X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets chit chat thread

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Our pit Lexi is bigger then our old dog Poppy. She's only 5 months!
    She's beautiful We don't have many true Pit Bulls in Australia, 'cos they are a restricted breed and you have to jump through some hoops to get them here. About the closest I get on a daily basis is Am Staffs, and I love Am Staffs.

Comment

Our older dog has ticks. I've seen 3 now come off of her in the kitchen. I actually wear shorts in there so I can see if any get on me. One last night got on my foot. And I quickly went on a smashing spree to the little buggar. What is the best way to get rid of ticks? Medicinal baths, pills? I need some advice oh smart ones.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

There are all sorts of remedies and baths and whatnot out there, but those aren't prevention. RMSF has spread greatly in the past 20 years, and lyme disease is always a worry. So, when it comes to ticks, I spring for the stuff on the link below. I personally use K9 Advantix II

Everyday practices for TickSafe living TickSmart™ focuses on providing people at risk for dangerous tick encounters with simple, effective strategies – everyday practices – for TickSafe living. Our goal is to make tick-bite protection easy so that you’ll actually “do it”. Prevention Dig a little deeper

Whilst I do not live in Rhode Island, the whole site is an excellent resource. There are tips there on how to tick-proof clothing and yard and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Our older dog has ticks. I've seen 3 now come off of her in the kitchen. I actually wear shorts in there so I can see if any get on me. One last night got on my foot. And I quickly went on a smashing spree to the little buggar. What is the best way to get rid of ticks? Medicinal baths, pills? I need some advice oh smart ones.
          We don't have ticks in Adelaide, so I'm afraid that I'm actually not that much help on this one.

When my clients go into tick areas, the standard recommendation is either Frontline Plus or Advantix, because they are readily available here. Vets in tick areas may have a wider range of recommendations. At vet nurse school we're pretty much taught about ticks, their life cycle, how to treat paralysis tick and that you should use monthly or fortnightly (depending on the product) prevention. So while I can tell you a bit about ticks themselves... yeah... not very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            We don't have ticks in Adelaide, so I'm afraid that I'm actually not that much help on this one.

When my clients go into tick areas, the standard recommendation is either Frontline Plus or Advantix, because they are readily available here. Vets in tick areas may have a wider range of recommendations. At vet nurse school we're pretty much taught about ticks, their life cycle, how to treat paralysis tick and that you should use monthly or fortnightly (depending on the product) prevention. So while I can tell you a bit about ticks themselves... yeah... not very helpful.

i guess your big ass spiders and snakes eat all the ticks.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Ugh.. how do I keep coming across all the creepy-crawlie Aussie posts? (do Aussie's mind being called Aussies or is it a faux pas?)

I was thinking about adopting a parrot and then I read, "Similar to having a special needs child for the rest of your life." Maybe I'll just volunteer occasionally at the parrot rescue...
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                Ugh.. how do I keep coming across all the creepy-crawlie Aussie posts? (do Aussie's mind being called Aussies or is it a faux pas?)
                I have no issue.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post

I was thinking about adopting a parrot and then I read, "Similar to having a special needs child for the rest of your life." Maybe I'll just volunteer occasionally at the parrot rescue...
                  Hey I was saying that we DON'T have ticks! Blame Medusa for bringing in the others

(And actually... only Adelaide doesn't have ticks. The rest of the country has some... and Queensland has deadly ones).

And we call ourselves Aussies, so it's fine.. Only it's pronounced 'Ozzies'. That's the important part... I was called an 'Aahssy' far too many times when I was in the US.

Parrots... they have the social and mental needs of a 2 year old. Only you may have them for between 10-80 years, depending on the species.

Comment

Are you sure it's two? Not saying you are wrong ... I'd read a recent-ish set of studies that placed dogs (on average) around the intelligence and social/mental needs of a 4-5 year old. I know parrots are an entirely different species, but I always considered them at least as developed as dogs. Hmmm ... something to research today! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
                      Are you sure it's two? Not saying you are wrong ... I'd read a recent-ish set of studies that placed dogs (on average) around the intelligence and social/mental needs of a 4-5 year old. I know parrots are an entirely different species, but I always considered them at least as developed as dogs. Hmmm ... something to research today! LOL
                      Brain development doesn't really happen in a linear fashion where the older you get, the 'better' your mentality is. It's more about the ability to learn, the need for stimulation, problem solving ability, social recognition, the rate and strength of new learning pathways and the ability to change and adapt to new stimuli. In some cases, 'younger' brains have much higher abilities in these areas than 'older' ones.

The human-age figures aren't exact, and it's a kind of arbitrary association that we try to attach to animal species in order to 'understand' them better. There are all sorts of 'studies' that 'prove' all sorts of things when it comes to animal behaviour. But the reality is that animal brains are much more complex than we truly realise. In actual animal behaviour circles, we don't really use those figures aside from as a sort of colloquial guide... kind of like the age-old myth that for every human year a dog ages seven. Yeah that's arbitrary too. lol. The 2 year old figure is a useful one when speaking to laypeople (as would a 4-5 year old figure), simply because it indicates the sort of intense engagement that you need when taking on something like a parrot (particularly medium and large species).

Comment

Hell, when I was looking into getting a Greater Sulpher-Crested Cockatoo, I rather assumed the bird would be more mature than me. I mean, they use the example descriptor "special needs", where the main one for me, at the time, was "midget tard".

I always seem[ed] to surround myself with friends that notice my shortcomings.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I have sick puppy.. someone left a slice of pizza on the coffee table and he being taller than the table walked by and grabbed it. Brexton has thrown up three times and I'll leave the rest to the imagination. Now I have a 40 pound baby laying in my lap.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                            I have sick puppy.. someone left a slice of pizza on the coffee table and he being taller than the table walked by and grabbed it. Brexton has thrown up three times and I'll leave the rest to the imagination. Now I have a 40 pound baby laying in my lap.
                            Is he okay now? If he's still not well then you should take him to the vet.

A single slice of pizza shouldn't cause a major problem unless it had lots of onion or lots of cheese on it. If it was super cheesy, then it could potentially trigger pancreatitis (which is potentially fatal, so if he continues being sick it's important you take him to the vet).

If he has stopped vomiting, feed him bland, easy to digest food for a few days (boiled chicken and white rice is usually fine) and then slowly add his normal food back in over a few days. If vomiting and/or diarrhoea continues past 24 hours then he needs to see the vet.

Comment

I got myself a rather nasty burn on one of my fingertips 2 nights ago, which necessitated a bandage for me to be able to function at work yesterday. My hedgehog thought the bandage was the most amazing thing on the planet.

Comment

He is doing much better. He spent the last two days in my lap and not really eating. Today when I got home from work and he was back to his normal self!!!
                                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                                X