No announcement yet.

Mandatory GMO food labeling by states would be banned under proposed bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mandatory GMO food labeling by states would be banned under proposed bill

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I agree. Reducing waste food is desirable.

Tell us how to do it?

(I empty my refrigerator weekly, and use as much as possible - bones always end up as soup, for example. But what about the producers of food, like grocery stores? What are they to do with unused food? Inquiring minds want to know... No "we should" is meaningful without a "by")
    They tried to pass a bill that would give tax breaks to producers to allow them the financial space to donate the food that doesn't quite make the grade. I assume this would apply to stores too. However, it was completely rewritten.. As in, they changed the title, and took out all of the original text with something completely unrelated (I forget what, but it was something connected to security.. anti terrorism or something). So close, yet.. maybe next time, huh!

The other issue is that stores are scared to pass on food past its sell by date. It's exactly the same here. A well-known bakery used to donate all the unsold sandwiches and pasties to homeless shelters, but this was banned a few years ago by health and safety officials on the grounds that the food could be harmful. So now it is just dumped.

When JP was out of work, I posted about how I'd walk from supermarket to supermarket looking for the 'yellow stickers', that is, food that is slightly damaged, or on the last day of its sell-by date. Several of our US members commented that there is nothing like that in the states. That food remains the same price until it is taken off the shelves. Who in their right mind would pick that pack, when there are packets with a better shelf life for the same price? I'm not saying we're any closer to an answer. We're not far behind the US in terms of food waste, but introducing the yellow label system might at least be a start (although there can be a bit of a rush with lots of elbowing and snatching.. so maybe its a security issue too!).

When I was looking at the mountains of fresh salad greens in the report, I also wondered why it wasn't being donated to zoos. Surely they'd even be willing to collect it, as it would be cheaper than buying the produce. Maybe some is though, because again, this does happen here (and they ask for Christmas trees when they're finished with, because apparently they make great treats for some species). It's not an easy problem to solve, but not impossible. We just need to drastically change our attitude towards food. We're a stubborn race, but our minds do change.. gradually, and with enough encouragement.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      When JP was out of work, I posted about how I'd walk from supermarket to supermarket looking for the 'yellow stickers', that is, food that is slightly damaged, or on the last day of its sell-by date. Several of our US members commented that there is nothing like that in the states. That food remains the same price until it is taken off the shelves. Who in their right mind would pick that pack, when there are packets with a better shelf life for the same price? I'm not saying we're any closer to an answer. We're not far behind the US in terms of food waste, but introducing the yellow label system might at least be a start (although there can be a bit of a rush with lots of elbowing and snatching.. so maybe its a security issue too!).
      It depends on the grocery store here and the food item.

Meat, there is an equivalent at every chain we have in the area. Also, near date bread gets deshelved and resold at dollar stores, as do a number of other products. One chain has a produce clearance bin.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah...

I actually never buy anything unless it has been market down because it is near expiration unless I have to. I can't afford to. Since meat & bread goes in the freezer until needed, it really doesn't matter (I just got a $40 ham for $7. We've been eating off it for a week, and the bone just went in the freezer until I can make pea soup).

But part of my wife's job at Walmart is pulling dated stuff off the shelves. Walmart policy is that all thrown out stuff gets shredded to prevent dumpster diving. I sure wish that food could go to people who need it - it does get sold to a composting company, but still...

In the field, flawed fruit & veggies are sold to various companies that turn it into mashed stuff - catsup, baby food, etc.

But (speaking only from my Walmart experience because I be too po' ta go anywhere else) by the time they take produce off the shelf, it really is not good... unless you like soft tomatoes...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

So some places will mark down over there after all? Maybe I misunderstood (or mis-remembered), the comments in the thread in question; which was on this forum btw.

I couldn't imagine life without my discounted food. Maybe it's a Pagan thing, but I'm with those here who aren't so bothered about use by dates. I buy cheap, use quickly and freeze what I can, otherwise we just use our common sense and check food before we use it. Fruit is the one thing that sometimes ends up wasted, because even without the yellow stickers, satsumas and clementines often come with a complimentary free moldy one here.

Sorry if it's region locked, but the piece I had been referring too is here, for anyone interested;

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            So some places will mark down over there after all? Maybe I misunderstood (or mis-remembered), the comments in the thread in question; which was on this forum btw.
            It just depends where you live. Also, how picky you are of a shopper.

For example, you can always get the store brand cheaper than the name brand, and the dollar store brand for a dollar (often its in a smaller quantity, but sometimes not). Some "dollar" stores, like the chain Deals! which is owned by Dollar Tree, but carries things over a dollar (but still cheap) carry name brands for cheaper, but also carries the Dollar Tree off brand. No produce there though, its all processed foods. But I know people that won't ever buy the store brand...imo, its hit or miss, sometimes better, sometimes no difference, sometimes not. We get all our pasta from the Dollar Tree, rice, sauce, and what little junk food I get for a treat or for *oh crap, roadtrip*.

But in some communities, there's maybe one grocery store...or less. There are areas (both urban and rural) where folks might have to travel over an hour to get groceries, either by public transport (which sucks because they can't carry much) or personal vehicle. When we move, there are four grocery stores in the entire county--one of which is on base and only usable by active duty and retirees.
            Last edited by thalassa; 25 Jul 2015, 13:29.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

There is also Aldi(sp)
              https://www.aldi.us/

Generally generic and they do have produce as wall. Not sure they are in all states.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm willing to try a store brand, and if I like it, I'll keep buying it. I always buy store brand aluminum foil, plastic wrap, garbage bags, aspirin, eye drops, etc., but some things I'm brand-loyal to.

Somewhat related: I'm on an email list from a local poultry farm. They sent out an email telling how they'd lost 80 chickens in a storm because the coop was at too low of an elevation. Then more chit chatty stuff. Then the great deal for the week ..... very low priced chicken parts. LOL
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  I'm brand-loyal to.
                  Peter Pan peanut butter---and you can get 6 lbs in a can for $12 at Wal-mart in their bulk section.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    There is also Aldi(sp)
                    https://www.aldi.us/

Generally generic and they do have produce as wall. Not sure they are in all states.
                    - - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    It just depends where you live. Also, how picky you are of a shopper.
                    We're spoilt up here. We have stores like B&M, and Home Bargains which sell branded goods at a fraction of the supermarket prices. I thought everyone had stores like this until a friend I'd met online came to visit me from Bedford in the south of the country. She was amazed by the prices in these stores. So much so that the next time she visited, she brought an almost empty suitcase and filled it with branded cosmetics, cleaning products and food!

Of course, the downside of the lower cost of living, is lower wages. It doesn't matter that much at a day to day level, but when it comes to the cost of travelling, electrical goods, phone tariffs and other things that aren't determined by geography, you do start to notice the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X