Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    So...I have this chronic, irrational, obsessionary fear of driving off a bridge with the kids in the car. Before I had kids, I had the same fear--almost like a movie on repeat when I'm stressed out (anyone that is familiar with OCD should know what I'm talking about) that plays and plays... That the car would go over the bridge, and to get unstuck, I'd have to play out the scenario of what to do. Which was fine...I sort of trained myself to minimize it. But once I had kids, it became "which kid do I save"....and to "beat" the replay, I've had to creatively think of ways to get both kids out, no matter how implausible Either way though--its still a very real fear I have.
    Get one of those little car window breaker things.

It wont help the fear, but if it ever DOES happen, it may make the difference between saving the kids and everyone drowning while you try to save them.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      What scares you most?
      The thought of me hurting the people I care about specifically, and failing to live up to the standards I hold myself to in general. So I suppose making a mistake that I can't deal with. Something that can't be fixed, or undone... Something I couldn't forgive myself for.

So, to put it simply, being a failure in my own eyes.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

What scares you most?
        That something could happen to one of our kids (we have six, all grown) or their SOs, or the grandkids (ten of those, ranging from two to eighteen). I would lose my mind. And if anyone harmed any of them, I fear what I would do, and no power in the 'verse could stop me...
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

What scares you most?
          The idea of losing control of my body or mind - going insane, essentially; the idea of being struck by lightning; the idea of the ground falling away beneath me - as in the earth cracks we have around here - the Earth is supposed to be stable and reliable, the idea of it crumbling away beneath my feet scares the crap out of me; cancer or any other condition which would probably cause me to die feeling pain and panic.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

What scares you most?
            Dying alone and forgotten.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

This question was an effing downer, man. So new question!

What's your favorite thing about where you live?
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I live currently in Minnesota, there's absolutely nothing I like here, except for people thinking im hardcore.

Comment

Trees.

Lots of trees.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Almost everything, actually. Though this cold spike is...well I'm glad this only happens every 20 years or so.

Comment

Ptarmigans, caribou, wolves, foxes, the aurora borealis, the thousand million tiny stars in the night sky, and the stigma of how an entire community can live, year after year, in almost total darkness in the winter, and still emerge like bright butterflies from a cucoon in the springtime, ready to embrace the light. I like how I get an extra 8 minutes of daylight a day, and that each day is noticeably longer (or noticeably shorter in the autumn). The colour of the tundra in autumn. And how everybody basically lives outside from May - September once the snows start to melt, because they realize summer and warmth is a fleeting intangible beast that they must chase to enjoy.

So basically everything except frostbite, the cost of amenities and fuel, and the dead of winter when there's no light.

Mostly art.

Comment

The raw, scorching, pounding, blistering, blinding, inescapable heat of July. I bask in it like a lizard.

And the amazing thunderstorms of our monsoon season. And that we have a monsoon season.

Not having to worry about Snowpocalypses or Snowmageddons or polar vortices or any of that other winter blizzardy type b.s. If it snows here, I can go out with my water hose and rinse it away without having to worry about ice.

The pulse and rhythms of the city itself, how the population ebbs and flows with tourists and conventions but the jobs stay relatively steady.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The trees and other plants, Mauna Kea, the availability of a diverse range of food options, super cheap produce at farmer's markets, the temperature generally being between 70-85F, being on an island with lots of cool beaches, being on new land that grows every year, even if its genesis does lie in seeds that birds pooped onto lava rocks.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

I live on land that is covered in trees, is on a river, just about walking distance (for those that like to and CAN walk) to the Mississippi, experience four distinct seasons, is in a state that has three major ecosystems (the North woods, the Eastern deciduous and the Great Plains), I live roughly halfway between the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul) and Saint Cloud in what is (used to be) considered "the sticks", we have only one within a quarter mile of us, and when I sit out on the back deck in the Spring - before tick season, even - the only people I'm forced to interact with are family... people I choose to interact with.

Although I can't handle the cold winters, anymore, or the skeeter-infested hot and humid summers, it's still home. The Northstar State and the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I love the land, I love the history, I love the balance of seasons...

I, uh, don't have just 'one' favorite thing.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

That I won't be stuck here forever....

(try living with your in-laws and see how much you like it!)
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Great variety of birds & low property taxes.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X