This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

MC player here, late to the thread as usual.

I have the same habit others have mentioned of creating new worlds all the time. I've also accidentally deleted worlds I really liked to make room for new worlds I also really liked. I just like to see what new things can be spawned and occasionally will just explore for long chunks of time, not building or anything just...flying around in creative mode. MC is cool like that.

One of my favorite worlds that I'm SO BUMMED I accidentally deleted (it's still on my to-do list to recreate the idea from scratch!) was a very loose world with lots of different spots and cities and odd underground buildings. I made it all loosely connected and put a bunch of little books all over the place, indicating a story behind everything. There was this half-exploded laboratory looking thing with tons of jail-cell like areas (iron bars, etc.), one of which had a live zombie in it, right? And I put a book in there that reads like a doctor's journal, heatedly talking about a patient he's working on trying to cure who gets worse, and how he's doing this in secret away from villagers (there's a village situated right near the site); and in the last entry, it's indicated that villagers discover his lab and trash it out, possibly setting free a bunch of zombies. It sounds like he started the zombie epidemic, but I put clues elsewhere to show that the "patient" was in fact his sibling who'd been bitten, and he just wanted to cure them, but the villagers were superstitious and anti-science and took pitchforks and fire to his lab.

Other books spoke of a little girl slowly becoming possessed, and so on. Temples were erected all over the place to various elements, situated in areas that fit said elements (for example, the water temple was placed high above a beautiful coastal/cliff area where the sunset could be viewed, with waterfalls emptying into the ocean) and one underground, ruined temple (purposely took some TNT to a few parts of it) was a mysterious and dark looking one with no indication as to its intent.

Overall I wanted to create this world full of ancient civilizations, mysteries, monsters, horror, humor, and so on. StormBringer helped build random things in it (I wanted it to look like there were varied elements loosely fitting together anyway, different cultures and such, so having multiple builders made sense). It's gone now but I kind of want to recreate it someday, maybe with his help.

Haven't played in a little while (got caught up in Skyrim and Fallout 3!), but after reading this thread I might play again, haha!

- - - Updated - - -

Dude! I found one of the cheesy little creepy horror story books I had lying around in that world.
    Totally shamelessly sharing it here because it's short:

Found Diary

April 7th:
    Mommy doesn't know about my diary.
    I'm scared she might find out. I talk
    to kitty but kitty just sits and stares.
    Just like everyone else. I've been a bad
    girl, but I just want to talk.
    This will have to do for now.

April 12th:
    Haven't had time to write until now.
    Today Alice and I went swimming.
    She made fun of my swimsuit. The
    red man says she'll never do that
    to me again. I hope he's right. I
    almost woke Mommy up crying
    when I snuck back inside the house.

May 3rd:
    Blood is red
    Tears are blue
    Alice is dead
    And so are you
    Say a prayer
    Sing a song
    Read my words and
    It won't be long
    - Red Man

May 5th:
    I don't remember writing the last page.
    I opened up to write today 'cause
    Mommy is gone, and there it was! It's
    in my handwriting though! What's
    wrong with me? Maybe I need to talk
    to the red man. He knows everything.

May 6th:
    Red man told me his name today.
    It's really cool! Mortalis - I've never
    heard that word before. I'm going
    to call him Morty! Have to go! Morty
    showed me this really great tunnel
    under the house and we're going
    exploring today!

May 10th:
    Mommy and my sunday school teacher
    were waiting for me when I came home
    from school today. Mommy says I can
    never talk to Morty again or I'll get the
    special baptism. I'm so scared! I don't want to drown.
    DIE B**** DIE B**** DIE B**** DIE B****
    DIE B**** DIE B**** DIE B**** DIE B****

May 11th:
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over
    Red rover red rover
    Let Luci come over

May 13th:
    They're taking me to the special baptism
    at the river today, what am I going to do??
    Morty help me, please, I don't want to
    die b**** die b**** die b**** die b****
    die b**** die b**** die b**** die
    Imminentis Mortis,
    tuum incantatum repelli,
    talis dicit Deus Noctis
    ((Note: Purposely written in terrible Latin, because I assumed a little girl wouldn't be able to write Latin very well.))

May 14th:
    We are one
    We are one
    Read our words
    Be undone

Three days.

