This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

So, I think I mentioned in here somewhere that I had been trying to throw together a kind of study group with the intention of hanging out in minecraft doing various quests and custom maps while practicing Japanese. Well today I stumbled upon an existing group. I'm so excited about it. I'm not sure when I'll find the time to take part, but I'm really keen to have a go. They have native speakers on the server and while there are people with far greater Japanese than mine, there are also plenty with lower proficiency, so I don't think I'll feel left out. In fact, I watched one of their videos and I understood it pretty easily due to watching so many lets plays in Japanese and having a good few Japanese minecraft sessions under my belt myself. So I don't think I'd struggle too much. Well, with the language at least. I'm sure I'll suck at the game itself as much as I always have! ;p

I'm so excited about this group. I can't wait to get going! Some friends from the forum I'm in seem to be planning on joining too, so I don't even have to be entirely with strangers! If I feature in any videos, I'll be sure to let you know, lol.

Oh and while I realise I've been lucky to find pagans who like minecraft, and pagans who know Japanese on this forum, I'm almost certainly pushing my luck to expect to find a Japanese speaking, pagan, minecraft fan. Still, you never know on this site... so just in case.. here's the link if anyone wants to join in!

The site scared the crap out of me though. I signed up and it asked for my minecraft name. I just typed in jembru like I do on everything and when my profile popped up, my avatar is the face from my minecraft skin (it's a vocaloid girl). I don't know how it did that magic.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Did I post here that I finally got Minecraft?

It's only on the 360, but it's better than nothing. Hoping to get it for the PC by the end of the year.
      So many hours have been spent in that game, it's quite crazy. Who knew that mining could be simultaneously calming and nerve-wrecking lol
      Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

nice films. I am a Minecrafter myself, with both the PC and PS3 versions of the game. I love how minimalist it is, and just the amount of freedom you are given(the only thing comparable to it is Garry's Mod), love that its a nice mix between Adventure, Sandbox and Horror. Honestly, I can't say anything about Minecraft that hasn't already been said. Except that at one point I would build temples dedicated to Greek Gods(including my patron deities) in Minecraft, it was nothing too grand as there were no statues and such, but it was still a nice thing to do.

P.S. maybe we could set up a MC server sometime, just to goof off in when we have nothing better to do with our time. :P
        "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

Originally posted by Watchful Overseer View Post
          P.S. maybe we could set up a MC server sometime, just to goof off in when we have nothing better to do with our time. :P
          We were discussing this awhile ago and I really like the idea but we'd need to find someone to host it. It would be very interesting to work with each other in that way. I would definitely play on it once I finally get the full minecraft version.
          Circe

Comment

Indeed. I can say that I wouldn't qualify, since I'm not that tech savvy. Also I found this:

"As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

I'm kinda half glad, half horrified that I decided to click on this thread.. I thought I was over this game... Darn
              Work hard Play hard.
              What is history?

Comment

Nooo I had just managed to break free from the obsession! (and replaced it with a replay of Skyrim, and with Banished.)

Comment

I keep finding myself watching Youtube shows about Minecraft like CinnamonToastKen, Strippin and Markiplier...
                  I even broke down and downloaded it but I can't play cuz I'm sans server XD
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                    I keep finding myself watching Youtube shows about Minecraft like CinnamonToastKen, Strippin and Markiplier...
                    I even broke down and downloaded it but I can't play cuz I'm sans server XD
                    As in your cant find a server to play on or?
                    Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      As in your cant find a server to play on or?
                      I haven't actually looked for a server but I hear terrible stories about the public/free ones. :/
                      I only just very recently downloaded it.
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                        I haven't actually looked for a server but I hear terrible stories about the public/free ones. :/
                        I only just very recently downloaded it.
                        Did you buy the game or download a free version?

Crash course guide to multiplayer:

Some public servers are better than others. Most servers can only be accessed if you buy the game because they check accounts through minecraft.net, however some are "cracked" servers which are run in offline mode and that lets it bypass the website. Meaning people who've the free version can play on them without buying the game. Most of these are crap but some are really quite impressive and better than some ones that are premium. It depends mostly on how nice the community is and how attentive the staff is.

The majority of servers (premium and cracked) run what's called factions as their main form of play which is an open player v. player environment with a built in function that allows one to form team groups, or factions, which confers on them benefits like being able to protect (well better protect) land and taking less damage from others in that land. It's similar to single player except everyone is basically out to kill you, steal your stuff and break whatever you've built. It is not meant to be a friendly environment.

Hunger games is another popular thing on multi, a minigame which is exactly like the books/movie. You get a starter kit and try to murder everyone around you until you're the last one standing. Limited players, an "arena" of land and some fun. Generally people are nicer than you would think when trying to kill one another.

Survival is my personal favorite. It's the same as the single player version but with other people. PVP is usually disabled. The goal is cooperation rather than war like factions is. Generally there's some form of anti-griefing plugs too. Depending on the version, unless you give permission for someone to alter your land it's indestructible as lava, water, tnt and fire do not function normally and will not damage your lands when placed on the outside.

Creative is the same as in the single player except you generally are only given a small area to build on. Skyblock is a floating island survival game where you use limited resources to survive on essentially a dirt chunk in the sky. Prison is kinda stupid imo. You play the part of a prisoner in a premade compound where there is open pvp but certain rules that restrict your actions (like using a sword in front of a "guard" means automatic death). Sometimes there's other minigames offered like mob arenas (think nazi zombies on call of duty).

If you haven't yet figured it out you don't need a server to play since there is a single player function. This is a different experience from multi for a number of reasons besides the obvious. Single player is a unique experience because one of the main themes of minecraft (Imo, on single player at least) is isolation.

I've been on a server for a few weeks called play.pika-network.net and am enjoying it. They actually maintain multiple linked servers offering all different kinds of gameplay (all the ones I listed actually). So you can move between them, trying things out or switching if you get bored. The community is fairly nice as far as it goes. The staff sometimes ignore you but are otherwise active with events and conversation with members. They have a forum that goes with their server that lets you report players and such, making that role of staff in the game itself less important to them. Since it's an old server it can be difficult to get started on Factions or Survival due to the lack of available land near the spawn point , and in the case of factions, hostile other players in advanced armor and weapons but people on survival are very willing to assist you. I'm well established on survival.
                        Circe

Comment

Oh that's great information! Thanks Corvus.
                          Sneak Attack

Comment

Working...
                          X