Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's QDJ (the Quetzalcoatl Apocalypse version!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's QDJ (the Quetzalcoatl Apocalypse version!)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Do the clothes you wear to work or school reflect your personality, or are they a 'costume' to fit into the image of who your boss/colleagues/teachers expect you to be?

I think most clothes are costumes, really. But for school my wardrobe was mostly for other people when it was nice - because they ARE my contacts into my career world and I wanted to leave a good impression. Then there were days when I'd show up in pajamas and just be like, "feck you, it's early."
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

My wardrobe is so connected to my immediate feelings of the day that those who know me well can generally tell exactly how I'm feeling by looking at my wardrobe.

Since leaving school and entering further professionalism, I've sort of attempted to reverse the process on any given day by dressing to induce a personality type and set of feelings and motivations rather than the other way around, and it works most of the time. I guess you could consider the entire process either way, though, as costuming a character. It's difficult, though; if you wholly embody the character, is it costuming or a representation of reality?

Everything's all, like, permeable, man. Far out.

Comment

Do the clothes you wear to work or school reflect your personality, or are they a 'costume' to fit into the image of who your boss/colleagues/teachers expect you to be?
        I seriously don't spend that much time thinking about my clothes. Though I guess it's a 'costume' because if I could wear what I want everyone would make fun of me! Something tells me a Batman costume doesn't work that well
        [4:82]

Comment

For Amf, I wear a Ref's uniform shirt and thin long black sleeve arm sleeves underneath with black jeans. I can't show my tattoos. But I do decorate with earrings and head bands and anything that glitters. Does it reflect my personality? The accessories do! But the uniform makes me look like a nice lady who doesn't have tattoos! It's always funny the first time a co-worker or customer sees me out of uniform. Then I become the bad ass mamajama.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Oh, okay. I was just going to skip this one, as I've been out of work for some ten years and out of school for over 25.

But, when I did still work? No uniforms, costumes or any of that. I flat out wore what I wanted to. In the overwhelming heat of summer, with no AC at work, that would mean as little as possible, even... For instance, remember those spandex 'biker shorts'?

I had that same disregard for 'wearing what was appropriate' back in high school. I was a "druggie" at that point, anyway, so what I wore was in the nature of being practical. It had to be able to conceal baggies, smokes, lighter, pipe, papers... and the not-so-occasional bottle or six-pack. I had odd priorities in school.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Dress code at my job is jeans with a large cover-all issued t-shirt. Pretty casual...but not a lot of room for accessories, especially with how short my hair is right now. I usually wear some kind of geeky gamer t underneath, so I can look normal again on the way home.

I don't think my choices if I've stopped by when I'm not working have caught anyone off guard, but I have been getting surprised second glances if I'm wearing a short skirt or a v-neck. Cover-all shirts tucked in at the waist is not a good look for short curvy girls either.

I'm interested in seeing how things go once I'm not living out of a suitcase, and have my full wardrobe again.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Funny, I was just thinking about this today. While I wear the colors I prefer (lots of dark blues/purples/reds, paired with black) at work, I'm still dressing to their standards. It's absolutely a costume.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

A little bit of both. I think when you have a job you kind of have to put on a public face, and it helps to fit into what expectations are in place for that work environment. But I do like to be myself. Luckily I don't have a style that really clashes with work.

Oddly, a lot of my workplaces have been more casual than I would prefer to dress. Like, my last work was a dotcom, and everyone wore jeans and tees, which isn't really my style. I felt really weird going to work all dressed up though. Sometimes I wore more casual dresses and skirts, and sometimes I wore black jeans and heels.

I also 'power dress' when I need the advantage. I'll wear a suit if I need confidence or am going for an interview or important meeting. I'll also wear something bright because I want to get noticed in those situations. Bright, but not flashy.

Comment

Meh, I'm always me, and my clothes tend to reflect that unless "forced" to do otherwise (for work, if necessary, but not at this job usually) or the occasion calls for it (I won't embarrass my friends' family by showing up in a kilt with a wizard's staff and a viking helmet unless, you know, their friends from here).

Comment

I wear a uniform to work. Long sleeved shirt, cuffs or whatever, black slacks. Radio, fanny pack sort of thing with all the essential papers/pens/etc.

I really didn't care what people thought about my appearance in school so I just wore jeans and a tee.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Name three people (dead or alive) that have influenced the way you are.

Comment

My grandfather, my dad and my step-daughter, Alissa.

All deceased, now.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

My mother, my wife, and my son...too easy.

Comment

My father, my mother, Marilyn Manson. Yeah, for realz.

Comment

My mother, Alex, Assorted dudes who f*ed up my mentality for a long while (they're a group in my mind, all very similar in behavior and affect).
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X