Comment

That's awesome Rainbow and very creative I've been trying to do things like that but I have such trouble committing to anything

I thought I would share this screenie. I just loved that an enderman decided to pose so wonderfully on top of a lamp post
      Attached Files
      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        That's awesome Rainbow and very creative I've been trying to do things like that but I have such trouble committing to anything

I thought I would share this screenie. I just loved that an enderman decided to pose so wonderfully on top of a lamp post
        Nice shot! LOL the Enderman's just like "Oooh sunset" XD

Anyone heard of that Herobrine creepypasta thingy? It's the most awesome thing to try out on a late night when it's dark in the room and be totally creeped out by what you find. You just spawn a world with the name/world seed "Herobrine" and start exploring, and after a while you'll start to find some seriously creepy stuff. Storm and I did it and discovered an underground cave complex with what looked like prison cells - and the doors were opening and closing around and behind us as we walked around. I swear, I think the developers must have coded this stuff in there as a prank!

Comment

If you look in the patch notes for each update you can see the note "Herobrine removed" which seems to be a running joke. However there's some weird stuff that happens and I'm just like must be herobrine. Sometimes big chunks of blocks just disappear but the shape or the respective blast resistances aren't equivalent of a creeper explosion and it might not be something endermen can pick up. There's quite a few things that are just outright unsettling about minecraft. People have apparently combed through the coding of minecraft and found nothing but eh I'm not so sure.

However this is a little specific "I've publicly told people there's never been any such thing as Herobrine, and that I don't have any dead brothers, and that letting too many animals die in lava is a fool proof way to summon him but that you don't need to be afraid of him. He only means well, he's looking out for you, trying to warn you of the dangers you can't see. There certainly are NO physical manifestations of Herobrine that will sneak out of your computer if you leave Minecraft running at night, looming over you as you sleep with his pale eyes inches away from your face, as he tries to shout at you to wake up. Sometimes you wake up with a jolt, and he's gone, and all that lingers is the memory and faint echo of his wordless screaming. Of course it was just a dream. There's no way a morally dubious ghost with a god complex could at any point decide to haunt the children who play my game "for their own good", as there is NO SUCH THING. etc etc"
          Last edited by Corvus; 22 Aug 2013, 17:42.
          Circe

Comment

Wow, this got cool while I was sleeping! We haven't had a chance to try out apowersoft yet, but I've mentioned it to JP and we'll have a go with it. Actually, my sleep pattern has been so messed up lately, that I haven't really been able to do much of anything let alone Minecraft. I did have time yesterday evening, but JP was on a late shift at work and I need him to set up the control pad for me (I've never played games on PC before and couldn't get the hang of using the keyboard, so I play with a PS3 control pad ^^). I really must learn how to do this for myself.

I love the herobrine myth. I think it was Notch's intention though. I mean, he obviously liked the concept of slenderman, to have incorporated it into his creation, so it doesn't take much imagination to assume he could have wondered if he too, could create an urban legend in a virtual world. That both slenderman and Herobrine capture so many imaginations, despite our knowing they were both fabricated, I think reveals a little something about the human mind and makes me wonder if we as a race, have a predisposition to latch onto mythology. I won't be submitting this to any scientific journals just yet, but it's an interesting thought.

The custom map I mentioned, that had been done all in vanilla (despite having strange mobs that I'm pretty sure aren't possible without using mods), featured Herobrine as the main boss. I should probably link it.. just in case anyone is curious (the first few episodes are nothing unusual, but it gets weird later on).

Even the description insists it uses no mods.. but.. how on earth? It might be his second map that has the flying creepers in, I'll have to watch it all again to be sure.. (no hardship ^^)

@Rainbowdemonic: that world sounds amazing. It's a real shame it was deleted. It's kind of what I was hoping to do, only I hadn't thought to leave books around with all the history of the different civilizations. It's a wonderful idea.

@corvus: no, I hadn't heard of the calculator. I actually read your post last night and I asked JP to search for it on youtube. I was absolutely blown away by it, and now I have an answer to Medusa's latest question!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Pardon the double post.

Yeah, watched again and Herobrine's mansion isn't so messed up. His other map, Herobrine Returns, however.. is a great map, but definitely modded!

I forgot to ask in my last post, Corvus, was that a quote from Notch? Or your own words? I also forgot to say I liked your screenshot. There's no way you could fake that! lol
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

it's defiantly an adventure map. I'm pretty sure some of it's been modded but it doesn't really matter since it's adventure and you kinda need at least one mod for that.

