Make-up! and all things beauty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make-up! and all things beauty!

I actually haven't washed my hair with shampoo for 4 days now, and up until this morning I wasn't even getting oil problems whatsoever (and a little cornstarch fixed that right up for work appearances). I'm starting to think maybe I have the opposite issue than I suspected, and that I may have really dry hair to begin with. In which case, this could work.

Though I've bookmarked Thalassa's blog and am going to be taking a few tips from there. I'm going to try to give it 6 weeks to see if it even shows promise, and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      I actually haven't washed my hair with shampoo for 4 days now, and up until this morning I wasn't even getting oil problems whatsoever (and a little cornstarch fixed that right up for work appearances). I'm starting to think maybe I have the opposite issue than I suspected, and that I may have really dry hair to begin with. In which case, this could work.

Though I've bookmarked Thalassa's blog and am going to be taking a few tips from there. I'm going to try to give it 6 weeks to see if it even shows promise, and go from there.
      Update: So, about 3 months no poo now. Past the transition phase, and it's working out pretty well for me (surprisingly). Just baking soda, AVC and the occasional couple drops of essential oils for the scent.

Comment

Update: So, about 3 months no poo now. Past the transition phase, and it's working out pretty well for me (surprisingly). Just baking soda, AVC and the occasional couple drops of essential oils for the scent.
        Hey, that's cool! I used to have braided hair and couldn't wash it for 3 years! For me it was the itchy, crusty scalp that was the hardest part. That was probably because it was braided though: I couldn't brush it, so had a build up of dead skin. Pretty vile now I look back. ^^

On the subject of beauty. I've discovered what makes my under-eye area so dark. I have thin skin there anyway, so will always have slight circles, but the 'punched in the face' look seems to have been my sinuses. I have noticed that I can never breathe freely. There's always a feeling of being bunged up, yet if I blow my nose there's nothing. It's been this way for so long that I started to think it's normal. Then when researching possible causes and cures for panda eyes, I read that sinuses can be a cause. I got myself a nasal spray and within hours the blood vessels seemed to calm down, and the darkness faded. Whenever the circles get bad, I use the spray, and it does the trick every time. Even what I AM tired, I don't look as tired and sickly as I have looked this last year or two.

The problem is that they say you can't use it long term as it will make the problem worse. So I'm not sure what to do next. I guess I must be allergic to something. I wouldn't know where to start to figure out what it is, although I suspect it's the cleaning products I use at work.

I wonder if I should try a neti pot. I've never liked the idea of pouring water up my nose though.
        Last edited by Jembru; 20 Jun 2015, 21:31.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          I guess I must be allergic to something. I wouldn't know where to start to figure out what it is, although I suspect it's the cleaning products I use at work.

I wonder if I should try a neti pot. I've never liked the idea of pouring water up my nose though.
          Here in the US, I went to my regular doctor and told her I wanted allergy testing. She drew some blood and sent it to the lab for an immunoassay. Since I have a cat, she asked for cats, a couple of local trees and grasses that are common allergens, and molds. As a kid I had the scratch test done, but in a different location with different allergens. I could have gone to an allergist and had this done again, but it was awful enough the first time that I didn't want to do it again. I don't know what the procedure for your health care system would be to get allergy testing, but you might look into it. Knowing what I'm allergic doesn't really help much, since none of my allergies are going to send me into anaphylaxis. I still take a daily allergy medication, but now I use a dust mask when I do any deep cleaning or lawn work.
          A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            I've discovered what makes my under-eye area so dark. I have thin skin there anyway, so will always have slight circles, but the 'punched in the face' look seems to have been my sinuses. I have noticed that I can never breathe freely. There's always a feeling of being bunged up, yet if I blow my nose there's nothing. It's been this way for so long that I started to think it's normal. Then when researching possible causes and cures for panda eyes, I read that sinuses can be a cause. I got myself a nasal spray and within hours the blood vessels seemed to calm down, and the darkness faded. Whenever the circles get bad, I use the spray, and it does the trick every time. Even what I AM tired, I don't look as tired and sickly as I have looked this last year or two.

The problem is that they say you can't use it long term as it will make the problem worse.
            Over 3 days consecutive use of decongestant sprays can lead to what is technically called rhinitis medicmentosa--they work because the drugs involved constrict the blood vessels, but once they wear off they congestion is actually worse. I would think you can also have this condition if you were only using them every other day or so.

Normally, with this one, I'd ask if you were sure you were adequately hydrated and getting good sleep...but with the breathing issues...yeah, I'd say allergies are a good hypothesis.

So I'm not sure what to do next. I guess I must be allergic to something. I wouldn't know where to start to figure out what it is, although I suspect it's the cleaning products I use at work.
            If you were having skin reactions, I would agree with you...chemical allergies (also cosmetic allergies), both of which can erupt with little to no warning after days, even years of use are typically a skin reaction. If you are suspecting sinus issues and think you've had relief with an decongestant nose spray, then I would think you more likely have a an allergy to something airborne--pollen, pet dander, mold spores, dust etc. TBH, it really doesn't matter what you are allergic to, the solution is usually the same--medication and mitigation.

