X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaming

Originally posted by egregor View Post
    Ah, my MMO kindred.

... So, anyone else think that we will be seeing .Hack//-esque VRMMO's with a similar interface, during out lifetime?
    Dunno how I would feel about it... that said, while it is possible, I don't know if that is really more where modern games are heading to or if they are heading away from. I use GW 2 to illustrate my point, it just doesn't feel like a game you have to invest in, it feels like a fairly casual game, and I think that is where alot of developers are putting their time and energy.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I got a PS3 and my favorite games are the Uncharted Series, Tokyo Jungle, SPYRO! I just recently finished Heavenly Sword and Both Bishocks (getting ready for Bioshock Infinite!) And now working on Lair and Call of Duty: Black Ops (I do own Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, I am just playing the story for the first one and online for the second one.) I have more games though too, three stacks actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        I use GW 2 to illustrate my point, it just doesn't feel like a game you have to invest in, it feels like a fairly casual game, and I think that is where alot of developers are putting their time and energy.
        *sigh* It is unfortunate, but as you say. Ten years ago MMO's were reserved to only hardcore gamers, and posed a challenge something worth investing time and effort into for a desired payback. But now, with so many "casual gamers", many developers developers (and this isn't just of MMO's, unfortunately) will be focusing their time and creative energies on the new market. There are some exceptions, just... Not enough.

Also, why are you uncertain about a full-immersion VR experience I for one would welcome such technology with open arms- to dive even further into escapism, it would be like a dream... If games were created for it that corresponded to my interests. I mean, come on, how cool would it be to put on a helmet, and have you sensory perception completely altered as you are put in a magnificent phantasy environment Imagine just sliding one on, initiating the start-up sequence, and the, next thing you know, your walking through the wilds of Skyrim or the dunes of Elsywer... Of course, your entitled to your reservations, as is everyone else. Just curious why you would be hesitant.

Comment

I honestly think the drive towards casualizing MMO's will eventually end up being counterproductive. I understand them wanting to make it possible for anyone to play, and I'm glad because between studying for my degree, studying my occult/spiritual interests, other hobbies and my social life, I don't have time to raid for the same four hours, six nights a week or whatever I used to do back in the day with WoW, it's just not compatible with most lifestyles. So I agree it needs to be done, to a point, but it seems like most games these days are going too far in the other direction.

They've mistaken 'make goals eventually achievable for everyone without having to schedule their life around them' for 'make goals achievable for everyone by practically handing them out for free,' which removes the fun for everyone. GW2, for example, has absolutely no real progression at the moment. You hit 80, you farm your orange set of gear (which you can get almost instantly if you saved up some gold and don't care about appearances,) and you're done, as powerful as you can be. The only goals left are aesthetic items, and even then you can get a full set of whatever you want to look like in a few days. Without any long term goals, without any achievement, the gameplay soon becomes drab and repetitive, no matter how fun the actual activities involved are. Casual players don't enjoy that any more than hardcore players do. Instead of trying to strike a balance they just threw progression out entirely.

I think they've realized their mistake though, they added that dungeon with the new tier of loot for jewelry, and they said they'll be adding a ranking system for PvP with it's own spectrum of rewards, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

On a side note, I finally finished Dishonored yesterday. Easily one of the best single player games I've picked up in a long time, the gameplay was a ton of fun, the setting was incredibly vivid and immersive, I loved the whole Edwardian - Victorian/gothic/steampunk/new weird feel the whole gameworld had to it, and the storyline, while rather dark, was a lot of fun. Only a few minor complaints which in no way detracted from the overall experience, definitely worth a shot for anyone looking for something to play.

Comment

Originally posted by egregor View Post
            Also, why are you uncertain about a full-immersion VR experience I for one would welcome such technology with open arms- to dive even further into escapism, it would be like a dream...
            This right here. I have enough of a problem some days wanting to drop something and put it down to come back later if I am not too tired. I could potentially be one heck of an escapist, and making that sensation more real could be bad for people with already addictive personalities. It is easy to turn off a screen you are staring at, but to leave what could potentially feel just as real as reality, only better?!? Who wouldn't have a hard time doing that?
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well, there are people now who play MMO's excessively as well as watch TV or play video games. Some people do so to such an extent, that they do not even leave their houses- it's actually a sizable problem in Japan. Certainly, deeper immersion into those would create even more of a problem, I'm not denying that. Hell, I for one would probably never leave my house again, but I would imagine I would not be the only one. If a perfect substitute for the banal everyday is created, it isn't just escapists and gamers who are going to begin to favor that reality over the actual reality. It could be a big problem, but I for one would embrace it. However, I can see how someone with lingering attachments to reality would be hesitant at the notion...

Comment

I'm not really into MMOs myself, but I do like a super "cheesey" RPG called "Adventure Quest". I also love the Legend Of Zelda series, and it's amazing fantasy world "Hyrule", that the game designers created. Right now I'm working on beating Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Comment

I was definitely one of those hardcore raiding gamers, right up until I had to get a job working 50 hours a week and lost my alienware pc. Just bought a new gaming pc so... maybe that'll start again. But you know, sometimes I prefer to be a cute elf that can heal people... :P

Comment

I'm getting out of Computer gaming and back into Pen and Paper.

Currently playing a lot of Bloodbowl and about to start running a game of Witchcraft.
                    I follow the Magpie path. "Oh SHINY belief" Yoink!

Comment

I'm currently too broke to buy any new games (travelling really hollows out one's wallet),
                      so I rock Guild wars 1. xD old school.

Comment

I am massively into Minecraft right now. JP and I even went out and got ourselves some t.shirts (I have a creeper on mine; his is the minecraft periodic table). I've mentioned before, but I prefer just to watch video games usually. It's a rare game that makes me want to play (Tekken, being probably the one game I worked at more than any other), but I actually decided to spawn my own world. I've invented a whole religion for myself and the villagers, so I'm just playing so I can build my statues and sacred sites. ^^

JP's world is better though. He's currently building an electric (redstone) rail system connecting up all his homes, and important generated structures.

The hostile mobs are a bit of a pain, but enderman is kinda cute and besides, they mostly come at night... mostly...

Anyway, I know it's not a game for everyone, but it has really captured my imagination. After all, with a bit of imagination and patience, anything is possible on this game...

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          I am massively into Minecraft right now.
                          I played for a while and my favourite part was my rainbow sheep collection >.>
                          My Tumblr
                          My Webcomic
                          My Twitter

Comment

Do you know... we haven't tried dying the sheep yet! I need green wool though, to make creeper statues (the people worship the mobs as deities in my world), so I will need a whole green flock soon! I also want a mooshroom (red mushroom coloured cow), but they are such a pain to take home.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I called it my skittles flock. It was glorious. I built them a house of their own and everything. It looks pretty fantastic, especially when they're have little lambs..so cute.
                              My Tumblr
                              My Webcomic
                              My Twitter

Comment

Oh, I gave you positive rep and watched your bar turn to green before my very eyes! That was fun.

I'm definitely going to try it. I have heard they're thinking of introducing horses in the next update. I hope they do. I mean, riding pigs is great and all, but I'd love a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X