogs will have problems for a while but then mature, sort themselves out and be fine. But you can't count on that. Try the things I've mentioned above and have a chat with hubby and see what you think. And if you want some specific details about training then feel free to ask here or PM me for detailed instructions. I've kind of glossed over that part as I don't know what you do or don't already do. It's also really hard for me not knowing you and seeing you with the dogs, because I can't see whether your responses, reactions and automatic treatment of them is helpful or not. Sometimes we end up inadvertently making things worse... and to be perfectly honest we spend as much time retraining owners as dogs during behavioural consults!

Comment

Albert found a dead baby bird on the terrace and brought it inside. He came from the kitchen (nowhere near the balcony door, which makes me a bit nervous as to how long he was carrying it around) with something in his mouth and I assumed he stole something from the kitchen (even though there's nothing left in there to steal...we never leave stuff out), so I said "what do you have?" He dropped it and after I saw what it was, I took it away. I don't know how it died (probably just fell out of the nest, but still). He looked for it for a while after that. I know that's totally normal cat behaviour, but still...Gross.

Comment

I was never grossed out by my cat bringing me things (he doesn't live with me now, but with my parents). He used to bring me things relatively untouched, so I got things like live goldfish at my bedroom door, or a live blue tongue lizard. He had a certain meow that he would do when he came in. He'd come in, drop and then do his 'look mum, I caught you something' meow. Our other cat would eat all her catches and never shared, unless she lost hold of her mice, then she'd come get you to help her find it again.

Our cats have an enclosed cat run, so they haven't been able to get birds for many, many years. But they could still get mice and lizards and gold fish from the pond.

Comment

I had a cat that used to hunt lizards. They annoyed the heck out of her because she'd catch their tail and they'd keep running without it.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          I had a cat that used to hunt lizards. They annoyed the heck out of her because she'd catch their tail and they'd keep running without it.
                          Hah! We have blue tongue lizards, which are like the stupidest lizards on the planet when it comes to being hunted. They don't drop their tails, they are slow and chunky, and granted they can get about 20 inches long, but pretty much their survival strategy is to turn around, open their mouth and hiss. No matter how big their attacker is... they'll hiss and trust that their blue tongue will scare everything away. Which means that they are a VERY common thing for people to bring to me in boxes after they've been attacked by their dog. I love blueys, they are great to have in the garden and they make really good pets, but they really don't stand a chance against a dog or a dedicated cat.

Tomas only gets the babies, because I think the babies are the only ones that go into his cat run. But the biggest he bought me was about 8-9 inches. Dunno if he'd go up against a full grown adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Hah! We have blue tongue lizards, which are like the stupidest lizards on the planet when it comes to being hunted. They don't drop their tails, they are slow and chunky, and granted they can get about 20 inches long, but pretty much their survival strategy is to turn around, open their mouth and hiss. No matter how big their attacker is... they'll hiss and trust that their blue tongue will scare everything away. Which means that they are a VERY common thing for people to bring to me in boxes after they've been attacked by their dog. I love blueys, they are great to have in the garden and they make really good pets, but they really don't stand a chance against a dog or a dedicated cat.

Tomas only gets the babies, because I think the babies are the only ones that go into his cat run. But the biggest he bought me was about 8-9 inches. Dunno if he'd go up against a full grown adult.
                            Blue tongues rock.
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Haha it's not that dead kills gross me out that much....it's just that this one did. It was seriously a dead, barely fetal bird that fell out of its nest onto our roof terrace (we don't have a yard...the cat goes out on the terrace, which is secured with nets). It looked like a piece of meat with features. It was kind of sad as well, but mostly just a bit icky.

Comment

Our pit Lexi is bigger then our old dog Poppy. She's only 5 months!
                                IMG279.jpg

IMG281.jpg
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X