I don't know what is all over the counter there, but you can always try taking allergy meds--not something for an acute allergy attack like benadryl (not sure what that might be branded as in the UK), but a 24 hour chronic allergy medication like Zyrtec or Allegra (both you can get over the counter here), and a nasal corticosteroid spray like Flonase (here you can get it over the counter). Try using allergy meds meant for chronic allergies for about three weeks (it takes about two weeks for the corticosteriod sprays to "work")...if everything is the same, then its probably not allergies; if it is, yeah, you are probably allergic to something.

If you find that these help, then it might be worth looking into allergy testing so you better know how to mitigate the problem. I'm allergic to my cats...so, we have a HEPA filter in every room and a HEPA vacuum, and we have to change our air filters more often that most folks do. Additionally, the cats get bathed regularly to help cut down on the dander, and they get brushed outdoors (by Chickadee) daily to cut down on the hair all over the place. I'm also allergic to a number of grasses' pollens, so I'm not allowed to cut grass.

[/quote]I wonder if I should try a neti pot. I've never liked the idea of pouring water up my nose though.[/QUOTE]

OVeruse of the neti pot can lead to dry sinuses and increased congestion too. I don't use the neti pot--the pouring thing...eeeew. I use squeezy bottle fr sinus irrigation when I have a cold or sinus infection, the rest of the time, for just congestion, I use steam--either steamy shower steam, or I actually have a cosmetic face steamer for that.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Over 3 days consecutive use of decongestant sprays can lead to what is technically called rhinitis medicmentosa--they work because the drugs involved constrict the blood vessels, but once they wear off they congestion is actually worse. I would think you can also have this condition if you were only using them every other day or so.

Normally, with this one, I'd ask if you were sure you were adequately hydrated and getting good sleep...but with the breathing issues...yeah, I'd say allergies are a good hypothesis.

If you were having skin reactions, I would agree with you...chemical allergies (also cosmetic allergies), both of which can erupt with little to no warning after days, even years of use are typically a skin reaction. If you are suspecting sinus issues and think you've had relief with an decongestant nose spray, then I would think you more likely have a an allergy to something airborne--pollen, pet dander, mold spores, dust etc. TBH, it really doesn't matter what you are allergic to, the solution is usually the same--medication and mitigation.

I don't know what is all over the counter there, but you can always try taking allergy meds--not something for an acute allergy attack like benadryl (not sure what that might be branded as in the UK), but a 24 hour chronic allergy medication like Zyrtec or Allegra (both you can get over the counter here), and a nasal corticosteroid spray like Flonase (here you can get it over the counter). Try using allergy meds meant for chronic allergies for about three weeks (it takes about two weeks for the corticosteriod sprays to "work")...if everything is the same, then its probably not allergies; if it is, yeah, you are probably allergic to something.

If you find that these help, then it might be worth looking into allergy testing so you better know how to mitigate the problem. I'm allergic to my cats...so, we have a HEPA filter in every room and a HEPA vacuum, and we have to change our air filters more often that most folks do. Additionally, the cats get bathed regularly to help cut down on the dander, and they get brushed outdoors (by Chickadee) daily to cut down on the hair all over the place. I'm also allergic to a number of grasses' pollens, so I'm not allowed to cut grass.

OVeruse of the neti pot can lead to dry sinuses and increased congestion too. I don't use the neti pot--the pouring thing...eeeew. I use squeezy bottle fr sinus irrigation when I have a cold or sinus infection, the rest of the time, for just congestion, I use steam--either steamy shower steam, or I actually have a cosmetic face steamer for that.
              Thank goodness for the auto save feature. I wrote this days ago, but never got to post it...

I stopped using the spray on Friday. The darkness came back, but not nearly as bad as it had been. I couldn't sleep yesterday though, despite being really tired on shift the night before, having underslept that day too. I noticed I couldn't breathe properly and that was probably what's making it hard to sleep (it can be hard to breath out of my nose, and for at least the last 2 or 3 years, I've always squeaked if I breathe heavily). So in a rage I used the spray again. I really wish I hadn't though.

My eyes look bad now, but this time it IS because I'm tired. It's not usually that though. I can have bouts of sleeplessness, and if I wake early, my neighbour upstairs who uses her bedroom like it's the livingroom can keep me awake, but as a general rule, because of the night shifts, I have very strict sleep hygiene, and sleep well. I rarely wake feeling tired, and I never do that thing some people do where they stay awake all day after a night shift to reset their clock. I sleep during the day as normal, waking slightly earlier, then go back to bed about 1 in the morning, until I wake naturally and am reset to days. It means I lose more free time, but it's kinder to body and better for my health. I make use of black out blinds, blue-light filter glasses, eye masks, a sunrise/sunset mimicking alarm clock, light box (in the winter) and ear plugs. So while it's possible that night shift is making me over tired, I think I get enough good quality sleep to not have permanent black eyes.

