Music these days............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music these days............

David Bowie? Was? I don't know about over there, but he's still hugely famous over here. There was an exhibition last year of Bowie costumes and memorabilia (it's hard to explain, it was sort of a multimedia thing that was originally done at the V&A in London) and there were lines around the corner every day until it was over. I heard it was just as big in London.

His last album also did really well over here....and his music is still good. He doesn't dress up like that anymore, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      David Bowie? Was? I don't know about over there, but he's still hugely famous over here. There was an exhibition last year of Bowie costumes and memorabilia (it's hard to explain, it was sort of a multimedia thing that was originally done at the V&A in London) and there were lines around the corner every day until it was over. I heard it was just as big in London.

His last album also did really well over here....and his music is still good. He doesn't dress up like that anymore, though.
      His unbelievable vocal range, perpetual artistic creativity, and ability to re-imagine himself makes him (IMHO) one of the brightest lights of 20th century music.

He's still popular here, too, but not as much...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        His unbelievable vocal range, perpetual artistic creativity, and ability to re-imagine himself makes him (IMHO) one of the brightest lights of 20th century music.

He's still popular here, too, but not as much...
        He's pretty much my favorite. If he tours again, I will be like "shut up and take my money." I went to his last tour and it was sooo good.

Comment

I used to think the same thing when I was 16, so I'll forgive you.

I will tell you something, though....EVERYONE says this. Every decade has had its terrible music and its great music. Sometimes, the terrible music is very mainstream and the great stuff is underground, whereas sometimes the good stuff makes it to the surface. We tend to forget the terrible stuff after a while though. The 1960s weren't all the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and the 1950s weren't all Elvis and Chuck Berry. When I studied music, I had the "pleasure" of learning about 20th century music history and learning about all the really, really popular music we've forgotten about. Time heals everything, I guess, including poor taste.

It's even happening with my generation. My childhood and teens span the early 90s to the early 00s. What people think of when they hear early 90s is almost totally devoid of everything terrible from then and totally full of Nirvana and REM. Even most of the horrible hits from the early 00s have escaped the public consciousness by now.

Anyway, there is a LOT of horrible music now, and I find that a lot of hits are overproduced garbage. BUT there is also a lot of fantastic music in the roster right now. Although a lot of them are indie bands, a lot of them are music press darlings. I encourage you to start reading some music magazines and digging into the album reviews. That's how I learned about great new bands back in the day (now it's even easier, because a lot of the press has gone online, so you don't need to shell out money on actual magazines). Pitchfork is fantastic, Spin is decent, Rolling Stone still has pretty good reviews, even if the articles favor the mainstream.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, no, this isn't weird at all. When I was your age, I delved into my parents' record collection and started collecting my own vinyl records. Today, that's totally cool, but 15 years ago, records were still things that people gave away to the thrift store. No one my age wanted anything to do with them unless they were total music geeks. I still collect. I have hundreds now. I can do without CDs, but you can take my vinyl from my cold, dead hands.

- - - Updated - - -

In Europe, our popular music is just as terrible as yours. It just seems better from over there because only the good stuff leaves (most of which isn't even that big here).
          True....... What I more meant by what I said (terribly communicated though it was) was that a lot of kids these days don't listen to older music simply because it is old, and mock those who do. They don't even TRY to listen to it- if it has 90s or previous anywhere on it, they just run in the other direction.

- - - Updated - - -

He's pretty much my favorite. If he tours again, I will be like "shut up and take my money." I went to his last tour and it was sooo good.
          That would be me if I could catch an Ozzy tour xD
          Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

And then you had "The New York Dolls"

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
              True....... What I more meant by what I said (terribly communicated though it was) was that a lot of kids these days don't listen to older music simply because it is old, and mock those who do. They don't even TRY to listen to it- if it has 90s or previous anywhere on it, they just run in the other direction.
              That has always been true. It was definitely true for me 15 years ago. If you go to college, it will be the exact opposite. Everyone will be into indie and older music, and everyone will have pissing contests about how obscure the music they like is.

Comment

I recently had someone call 90s music 'the oldies'.

I died a little inside.

I haven't even updated my style of clothing since the 90s.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah. Like when kids are like 'let's hear that classic Ice Ice baby' and have no clue what the hook is from. I die. And I take everyone around me with me.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

I died a little inside.

I would die a little inside, too. That's my generation that they're talking about.
                    "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

I died a little inside.

Last time I was in Vancouver, Nirvana and REM were on the classic rock station there. I also died a little inside.

I still have stuff from the 90s. Clothes, CDs, and other stuff that I bought then, in the 90s.

Comment

Last time I was in Vancouver, Nirvana and REM were on the classic rock station there. I also died a little inside.

I still have stuff from the 90s. Clothes, CDs, and other stuff that I bought then, in the 90s.
                        Lol, so here in LA the number one alt rock is KROQ. Has been since I was a teen. Now all my music is moved over to the classic rock old people station Jack fm. At work I have to tell them take it off the young kids station! Put it on the old people station!

What's worse is that the young assistant looks at me like I'm an old foagie. So I asked him 'you hear that Kevin and Bean duo you love so much in the morning?'

THEY are older then me. Good luck with your 'young person' station. It's all my peers dum dum

Comment

I am an old fogie that from time to time might listen to what I consider elevator music like "Welcome to the Jungle"
                          Former young Turk....and also former white punk on dope....

Young turks.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

So as a tween and into my early 20s I was a Duranie. A full blown on crazy Bieber loving like fan girl of Duran Duran. Thankfully they have withstood the test of time and we all realize how amazing they were and are.

But I hear them in elevators. This sucks.
                            My funeral music will be Girls on Film played on harps. :=I:

Comment

The music station I listen to plays everything from around the 60s until now. I love it!

Comment

This be them old blues I mentioned. Robert Johnsonhttps://youtu.be/Yd60nI4sa9A.

- - - Updated - - -

This be what the blues does to you...Yeh Baby!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X