Music these days............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music these days............

I hardly listen to mainstream Western music, but I certainly don't think all music is all that bad. There's music all over Europe and Japan, in particular, that have incredible, emotional, and non-vulgar lyrics. Not to mention the rise of fantasy music and epic orchestral music that has been gaining popularity through youtube.

Not trying to be too pushy on this, but if I had to give one example of modern music with thoughtful music, it would have to be Hysteria by Nano.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      No you didn't insult me. It's just..eh. I love Ozzy. I've seen him numerous times. I love heavy metal. I worked in a music store for 8 years and Hot Topic for 8. I have a wide range in music. That puts me in a special place to see from this vantage point of musical experience.

I've listened to many an Ozzy song that was just kinda...dumb. That's all. Everyone's music is special to them. Even the music of 'kids these days'. I mean I don't listen to the radio anymore. It's all old stuff (to me that is) Nin, Manson, Tool. And yes they have meaning. Meaning so deep Tool can't even explain what they hell they are talking about. But then they do a song like Satan's egg and well, it all goes out the door. Some new music is quite good. I adore Florence and the Machine for one. And I won't lie, I own every Nsync album and a Britney Spears greatest hit.

Let's not forget the Beatles are classified as solid POP.
      First, I am jelous you worked in Hot Topic. Big time. It's one of my favorite stores.

Secondly, you're right. I tend to be extremely opinionated, which is another affect of my Aspergers. I have a hard time seeing another side of an argument, or accepting that I can't always make the rules.

That is true. I definitley agree! I do like some new music, including Black Veil Brides, Falling in Reverse, Disturbed (Oh hell I love them) and Florence. I kinda aimed the "vulgar" comment more at rap and really dirty pop songs, and I'll admit I should've been way more specific.

Honestly I meant for this to be an innoccent thread asking about people's views on modern music vs. older music. But, I let my emotions kind of take over because I'd been cussed out today for liking KISS..... by a 10 year old... Normally that wouldn't bother me, and I would even think it was really ridiculous and laugh it off, I'm used to getting picked on for being wierd, and I know this is the internet, normally that wouldn't bother me at all, the problem was today my Aspergers is really affecting me more than usual, and when that happens it's harder for me to control my emotions (My actions, I can control. I won't hurt anyone if I get angry or anything, I've never hurt anyone. My MOUTH, not so much- I can barely control it on a good day), so basically anything can make me either cry hysterically, say something really stupid impulsively, or get very very angry and start yelling at someone- and it would really only take a little thing like that to set me off.
      (I know it seems like I blame a lot on my Aspergers but it actually IS the cause of it)

Luckily my rat helped me feel better, but before that I was just kinda angry at everything.........

I can get very annoyed at a lot of mainstream things, like selfies and and snapchat, simply because I see no point to them. But that's just me.... I really need to work on accepting other people's opinions though, it's true...

I'll be the first to admit I have a LOT of flaws when it comes to talking to other people.
      Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

I can get very annoyed at a lot of mainstream things, like selfies and and snapchat, simply because I see no point to them. But that's just me.... I really need to work on accepting other people's opinions though, it's true...
        Oh me too! Trust me.

There's nothing wrong with this thread. People disagree. I disagree with a lot of things. Doesn't mean anything is wrong. It's just a different opinion that's all.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
          I hardly listen to mainstream Western music, but I certainly don't think all music is all that bad. There's music all over Europe and Japan, in particular, that have incredible, emotional, and non-vulgar lyrics. Not to mention the rise of fantasy music and epic orchestral music that has been gaining popularity through youtube.

Not trying to be too pushy on this, but if I had to give one example of modern music with thoughtful music, it would have to be Hysteria by Nano.
          You're right.... I probably should have specified the specific artists and genres I was referring to *facepaws* that would've been a great idea.........

I actually love instrumental.

I kinda meant songs like Talk Dirty to Me, or Wiggle, or such like those. Again, genius me didn't think to specify that......

I actually do love GirlsDeadMonster, the lyrics to their songs are beautiful.

This thread I tried to make more about the fact a lot of today's kids don't listen to older artists simply becuase they are old. I kinda (okay, I majorly) failed in getting that point across, I'll admit. Oh well, we're only human I suppose

(Oh, also, your avatar picture is absolutely gorgeous)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Oh me too! Trust me.

There's nothing wrong with this thread. People disagree. I disagree with a lot of things. Doesn't mean anything is wrong. It's just a different opinion that's all.
          Well, that makes me feel better at least!
          Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
            You're right.... I probably should have specified the specific artists and genres I was referring to *facepaws* that would've been a great idea.........

I actually love instrumental.

I kinda meant songs like Talk Dirty to Me, or Wiggle, or such like those. Again, genius me didn't think to specify that......

I actually do love GirlsDeadMonster, the lyrics to their songs are beautiful.

This thread I tried to make more about the fact a lot of today's kids don't listen to older artists simply becuase they are old. I kinda (okay, I majorly) failed in getting that point across, I'll admit. Oh well, we're only human I suppose

(Oh, also, your avatar picture is absolutely gorgeous)
            Oh no worries, haha. When you're in the heat of the rant, it's easy to leave out details like that. But in that regard, I do agree, music like that I just find... odd, for lack of a better word.

