X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

Day-old Panaera roll with butter
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Snickerdoodle cookie from Ten Top
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Same as last night. A good sized salad, half an avocado, around a dozen soy beans, 3 small-ish slices of lotus root, and a portion of rice. All served up in a glass casserole dish because.. well just because...

Resisted all temptation to reduce the portion sizes too! Not going to, because I'm better than that now!!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Mama made weinerschnitzel <3

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I like me some weinerschnitzel! Looks pretty good, though where's the spaetzle and gravy?

Comment

First attempt! That's coming next time. She wanted to see if she could do it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Same as last night. A good sized salad, half an avocado, around a dozen soy beans, 3 small-ish slices of lotus root, and a portion of rice. All served up in a glass casserole dish because.. well just because...

Resisted all temptation to reduce the portion sizes too! Not going to, because I'm better than that now!!
                I'm a big fan of eat enough so that you feel satisfied, even if you have to go back for seconds. Food has always been an important thing with my family ever since I was little, and it's continued til this day. Going out to eat, trying new things, or my mom going totally insane with preparations to make the "perfect" holiday meal have been highlights of time spent with loved ones. It's always given us something to look forward to as a family, ways to do things together in preparation, and also, in it's own way, a way to show love through the amount of time and effort we put into what we make.

I've been very lucky to be married to a woman who have just as much a love of food as I do. I've got a small list of different things I want to cook for her, and she goes out of her way to experiment with unusual meals for the two of us to share. One of our "rituals" together is to take an evening and to go to an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant. Together, we select the types of sushi, and then we choose which kind to eat, so that we can experience them at the same time.

Okay, that was a bit of a derailing from what I wanted to say, I guess, but the point is that food is good for you in more ways than just keeping you healthy. There's food that's good for your body, with vitamins, minerals, and all that stuff that you need to survive, taken in moderation and care. But then there's the food that's good for your soul. That stuff that keeps your mind and emotions and cravings happy, that leave you feeling full, satisfied, and content. Both are important, but really, what's the sense in being healthy to live longer, if you don't take the time to occasionally truly enjoy those things that you've living longer for?

Comment

^ THIS.

This is my life.

(This is also why I'm fat, lol. But you know, I'm happy.)

Sometimes I have nights where we don't have much food in the fridge and no one wants to go out. And I have maybe half or a quarter of what I would consider a full meal. But then I have to remember that I have acid reflux (lol) and that portion control is one of my biggest challenges. Also that I live in a relatively financially stable household. I ate earlier in the day, and I will eat the next day. I get the nutrients I need, I'm not going to starve. Yet, I still feel hungry. On those days, it's my mind versus my body and I have to stay strong.

I really am trying to get my portion size issues under control. But it's haaaaaard...*whine*

Comment

Because I've been a grazer for as long as I can remember, I find being over-full physically uncomfortable and so will avoid over-eating, even if I'm enjoying the meal. That said, I've started to increase the size of my 'meals' to see if I can then go longer without snacking.

I agree that a real passionate or even spiritual appreciation of food is a healthy ideal to aim for. When I was in Germany, I was struck by how much care and attention they give to both the quality and presentation of food. I mentioned this to a German friend who told me that in England there was a period where it was considered sinful to enjoy food. As a result our food became bland and as unappealing as possible. This is also why we don't have a standard phrase to say before we eat, like 'guten appetit' or 'itadakimasu' that exist in many other languages. You wouldn't wish sin on people by telling them to enjoy their food after all. Our culture is still bearing the scars of this attitude, and we're worse off for it.

The Japanese too, have an even more impressive attitude to food. Meals are so balanced, with plenty of fresh vegetables, and presentation is an artform. I have a joke I like to make to new members of the Japanese conversation group, that the most important vocabulary you need to be able to speak to natives, is food-related. It's kinda true though. Especially when making 'small talk'. Just as we brits love to talk about the weather, the Japanese love to discuss food, especially with foreigners. And despite this food obsession, Japan has one of the lowest obesity rates amongst affluent nations.

So I'm definitely inspired to learn to love my food!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I used to be a terrible snacker. It was hard because I prefer salty to sweet but your choices are chips or nuts and I don't like nuts. Chips are great but one likes variety.

Then I started the Alkaline Diet for reflux reasons and really learned to cut back the snacking. I've cut it out entirely and I've realised that my snacking drastically affected my reflux. Even a little snack will make me uncomfortable now. I've found that as long as I don't snavk and go to bed at a reasonable time after eating I almost never get reflux symptoms anymore.

Of course, this is my personal experience. But I've managed to almost overcome a pretty serious issue for me (I'm a foody and everything I ate made me nervous. Almost killed my love of food for a while when literally everything makes you sick). All I had to do was let it get bad enough that I was willing to make a lifestyle change.

And now I'm much happier.

Comment

Pringles Tortillas, nacho cheese flavor. They taste a bit like Sun Chips.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I just bought .5kg of ginger dusted with rice flour instead of crystallised in sugar. Cost me $14 but worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by October View Post
                            First attempt! That's coming next time. She wanted to see if she could do it first.
                            Spaetzel is easy as pie, just make sure the water is nice and hot!! We used to have a cod dish on the menu with spaetzel, carrots, brussel leaves, pork bellie finished in a beautiful pork stock. Share pictures when she makes it I'd love to see it.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Bagel with cream cheese and tea.

Comment

Vanilla bean cold brew coffee with sugar and cream. Hungry, though :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X