Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    What worries you most about today's kids?
    They are going to destroy everything I love, it's just a matter of time.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

This may be (and I hope it is) because of where I live, but so many of the kids I work with are growing up to be unemployable.

Unmotivated, rude, short short short attention spans, unable to put two and two together and get an answer (even a wrong one), imagine that they have knowledge because they can Google an answer (without any understanding of how to arrive at an answer), unable to go 15 minutes without pulling out a phone...

Essentially - things they are allowed to get away with at home, and we struggle with it in school, but will never be tolerated in the workplace. To paraphrase Bill Gates, your boss just will not care about your self esteem.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ignorance. I'm more grateful each day that I remained true to myself and stayed child-free.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I think on one hand, what worries us about today's kids is the same thing that worried our parents generations about ourselves, and the preceding generation about them. I once had the pleasure of reading the diary of some random girl that I found at an antique store, and honestly, her complaints about her elders as a preteen from shortly after the turn of the 20th century (1910-1912) sounded remarkably like mine. I'd imagine (and from what I've read, I'm fairly sure I'm reasonably correct) her parents complaints (minus the technology) will sound remarkably like mine as a parent.

If anything were to worry me about today's kids as group (at least in terms of urban and suburban Western culture--and I've read enough articles and blogs from Europeans and Australians to know its not just a US thing), it would be their overwhelming distance from nature in comparison to previous generations.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure if it's their peer culture, environment, etc. - but the fact that so many of them seem to be downright sociopathic. No care or consideration for others or the property/space of others, no care for their natural environment or living things, no respect, no remorse.

Comment

The dependence upon technology. I mean, sure, here I am, sitting on the computer, BUT...I didn't have a computer until I was 16. I didn't have a phone until I was 19. I didn't have my OWN computer until I was 21. Growing up, everything was hand-me-down this, hand-me-down that, and it seems like (thanks to marketing) that kids these days want the latest gadget, the latest trend, the latest this and the latest that. And they want it now. They don't wanna work for it.

But the technology dependence gets me the most. There was this kid in the store last week who was bored, so I offered him some pens and paper to draw with. The kid looked at me in disgust and said "Why would I use that?" and then pulled out his IPHONE. When I told him we didn't have cell phones when I was a kid, his response (a response I've gotten from many kids - consider it my personal scientific experiment, if you will) ....the response I got was utter shock and dismay. How could you possibly live like that, they ask?

Or my little brother who's ten. Last time I went to visit, he didn't want to play in the park, or go biking, or go geocaching, or any of the stuff we used to do. He wanted to play xbox. All day. The entire month long visit.

Sadly, it's not just kids. I see adults that way too.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                Not sure if it's their peer culture, environment, etc. - but the fact that so many of them seem to be downright sociopathic. No care or consideration for others or the property/space of others, no care for their natural environment or living things, no respect, no remorse.
                Most of kids and teens are like this, no doubt. But there is a small amount of them who are the opposite. There is no doubt about this as well.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

This: If I mention something history wise that happened within the last 60 or so years,that I experienced personally they have no idea what I am talking about. I mean 60 years was not that long ago. The second world war was only about 70 years ago,and Vietnam was only about 40 years ago. If we do not remember our bad things,as they say they will be repeated.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    This: If I mention something history wise that happened within the last 60 or so years,that I experienced personally they have no idea what I am talking about. I mean 60 years was not that long ago. The second world war was only about 70 years ago,and Vietnam was only about 40 years ago. If we do not remember our bad things,as they say they will be repeated.
                    Teaching a class of college bound seniors, I needed a topic that I thought everybody would know at least something about - I picked the American Civil War.

Imagine my surprise in discovering that better than half the class didn't even know who was president at the time (I told them to look at a penny. They still couldn't figure it out), or what friggin' continent it took place on (AMERICAN Civil War? Whair wuz dat at?)...

This is no joke... I was floored...

This isn't due to bad education - this is due to flat out ignorance.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Teaching a class of college bound seniors, I needed a topic that I thought everybody would know at least something about - I picked the American Civil War.

Imagine my surprise in discovering that better than half the class didn't even know who was president at the time (I told them to look at a penny. They still couldn't figure it out), or what friggin' continent it took place on (AMERICAN Civil War? Whair wuz dat at?)...

WTF?!?!?!

I'm in pain now.
                      Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

..... I... Can't. Even.....
                        What? How?.....
                        seriously?

*curls up and cries in the corner mumbling about doom*
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yeah... welcome to the realities of education...

Comment

BDC - it seems that one of the fundamental problems with education in this country is the throwing out of facts and hoping that they'll stick. Kids aren't taught how to use the information (or under what circumstances it could be useful), so when they "learn" something for a test there's no incentive to remember it.

I remember taking Algebra and asking when I would ever use it...my teachers couldn't give me an answer. My wife uses it all of the time, but me? Never. And I also didn't understand the importance of History for largely the same reason...it's only been within recent years that I've been motivated to do my own research and learn on my own.

One of my serious beefs with the world is that they give (paid for with our tax dollars, so "give" is probably the wrong word) you what they want, not what you need.

Comment

I was lucky to have a very good math teacher,he took us outside and showed us what we could do with math, like determining the height of a building using the Pythagorean Theorem. He continued to teach like this,and I learned a LOT because of his technique of teaching.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                                BDC - it seems that one of the fundamental problems with education in this country is the throwing out of facts and hoping that they'll stick. Kids aren't taught how to use the information (or under what circumstances it could be useful), so when they "learn" something for a test there's no incentive to remember it.
                                Maybe. But, without disagreeing with you too strongly (because what you've said and what I'm about to say are closely related - if not identical), I'll suggest that the fundamental problem with education in this country is that it is wasted on the young - by which I mean that we teach people before they have much use for knowledge - and knowledge itself isn't considered valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X