Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of the world!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Caelia View Post

As for Christianity as a whole it won't do a thing. There have always and always will be some fringe religious groups, and most actually go back from whence they came.
    Yup, there have proably been groups predicting the end of the world since the beginning of humanity...and it hasn't changed anything.

...Rok's link demonstrates that very well, lol
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

As to flagellants, don't we have the Roman Catholic organization Opus Dei ? ? ?
      HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Butbutbut... God uses the Julian Calendar! Your rapture week is 11 days too early
        "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
        http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
        "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
        http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
        "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
        http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Yup, there have proably been groups predicting the end of the world since the beginning of humanity...and it hasn't changed anything.

...Rok's link demonstrates that very well, lol
          I wasn't even looking at it from the Doomsday scope, per se. These groups pop up whenever there's a cultural shift that a few can't handle or even comprehend.
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

Hell, it doesn't even take anything like a cultural shift to set it off. Need I remind *anyone* about the drama that seems to crop up on dates like July 8, 2009? Or October 10, 2010? People are looking for the end of the world around every corner, I suspect so that they can throw caution to the wind and act like true animals for once.

[Edited to add]
            Shit, I completely forgot about the shitstorm that we're going to get THIS year, on September 10th.
            Last edited by Roknrol; 16 May 2011, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananta Androscoggin View Post
              As to flagellants, don't we have the Roman Catholic organization Opus Dei ? ? ?
              I wonder if thats where Gardner got the idea...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
                cwhat thats going to do to christianity on a whole??
                Absolutely nothing. It's not like this is the first time a group of Christians has predicted the end of the world and were wrong (well, assuming they are wrong this time too, which seems likely ). Heck, ever heard of the Seventh day Adventist sect of Christianity? The whole movement came from a group who were wrong not once, but TWICE in predicting the end of the world. (The current SDA church says this is because of a misunderstanding of scripture - it wasn't actually the second coming they were predicting, but some other event.)

Edit: Ha, forgot to mention... the guy predicting the May 21st date? Harold Camping? Yeah, he was already wrong once, too - Sept 1994 was his last guess. He did admit, before that date came, that he could be wrong, and that maybe it would be the coming date of May 21, 2011. Wonder if he'll set a third date, or quit at two...
                Last edited by Gardenia; 16 May 2011, 20:11.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

If nothing happens on Saturday, there will be a lot of backpedaling and a new date will be set. The followers will happily gulp down the new flavor of Kool-Aid and everything will go on as before.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

what about nov 11th this year? LOL

my concern is that he is predicting massive earth quakes. so if a tiney little quake hits anywhere in the world there is going to be MASS hysteria! "OMG he was only off by a day" or whatnot. its going to create a panic. i think so anyway. a person alone is smart but people as a group are stupid... all it takes is one idea and one coincidence to create a panic
                    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
                      my concern is that he is predicting massive earth quakes. so if a tiney little quake hits anywhere in the world there is going to be MASS hysteria! "OMG he was only off by a day" or whatnot. its going to create a panic. i think so anyway. a person alone is smart but people as a group are stupid... all it takes is one idea and one coincidence to create a panic
                      The quakes are supposed to be massive and hit every time a new time zone turns over to May 21st. If a tiny quake hits somewhere around that time I'm sure some of his followers, and maybe a few others who've heard of this, will probably think the rapture actually is coming... but I don't think there will be any mass hysteria over it. The huge quakes come and the rapture comes with them, so it'll be pretty easy for most people to ignore it if the Christians aren't floating off to heaven as well. (Plus, most people don't even know of this still, despite the advertising.)

He was wrong once and nothing happened, I don't expect this next round to be much different. You may see something on the small scale of things, but the big picture? Don't think May 21st will be any different than most other days.
                      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

lol i was reading alittle more and it looks liek he has a 3rd and 4th option for dates of the rapture.... wierd...
                        "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I, personally, cannot wait for the rapture.

I like my privacy.

Comment

There's no privacy in Hell, Rok.

It's like being jammed in a volkswagen bus with 20 hippies after a three day Grateful Dead concert in the hot sun - and they're all out of dope and full of burritos.

Better to be swept off the face of the earth.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

well all i have to say then is i hope to god we're right :P

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                                There's no privacy in Hell, Rok.
                                That's true - Hell is other people, and the rapture is supposed to take most of 'em At least SOME of 'em...some of the more irritating ones, anyway...

Comment

Working...
                                X