This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaming

Yeah I'm really not a fan of what they've done with WoW lately, Mists is a bit of a joke of an expansion imo, but I still found myself re-opening my account the other day to screw around, maybe get to 90. For whatever reason WoW just seems to scratch the MMO itch better than whatever else is out on the market atm. I was enjoying GW2 for a bit, but after a while it starts to feel really, I guess, sterile. Flat. Feels like they've focused so much on avoiding all of the things people complain about in MMO's that they've also removed all of the things that make them fun, it's got the basic form of an MMO, but inside it's boring, it doesn't engage, especially the faction pvp, which is a shame because that was the major selling point for me.

Comment

Try Rift, it's f2p now. That's what's keeping me sane after those long days at work when I can't just sit still.

I used to be at that point with WoW where it was the only thing I was interested in playing, and then I logged on several months ago after a long break and decided it just isn't fun anymore.

Comment

What is Rift about? How is it?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

It's a couple years old. Basically you have your two factions (ascended and defiant) who are resurrected heroes from days of yore with more than one soul in their bodies and they're brought back to try and prevent the destruction of the world. So... the present is worldly destruction by the dragons and otherwise evil elemental spirits, but you're resurrected into the past to try and prevent it from happening.

You pick a role (tank, healer, dps, support), run around and kill things, do the quest/instance grind. The pvp is very popular, at least on my server, and raids are still a part of it.

What I like though is you have dyes for your wardrobe, you can show armor on yourself that isn't actually the armor you wear for the stats (so in case you get clown gear and don't like it), and you get personal dimensions- which are player housing realms you can buy, build, decorate, and share (or not) for rp or personal escape purposes.

A little bit of everything. There are elves, dwarves, kelari, bahmi, and some other races. Give it a look. It's not the same as WoW, but for me it does the trick until elder scrolls comes out.

Comment

Last year? Damn, that sounds too new. My potato laptop might not be able to run it.

EDIT:

Yeah, as I thought, minimum requirements are almost the double my laptop has.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I think 2 years ago, but I'll admit that the laptop I used to game on would run the game itself but it didn't do so hot with world events (which are a big part of the game) and the big cities.

I actually didn't pick up the game again until after it went f2p and I had been able to get ahold of a newer desktop.

Comment

I'm not big on most onling RPGs - I mostly stick to Runescape and D&D. In the others that I've tried, I feel railroaded into one storyline, whereas those two are more free form. Star Wars Online is epic, though. Mostly for the break from the usual olden-time theme.

Comment

<----just signed up to try to beta Everquest Next
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                    Try Rift, it's f2p now. That's what's keeping me sane after those long days at work when I can't just sit still.

I used to be at that point with WoW where it was the only thing I was interested in playing, and then I logged on several months ago after a long break and decided it just isn't fun anymore.
                    I miss playing rift, I loved it but never played for very long, mostly cause i had to pay for it, is it still playable as F2P? after starwars went f2p it was nigh un-playable unless you were paying for something...
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      I miss playing rift, I loved it but never played for very long, mostly cause i had to pay for it, is it still playable as F2P? after starwars went f2p it was nigh un-playable unless you were paying for something...
                      The only differences for subscribers from f2p is that you get a regular payment of game credits that you can use to buy mounts, extra bank space, leveling buffs (2x xp gain for killing mobs type stuff), etc... Most of which you can get by either spending the normal in-game currency or by farming for it. It's more of a superficial difference, and if you really really want some credits you can put $5 into your account. I've been back on it now for a few months and it hasn't hindered my gameplay at all. Got to lvl 50 without any issues, working on 60, we'll see how raiding goes.

Comment

I used to play LotRO on the Landroval server. My kin/guild is still active there. Rift was a great game up till the expansion. Not that the expansion was horrible but it definitely increased the grind. I also don't like that they've gone away from the Defiant vs. Guardian focus. I understand why Trion did it but I don't like it. I'll probably give the relaunch of FFXIV a try and I signed up for the Everquest Next beta. I've been trying to a large world map of Civ 5 but it has been buggy as hell since the Brave New World expansion. About every 10 turns it crashes on clicking the next turn button.

Comment

I wondered what happened with that language/group barrier between the rift factions... I was sure it wasn't that way before I took that year-long break...

Comment

With the Storm Legion expansion they did away with a lot of the separation between factions do the decrease in population. During Warfronts, if the others faction's group doesn't have enough people, you can be placed in it as a 'mercenary'.

Comment

Many people (such as myself) may not be able to afford the PS4 for quite some time, and would be thrilled with getting a PS3. I remember when the PS3 came out and I couldn't afford it (college can make pockets very empty). I spent almost 5 years just playing PS2s and PS2 games before finally being able to buy a PS3 (I bought about 4 PS2s throughout that time simply because I was such a klutz and damaged several, but for $60 USD, it wasn't too expensive and I still have one). I don't know about the UK, but I saw PS3s for sale at a local pawn shop for up to $150 a couple of months ago, and so I am thinking it might be the same where you are. Hope you guys enjoy the PS4

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdaw View Post
                                With the Storm Legion expansion they did away with a lot of the separation between factions do the decrease in population. During Warfronts, if the others faction's group doesn't have enough people, you can be placed in it as a 'mercenary'.
                                Well wtf...

Oh well it's f2p, can't complain too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X