Hydration is another cause I considered. I do drink water. It's the first thing I drink when I wake up (although usually while the kettle is boiling), and I drink at least one or two cups during work. However, I drink way more alcohol than I probably should, drinking every night I'm not at work, and often having a glass of wine before bed after work, and I also drink a lot of tea and coffee, albeit often decaf. So maybe the diuretic affect of these is dehydrating me. JP and I agreed to take a week off alcohol, and I'm tempted to make it a month. Lets see if that improves anything.

It's most likely an allergy though. Possibly Dolly, because while I've never been bothered by cat hair, she has an unusual coat that looks short, but has longer hairs here and there (she's a longhair/shorthair cross). She also smells like a hamster for some reason, and because she lets us pick her up and carry her, I often nuzzle and sniff her fur. Oh and she sleeps on the bed with me too. The other thing it could be is mould spores. We had a damp problem in the bedroom a while ago. We've since redecorated and I know now not to dry clothes on the radiators and to open the windows daily. There's no visible mould anywhere now, but it's very possible that there's small amounts that we can't see, hidden behind wardrobes or under the bed. I'm not sure there's much more I can do though. I was using a dehumidifier all the time too, but my last energy bill was horrific (I'd been using an electric heater too though), so that is now for emergencies only, like when I have no choice but to dry clothes indoors.

I'll do as you suggest and ask a pharmacist if there is anything over-the-counter I can take long-term, and see if that helps. At least I'm closer to solving the problem, which is some relief.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I have serious calluses on my heels/sides of feet. I don't mean little rough spots; I mean I have basically horse hooves LOL So I saw several new-ish versions of callus removers, and bought the Dr. Scholl "Dream Walk" one (It was a couple bucks less than the other one I saw, I had a $3. coupon, and I know Dr. Scholl will refund if you're not happy.) Anyway! It really works great! It's a handheld thing with a battery operated roller with heavy duty sandpaper stuff on it. I've been going over my feet twice a day for a week or so, and have gone through 2 rollers, but huge progress has been made!

I bought a manual thing a long time ago, looks like a cheese grater crossed with a nail file. That did nothing! But I highly recommend this gadget. You have to do it either over the side of your tub or outside, or something, because those little dry skin flakes fly all over the place!
                Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 06 Jul 2015, 19:28.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  I have serious calluses on my heels/sides of feet. I don't mean little rough spots; I mean I have basically horse hooves LOL So I saw several new-ish versions of callus removers, and bought the Dr. Scholl "Dream Walk" one (It was a couple bucks less than the other one I saw, I had a $3. coupon, and I know Dr. Scholl will refund if you're not happy.) Anyway! It really works great! It's a handheld thing with a battery operated roller with heavy duty sandpaper stuff on it. I've been going over my feet twice a day for a week or so, and have gone through 2 rollers, but huge progress has been made!

I bought a manual thing a long time ago, looks like a cheese grater crossed with a nail file. That did nothing! But I highly recommend this gadget. You have to do it either over the side of your tub or outside, or something, because those little dry skin flakes fly all over the place!
                  I bought a drummel kit for $7.50 at work. Gonna sand off my dry spots on my heels.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

^^^ That'll work, I'm sure.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm too chicken for those hardware callous-removal systems. I just keep some foot scrub in my shower that I use a few times a week and do the foot soaking/massaging/moisturizing thing about once a week (give or take). Seems to work for me through the last 5 years of on-your-feet-retail.

Comment

I'm too chicken for those hardware callous-removal systems. I just keep some foot scrub in my shower that I use a few times a week and do the foot soaking/massaging/moisturizing thing about once a week (give or take). Seems to work for me through the last 5 years of on-your-feet-retail.
                        Lucky. Diabetic feet. I probably used to be able to walk on glass as tough as they were. But I do the lotion after the shower. then slather in Vaseline and put them in socks for the night.

slug life. I'm all about it.

yeah. that's an actual skin care routine now!
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Fuzzy socks? I love my fuzzy socks after my routine... Best things ever invented. ^^

Comment

I guess if you keep up with the foot scrub it prevents you from growing hooves in the first place? LOL I'm making serious headway - I can actually feel things under my heels now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                              I guess if you keep up with the foot scrub it prevents you from growing hooves in the first place? LOL I'm making serious headway - I can actually feel things under my heels now.
                              That's kind of my strategy. There was a point a few years ago when I was still figuring out routines to deal with the foot/knee/back aches from work and I did end up having to deal with some rough spots, but I think that was more a regimen of soaking and a pumice stone and moisturizing. With fuzzy socks of course.

Glad to see you're making progress.

Comment

I think I'm almost done with the heel callouses! I'm a good inch shorter...LOL....I'm very happy with it. I've been going over my heels twice a day for a few minutes each time, outside becasue those little flakes go everywhere! And I have started wearing some eye makeup again. I had surgery on my right eye long ago and it's always been so sensitive that anything was irritating but this stuff seems OK. I bought nice eyeshadow, mascara, liner, and new brushes, and remover pads. All from ELF except the mascara which is Almay. The ELF eye shadow is low priced but very nice. My skin is oily and shadow would always crease up in my lids after a couple of hours, but this lasts very well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X