• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of the world!!!!!!!

well at least the hellfire will make it warmer
    Circe

Comment

The Rapture is finally happening? Bang-on! I gotta get myself the lawn chair out and start watching for puffs of smoke or strange lights in the sky, people wandering around confused, a sudden lack of clothing, and reckless acts of foolishness going down.

Wait, this sounds like a hookah party I went to at one time...even better. I'll be tickled if nothing happens, but we're suddenly without the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Comment

what gets me though is in this guy's "calculations" he forgets that the bible says that no man will know when.
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

so a woman has to figure it out?
          "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
            so a woman has to figure it out?
            Isn't that always the way? *sigh* LOL
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

lol you know it!! women are just better and the exeption to all :P
              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

lol you know it!! women are just better and the exeption to all :P
                It's a hard job but SOMEBODY'S got to do it!

I read somewhere that some people who really believe the world will end next week went out and spent their life savings, etc. That's sad. And weird.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

i do feel sad for them

Comment

There's always hope that such minds will manage to eliminate themselves from the gene pool, thus improving the species.
                    HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

can you immagine what its going to do to those people who are giving everything away cause they believe??? what thats going to do to christianity on a whole??

Comment

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post
                        what gets me though is in this guy's "calculations" he forgets that the bible says that no man will know when.
                        That's what I came here to ask. How can a Christian claim to know when the hour will come when the Bible clearly says:
                        Not even Jesus knows when this will happen. Or is there something I'm not understanding correctly? Do most Christians speak out against these kind of claims?
                        Can i haz some edumacations plz?
                        [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                          Not even Jesus knows when this will happen. Or is there something I'm not understanding correctly? Do most Christians speak out against these kind of claims?
                          Can i haz some edumacations plz?
                          Most mainline Christian denominations don't believe in any of it, and some of them speak out about it within their churches...but there are plenty of minority Christian denominations that believe all sorts of off the wall things, because they can find one or two passages in the Bible to support whatever idea they might have. Really, the Bible contradicts itself so often, you can Biblically support anything you want to with a little bit of creativity (just look at the Westboro Baptist Church). For example...on the basis of this:

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (Luke 10:19)
                          There are Christian churches that literally handle poisonous snakes as part of their testament.

It all comes down to the question of what makes someone a Christian? And...well, they haven't figured it out any better than anyone has been able to come up with a definition of Paganism. There are about 38,000 denominations of Christianity world wide, and the only thing they have in common is Jesus--but even then, they can't agree on whether or not he is divine, trinity/unitarian, what salvation he offers and how to get it, what the sacraments are or are not, etc. The differences that arose from the Reformation, over the five solas were just the beginning of the development of Christianity into different denominations. Even so-called "non-denominational" Christianity is really denominational in the sense that it just means that individuals or individual congregations don't belong to any particular larger faith organization.

People like this are sort of seen as a harmless fringe element. Unless they do something to piss people off (like the funeral protests of the Westboro Baptists) or hurt someone (like some Church sponsored exorcisms gone wrong), etc, they have the right to believe whatever the heck they want to believe and justify it with whatever random thing they pull out of the Bible that they want to...such as this explaination of why we *can* know when, and that the "when" is October 21 (May 21 is actually Judgement Day or the Rapture or something like that...you will have to read it to figure out how they came to that conclusion, its sort of confusing).
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

There was that earlier bit where the Byzantine Church broke off from Rome, giving us the beginning of several flavors of "Orthodox Catholic" national sects.
                            HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Comment

can you immagine what its going to do to those people who are giving everything away cause they believe??? what thats going to do to christianity on a whole??
                                Those people will probably do one of two things:

1. Rationalize it away.
                                2. Come to realize they've been playing the fool.

How they go from there is anyone's guess.

As for Christianity as a whole it won't do a thing. There have always and always will be some fringe religious groups, and most actually go back from whence they came. During the Medieval period some people didn't actually do a thing with crops because they believed the apocalypse was nigh. The fringe group of Flagellantism also came about during the time. You'd be hard-pressed to find any living Flagellants today.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                                ill prepared, but willing,
                                to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X