I was actually thinking of a different calculator that was far more primitive (probably it's forerunner). This one is just amazing. With the other I could've maybe thought of how it worked but this is just...

It's a quote from Notch off the Herobrine wiki page
                Circe

Comment

I've thought about making temples dedicated to my gods in minecraft (since building an actual temple is impractical). Those gods in question seem ... amused by the thought but not really hostile toward the idea. Have any of you thought about it? what would your opinion be? I feel the hardest part would be making it really seem like it belongs to that deity. I don't think I'll actually do it but I have thought about it enough that I considered proposing it to you guys
                  Circe

Comment

Well... People have virtual altars and temples on their PC's sometimes, don't they? I think we once even had a thread for it. I see no reason at all why it wouldn't be just as spiritual an experience as building one in real life. In fact, the effort alone could be a powerful exercise. I think it is honestly a wonderful idea. Heck, I would even imagine simple sympathetic magic could be possible within the game, so long as the actions were meaningful to you. I mean, people cast spells from inner temples, I have such a place, a very detailed place, in my own imagination, so I don't see how building one in minecraft would be so different. It's a beautiful idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      Well... People have virtual altars and temples on their PC's sometimes, don't they? I think we once even had a thread for it. I see no reason at all why it wouldn't be just as spiritual an experience as building one in real life. In fact, the effort alone could be a powerful exercise. I think it is honestly a wonderful idea. Heck, I would even imagine simple sympathetic magic could be possible within the game, so long as the actions were meaningful to you. I mean, people cast spells from inner temples, I have such a place, a very detailed place, in my own imagination, so I don't see how building one in minecraft would be so different. It's a beautiful idea!
                      That does make sense. I myself had a notebook where I wrote and drew a temple for my gods since I lacked the space or resources for an altar. I still don't know if I will do it but I'm really considering it. Everything I make in minecraft is a monument to me (I really think of myself as a lord with my own personal fiefdom of villagers). It might be nice to make something where the purpose is to glorify someone other than myself. Once I figure out how to make good statues I think then there will be nothing stopping me.

On a somewhat related note I've mastered sphere building and I'm going sphere crazy. I'll post screenies when I've completed it. This is the reason. I figure statues are basically made of oval shapes and spheres. I'm considering making a sun and moon for my village out of gold and iron. If I do I might dedicate them to a solar and lunar deity. Since the spheres are hollow (and pretty big) I could make temples inside and add statues later when I figure them out
                      Circe

Comment

When I did temples I tended to do it to fake deities or just elements or concepts, personally. I'd feel uncomfortable doing an MC temple to like Odin or Thor. But that's just me. Whatever works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
                          When I did temples I tended to do it to fake deities or just elements or concepts, personally. I'd feel uncomfortable doing an MC temple to like Odin or Thor. But that's just me. Whatever works for you!
                          I feel it depends on the deity. Most of mine are pretty easy going and accepting of anything I want to give them as long as I do so with good intentions.
                          Circe

Comment

I personally can't see how making a statue or shrine in minecraft is any less of an expression of ones devotion than producing an oil painting, wood carving or metalwork in real life. It is still using an artistic medium that appeals to you and then using your time and effort to create something meaningful and devoting both the process and end result to deity. Why, just because it is in a virtual space, is that in any way offensive to deity, unless recreating that deity's image is forbidden, in which case, the painings and wood carvings would be out too.

Anyway, I really popped over to share the latest yoglabs video because I found the featured mod particularly interesting (better Steve animation.. with knees! I don't like it enough to want it in vanilla, but it looks cool. I also enjoyed Simon's acid trip... it's amazing what can be acheived with mods.

Comment

The kind of mods people have come up with never cease to amaze me.
                              Circe

Comment

Wha~っ? Y-y-you can...

Block?

On Minecraft, you can block and take half damage? Even against creepers?

I did not know this! How do you do it?

Oh wait.. I just got it.. 'block'? Haha, on Minecraft? Of course you can 'block'.

I'm serious though, how do I do it? This will be amazing against skeleton archers.

(I'm watching lets plays and someone mentioned blocking and the other person said, 'blocking? Well you can block and take half damage, but one ever does'.)

Comment

Working...
                                X