I actually have Girls Dead Monster's main album (assuming they only released one?). I haven't looked up the lyrics, but the music itself is definitely really emotional.

I actually used to kind of be like that, not listening to any old music. I listen to 80s stuff occasionally, but for the most part, I listen to more modern music.

Oh and thank you!

Comment

I used to think the same thing when I was 16, so I'll forgive you.

I will tell you something, though....EVERYONE says this. Every decade has had its terrible music and its great music. Sometimes, the terrible music is very mainstream and the great stuff is underground, whereas sometimes the good stuff makes it to the surface. We tend to forget the terrible stuff after a while though. The 1960s weren't all the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and the 1950s weren't all Elvis and Chuck Berry. When I studied music, I had the "pleasure" of learning about 20th century music history and learning about all the really, really popular music we've forgotten about. Time heals everything, I guess, including poor taste.

It's even happening with my generation. My childhood and teens span the early 90s to the early 00s. What people think of when they hear early 90s is almost totally devoid of everything terrible from then and totally full of Nirvana and REM. Even most of the horrible hits from the early 00s have escaped the public consciousness by now.

Anyway, there is a LOT of horrible music now, and I find that a lot of hits are overproduced garbage. BUT there is also a lot of fantastic music in the roster right now. Although a lot of them are indie bands, a lot of them are music press darlings. I encourage you to start reading some music magazines and digging into the album reviews. That's how I learned about great new bands back in the day (now it's even easier, because a lot of the press has gone online, so you don't need to shell out money on actual magazines). Pitchfork is fantastic, Spin is decent, Rolling Stone still has pretty good reviews, even if the articles favor the mainstream.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
              (Keep in mind, I'm 16. Is it wierd I have a stack of old CD's my mom gave to me like Bon Jovi's older albums and The Phantom Of The Opera soundtrack that I listen to all the time on *gasps of horror and confusion* a portable CD player?)
              Also, no, this isn't weird at all. When I was your age, I delved into my parents' record collection and started collecting my own vinyl records. Today, that's totally cool, but 15 years ago, records were still things that people gave away to the thrift store. No one my age wanted anything to do with them unless they were total music geeks. I still collect. I have hundreds now. I can do without CDs, but you can take my vinyl from my cold, dead hands.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
              In Europe, our popular music is just as terrible as yours. It just seems better from over there because only the good stuff leaves (most of which isn't even that big here).
              Last edited by DanieMarie; 14 Jul 2015, 00:03.

Comment

I started my 45 collection in the late 1960's, stopped at the end of the 70's; still have 'em all, and better yet, many still get air time on the radio today.

As for "deep meaning", I've come to the conclusion that it's much healthier for me to repeat over & over "It's my life, and it's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever" than "I can't live if living is without you, can't live, I can't give anymore". The meaning of popular music isn't about the poetic cadence or literary value. It's the attitude it inspires.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  I started my 45 collection in the late 1960's, stopped at the end of the 70's; still have 'em all, and better yet, many still get air time on the radio today.

As for "deep meaning", I've come to the conclusion that it's much healthier for me to repeat over & over "It's my life, and it's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever" than "I can't live if living is without you, can't live, I can't give anymore". The meaning of popular music isn't about the poetic cadence or literary value. It's the attitude it inspires.
                  Exactly. I mean, the Tin Pan Alley lyrics commonly found in vocal jazz standards are usually terrible. No one cared much about lyrics in that genre at that time...it was all about how you could sing or play.

Comment

When I was in school(high school) I was deep into blues(Not soul) The old blues pickers...a lot of Delta blues and for me B. B. King was good,but a little to modern. I did migrate into the electric blues after a while. Then I found meditative stuff like Ravi Shankar,and others,and the poetic music of Dylan and Leonard Cohan..Went deep into my brain cave on Acid as I explored the psychedelic mind trips of the 70's. Was also into Metal starting with Hendrix...Oh and deep funk and stuff with Parliament Funkadelic. Also was a big fan of James Brown,the Stones and the Beatles. VERY hard rock and of course Pink Floyd. These days I am really lucky that being such a LOUD music fan,my hearing is not impaired(What did you say Sonny?)

Used to groove to this Funkadeliic goodie

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

You forgot Ziggy Stardust, Anunitu.

(and The Spiders from Mars)
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

How did I forget David...Damn,he was a unique musical style if ever there was one..Might also mention the Tubes who BTW played the kabuki in SF every friday(Quay Lude anyone?)

Here

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          How did I forget David...Damn,he was a unique musical style if ever there was one..Might also mention the Tubes who BTW played the kabuki in SF every friday(Quay Lude anyone?)

Here
                          Is this him?
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Nope,David as in Ziggy Stardust.

As seen below.

And the spiders.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              Nope,David as in Ziggy Stardust.

As seen below.

Oh, nice....
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Also David doing "Starman"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X