Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Unless my sense of smell tells me otherwise, I consider expiration dates suggestions. Most recent was yogurt that needed a little spot skimmed off the top. The rest was totally fine.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg4095#msg4095 date=1287375611]
      Have you ever eaten anything past the expiration date? And what were the results?
      [/quote]

I do it all the time - the 'expiration date' doesn't necessarily mean that whatever it is labeled with said date is going to go bad the minute the date passes. It's more like a 'suggested use-by date'.

For ultra-pasteurized milk products, I've had them in my fridge for a week past the date & been just fine, eggs I've used 3 - 5 months past the date, still fine. Generally, if it tastes or smells funny or has mold, then it goes in the garbage. I'm moldaphobic - I had to throw out a cooking pot today because it was neglected during the last dishwashing, had mold spots in the bottom, and I didn't want to use a dish-washing sponge to clean it because that sponge would touch other dishes... and I knew that every time I cooked food in the pot, all I'd think about was the mold. So it went bye-bye.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Have you ever eaten anything past the expiration date? And what were the results?
        [/quote]

I dunno about eaten but i've drank off milk.. and as it goes I only like milk in cup of teas anyway.. I don't even have it on cereal.. so yeah I had a mouthful of off milk and proceeded to throw it straight back up. yummy.

Comment

typically things are good a few days after the date... but I still typically refuse to use it unless its like 12:01am
          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[/quote]
            Yup, and with no unfortunate results.

Comment

[/quote]

hell ya! and no problems
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Almost verbatim, what Perze said.

Only difference? It wasn't a "pot" and it wasn't "today". It was about 2 weeks ago, and the (slightly) moldy bowl went bye-bye.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[/quote]

Yes - I've been very, very poor in my life, and there were long stretches of time when the difference between eating or not eating involved a willingness to tolerate things I would normally prefer not to eat.

Results?

Well, I'm not dead.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If I ever have, it's been accidental and not noticeable. I actually have a strong tendency to refuse to consume anything a couple of days BEFORE the expiration date.

I suppose it's due to my mother's tendency to KEEP foods well past their time. I don't know why, but she won't throw out food that just shouldn't be okay to eat anymore. Dates that are YEARS past due. And it's not that she's ever going to EAT it, she just KEEPS it in the house. I don't know if she just can't let go of the wasted money or what, considering that... well, I love her to death, but she buys way too many groceries and never throws out what she doesn't need or doesn't use.

Her spice cabinet is an excellent example - they pretty much eat the same things over and over. She has a few recipes she uses and repeats them. Why they have so many spices and seasonings confuses me because I guarantee they only use the ones in the front row. There's no telling what's behind them.

I suppose I became a little paranoid about it as a result of being frustrated with all the expired food in the house. I remember last year when she got rid of a few things in the name of donating groceries to me and gave me a box of muffin mix with an advertisement for the original Toy Story on the box.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=62.msg4261#msg4261 date=1287414807]
                      I suppose I became a little paranoid about it as a result of being frustrated with all the expired food in the house. I remember last year when she got rid of a few things in the name of donating groceries to me and gave me a box of muffin mix with an advertisement for the original Toy Story on the box.
                      [/quote]

Hahahahahah... eww. :P
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

...gave me a box of muffin mix with an advertisement for the original Toy Story on the box.
                        [/quote]

Did you sell it on ebay? Somebody'd want to buy that.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If I ever have, it's been accidental and not noticeable. I actually have a strong tendency to refuse to consume anything a couple of days BEFORE the expiration date.

[/quote]

I'm the same way. I cant go near anything dairy if its getting ready to expire! Certain box things I will use past the date but only buy maybe a week (I.E. Hamburger helper and stuff like that)

Comment

[/quote]

I'll throw it out if it might be spoiled. Even before the expiration date.
                            I used to not care, then one day I took a drink of milk (we keep small bottles for drinking) and got some chunks. NEVER AGAIN.
                            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I'm pretty good at keeping track of the dates and rotating it. I have to be a stickler about it since I'm so strongly against eating anything past it's date.

Comment

I will eat something past the expiration date if and only if: It still looks good, it still smells good, and it passes the taste test.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X