Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

A - I put this in the lol section for a reason.

B - Thanks for the info Eisheth

C - Both rep systems have positives and negatives. rofl

D - Um doesn't anyone else have some daft (or not so daft) ideas of how to improve PF?

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
      A. No, to flame wars. There's other places to go to put on your boxing gloves. The TV and FU forums thrived on both hostility and the art of it. That is not what we ever want to present, here, at PF. Ever.

B. I never use that activity stream. Straight to my subscribed threads and then on to new posts. In fact, I wasn't even aware of the activity stream until someone else commented about it, a while back.

C. Split reputation makes no sense. It invites childish plus and minus games, LOL-wars and is completely useless for fresh members to get a feel for who is worth a damn. The way it is now, you have a long hard road to get a great reputation. Same with a bad reputation. As notorious as Medusa is and always has been, around here, for skirting the very limits all the way to having her hands metaphorically smacked for poking someone too hard, that reputation is not just well earned, but very, very telling. Taking a look at Thalassa's reputation, or Mrs. Penry's, that reputation is also well earned and very telling. Not having any reputation to speak of? Well, you better get to work if you want it to show what kind of person you are. That is, unless it already shows that.

It works, absolutely, as intended.
      ^^^^^^ This.

I hate the +/- stuff some boards have. By TV are you by any chance referring to Troll Valhalla ???? LMAO if so.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
        D - Um doesn't anyone else have some daft (or not so daft) ideas of how to improve PF?
        You can write me off as a fan girl, lol.

The preview thing, where you can mouse over a thread's topic & read part of the first post? Love it. The karma system? Easy to use & allows for a comment to tell people why you voted for them the way you did. Fantastic. The 'New Posts' and 'Activity Feed'? I'm informed about the new stuff without having to wade through the old stuff.

I also like that everything's optional. I hate sites that spam you with subscribed topics automatically.

Plus, we've got good, level-headed mods and always have.

Out of all the forums I've joined, I honestly like PF's set-up the best. I suggest things from here to other sites I visit. I'm not knowledgeable enough about how the forum is built to suggest more technical things, so I keep my mouth shut on those. If I lack the vocabulary to explain why something bugs me (it's mostly profile/settings/mesages stuff) then I just ignore it.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm not a fan of change for change's sake. I'm more a member of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' brigade.

PF works fine. It's fluid, the mods are fair and approachable.

As for the thread being in the LOL debate - either you want change or you don't. Are you seriously suggesting that if changes had been made then you'd have turned around and said something like - LOL - I was only joking???
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

No I wasn't joking but I didn't expect anyone to take that idea seriously either.

Sometimes you just know an idea will be rejected.

Comment

Yeah, I do like a lot of your ideas Alice, but not this one. LOL! But, that's because a flame section would terrify me to no end and scare me away from speaking my mind or even logging in, because I would be too paranoid I'd show up in a flaming topic. o_o
              I'm a perfect target for not being liked, been through it during all of my high-school years and part of my twenties. I love the fact that even though people debate here and have strong convictions in topics, everyone stays a bit civil... which in other forums that's not the case. This is the first forum EVER that I've been to where differences in religion, politics, race, etc. didn't spawn into all out, "tell me where you live, because I have a shotgun with your name on it!" Eep! Or string of personal insults to a person, that has NOTHING to do with the topic whatsoever, like screaming "oh, yeah! Well, that's why your boyfriend left you, because you're a (bleep, bleep, bleeping, bleep)!" ;^_^
              Although... I didn't know there was an adult section to this forum... hmmm... ummm... I may just ask to have access to it, if I get the courage to share that side of me. ^_^

My suggestion for PF? Well, I can't think of any! This site is so awesome and welcoming! It's been years since I felt comfortable in a forum and I'm glad that I stumbled across this site by mistake!
              My everyday wacky blog

Comment

My only suggestion comes in the form of the ancient proverb: Be excellent to each other.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  My only suggestion comes in the form of the ancient proverb: Be excellent to each other.
                  Excellent!!! ^o^
                  That's my favorite proverb too!
                  My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Attempt to reply (rev3...damn crappy Internet).
                    I didn't even notice that this was in the lol section, to be honest. I just saw a big red "debate" prefix and went for it, with my seriousness.
                    Anywho, we have a site information section just for this purpose. Members can post ideas, suggestions, concerns about how the site works there. If you want a serious conversation about stuff you'd like to see on the board, post em there. If someone is concerned about how to word what they are thinking, that's perfectly ok. I accept PMs any time about anything. I may not respond right away or within a couple of days because sometimes I have to mull over what's being said, or I am just really busy with work (sorry...it's what pays for keeping this joint running) but I read ever single pm or email that I get. The "contact us" feature that we have....I get an email forward for every single one.
                    The site is far from where I want it to be. Hell, to be perfectly honest, I'm still discovering new tools in this software that I wish I had known about when we first switched to this package. Sure, some parts are lacking. I wanted to have an arcade for you guys by now. I want to install a better chat. I want to make some things about the site a bit more user friendly. And as helpful as the staff here is, we can't read minds (yet, although some of them are damn close).

So, please, if you have valid questions or concerns or suggestions about the site, post them. We do read them and discuss in the staff section. They may not be implemented right away (if they are reasonable and doable, given there are no software restrictions) but things do happen.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Have you ever considered a 'shout box'? I'm not sure if it would be possible on this server, but the other forum I haunt (though admittedly not much these days, I should fix that), used to have one and it as great. Basically, you could leave a message, like a facebook update, without signing into a chatroom. The whole community could see what you'd written, although it only showed something like the last 10 messages at once. It also sometimes led to chats because someone would reply to your update and you'd get into a conversation. Then other passers by who might not have time to log into a chat room, might be interested or have an opinion about what you're discussing and pop in to add something. It was very successful and created a real closeness between members. I know chat can too, but this was just more accessable somehow. It included more members by being so obvious and not requiring a log-in. Just a sensible suggestion.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

We used to have a shout box with the old software. I'm pretty sure I could find a mod for is one (shouldn't be too difficult really) but if I recall correctly there wasn't much interest expressed in getting a shout box with this software at the time of the switch. Then again, our member base has changed quite a bit since then so if people show a significant interest increase these days, I will put some effort into getting it back.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I think it's a good idea, because sometimes I'm too shy to come into chatrooms. ;^_^
                          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                            I think it's a good idea, because sometimes I'm too shy to come into chatrooms. ;^_^
                            Our chatroom doesn't get much traffic anymore, I think...

...it did better when we hosted regular chats, but the mod that was handling that had a ton of L.I.F.E. happen and had to step back for a bit.

Maybe I'll get on that...I just fixed my laptop!

(I fixed it by myself, with youtube, for a $140 less than the computer repair place was going to charge me!!!)
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                              We used to have a shout box with the old software. I'm pretty sure I could find a mod for is one (shouldn't be too difficult really) but if I recall correctly there wasn't much interest expressed in getting a shout box with this software at the time of the switch. Then again, our member base has changed quite a bit since then so if people show a significant interest increase these days, I will put some effort into getting it back.
                              Only if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I would definitely use it and I can guess at a few others who might, but I'd hate for you to go to trouble only for it to then be a flop.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              .I just fixed my laptop!

(I fixed it by myself, with youtube, for a $140 less than the computer repair place was going to charge me!!!)
                              That is win right there! Go you!! Those places are a rip off. I'm very impressed that you were able to locate and mend the issue on your own.
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'd use a shoutbox (when bored) but I think you should call it an ominous whisper box.

Comment

Working...
                                X