This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite holiday

My favorite is Samhain/Halloween. I celebrate it as the new year, but also love dressing up, decorating, carving pumpkins, etc. If I can, it's the first day I break out the apple cider (YUM). It's the one day of the year I don't have to wear my uniform to work. I set my new year resolution then, though I have as much trouble pulling through with it as anyone.

The only downside is that from then on we're plowing strait into winter which is my least favorite season... I hate the cold. And the snow...
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Summer holidays we get so many days of school and perfect time to go on a holiday

Comment

long time, sunshine , seaside. handsome man ,haha

Comment

Summer Solstice, hands down.

And my birthday, because I get cake!

(Neither of these holidays result in a day off work though, sadly)

Mostly art.

Comment

My favorite traditional celebration from my home country Latvia is Ziemassvetki (also commercially known as Christmas). The two weeks before Ziemassvetki are called Velu laiks, the "season of ghosts." During the festival, candles are lit and a fire is kept burning until the end, when its extinguishing signals an end to the unhappiness of the previous year. During the ensuing feast, a space at the table is reserved for Ghosts, who was said to arrive on a sleigh. Carolers go door to door singing songs and eating from many different houses. This time is always a happy and 'together' time with my family and we feast like there is no tomorrow!

I equally adore Lieldienas (Easter). The celebration usually lasts three or four days; each day was devoted to a specific deity. Lieldienas is a celebration of dancing, singing and of course food. Upon waking on Easter morning we cleanse our faces in running (natural) water. Symbolically scattering evil away. We made our own Easter eggs with sacred Latvian symbols for various deities. One who steals an egg will be poor. One who eats a hard-boiled egg without salt is a liar. A girl who gives a boy two eggs doesn't like him; three eggs mean there is a chance she likes; four eggs means she doesn't like him but will be with him because he is richer; five eggs means she loves him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lieldienu_olas2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	351930
            My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

I'll get back to you after a thorough contemplation of the info here
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Samhain or Yule...I love both for different reasons and it's hard to choose! I've always loved "spooky" things since I was a child so Halloween was my favorite holiday. I love Yule even though my family doesn't realize at the moment I celebrate Yule, just like they celebrate Christmas. I love seeing family and friends that time of year. If I can get into the holiday spirit anyway, some years it's eluded me for whatever reason! I think many people have those years sometimes though.

Comment

Friday is my favorite holiday.

Comment

I know I'm putting myself up for public mockery here, but my favorite holiday is Christmas. Not Yule, Christmas.

For me, Yule is always solitary, spent in the cold, silent space of winter. Don't get me wrong, my spirit THRIVES on this solitude, it appeals to my natural rhythm and the bjorn within DEMANDS this... but it is that feeling of inner winter that drives me into the coziness that comes with Christmas. I mean hell, it comes with its own songs, the older of which are actually haunting and beautiful, the lights, the feeling of neighborly good cheer...

Yes, I think that's the SPIRIT of Yule. But the rest of America knows it as Christmas, and I sorta figure, "who cares what you call it or how you celebrate it? Just gather those that you love, be generous and grateful to all, and bask in the warm light of the fire."

Heh. Yeah. Super cheesy. But for real, I'll be singing carols and watching movies and praying for snow all during December. I fuggin LOVE DAT STUFF.
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                      I know I'm putting myself up for public mockery here, but my favorite holiday is Christmas. Not Yule, Christmas.

For me, Yule is always solitary, spent in the cold, silent space of winter. Don't get me wrong, my spirit THRIVES on this solitude, it appeals to my natural rhythm and the bjorn within DEMANDS this... but it is that feeling of inner winter that drives me into the coziness that comes with Christmas. I mean hell, it comes with its own songs, the older of which are actually haunting and beautiful, the lights, the feeling of neighborly good cheer...

Yes, I think that's the SPIRIT of Yule. But the rest of America knows it as Christmas, and I sorta figure, "who cares what you call it or how you celebrate it? Just gather those that you love, be generous and grateful to all, and bask in the warm light of the fire."

Heh. Yeah. Super cheesy. But for real, I'll be singing carols and watching movies and praying for snow all during December. I fuggin LOVE DAT STUFF.
                      I'm hearing ya! I love all the cheesy aspects of commercial Christmas too. My family love the tree decorating, shopping, food and we celebrate BIG TIME on Xmas day! My daughter and I are already talking about who's house we will have our celebrations this year (she wants it at her new home).
                      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Esther or Samhain/Halloween all the way :grin:
                        I love the atmosphere of fall.

Comment

My favorite holiday has always been Halloween/Samhain. I don't know why it has been my favorite, but it just has.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Easter is mine ^_^.
                            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Mine is Samhain. It's when I've been able to feel the most free to worship, and I love that I can celebrate it alongside my Christian friends with ease. The other holidays I have felt like I had to hide my practices from the world, and go and celebrate in my room alone or risk intolerance and hate.

Although I also really love Yule.

Comment

It's hard for me to pick just one favorite! I think it would probably be Thanksgiving or Yule, though. Thanksgiving because a lot of the day is about the food, and, um, I really like food. I also like cooking and baking, getting to cook with my grandmother, and the whole family meal thing.

I think Yule might actually take the top place... but I consider Yule to be a long event that runs from the evening before the solstice all the way through new year's day. I like the lights and decorations, I like the snow if there's any by that time, again the whole cooking and baking thing comes into play, getting presents for people, and all the usual things associated with that time. However, on new year's day my family also has it's own tradition of having a big meal of (mostly) traditional Japanese foods, and new year's eve involves a lot of prep for that by my grandmother and me, which I always enjoy a lot.
                                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
                                X