THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Over here, you have to be careful what you take because they always want to know WHY you did something. I have a big problem with taking welfare personally. I come from a well-off family and even though it sucks sponging, a) I think it's wrong to claim welfare when you own an expensive apartment that your parents lent you the money for and your parents earn 6 figures and are willing to help you, and b) welfare cannot possibly give me enough to live off of after stuff like property tax, apartment fees, etc. BUT the issue is that German welfare is comprehensive, and most people claim that if you can't find a job in your field. I have a problem with this as well, because I think we could start putting tax money into stuff like health care and the green energy fees that they're going to start charging us up the ass for if people would just be willing to do something outside their field, but as of now, that's the way it is. If you interview and you worked at McDonalds, they'll be highly skeptical why you did it, as "I needed the money" doesn't seem to compute with them. That is, if you even get an interview, because there's a highly misguided view here that working in fast food means you couldn't get a job anywhere else, so you must be totally incompetent...*sigh*

I actually don't have an issue with fast food or food service, but I wont apply for those jobs because I AM highly incompetent at them. I can't even get past a trial shift waitressing because I drop things when I'm in a hurry. I am going to apply for retail though, because it doesn't really have the same bad rap, there are jobs in it, and its related to what I want to do (albeit distantly).

Comment

Las Vegas is just as bad... One of our front desk supervisors has a degree and experience in cosmetology. A f/d clerk who'd been passed over, time & again, had an MBA.

I get paid considerably more doing the same job I was doing before I got my Associates (in an IT field, and my current job barely touches on anything IT-related) than I did during the two years I worked for an IT department. While I worked in the IT department, the closest thing I did to using my degree was order printer parts. Everyone tells me my degree is pointless anyway - it's all about the certifications you earn. The people in our actual IT department have no clue about anything vaguely computer-related - they're all call-center phone jockeys working in the Philippines.

If I try to get work at any hotel outside of Nevada, I'm told I'm over-qualified & they don't want to risk resources training me just to have me leave for a better offer in 6 months. If I try to work in IT, I'm not qualified enough since I don't have any of the expensive certifications and lack 'real' IT experience since the IT department I worked at wouldn't actual train or utilize me.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I feel like the concept of training is going down the hole, which really sucks. It seems like companies in every country don't want to spend the resources to train you. One of my last jobs, I was an intern, and I was lucky in that I got trained, because I started there shortly before they hired a gajillion more interns. The POINT of an internship is that you take a pay cut in order to get job experience and training (at least here you usually do get paid something, though not enough to live off of or anything too fancy). It's not just something to put on your resume, at least not here. When I started there, we had weekly training meetings to go over the concepts of SEO, and we did training projects, and we moved around and did different jobs within the SEO department so we could get an overall aspect of this. By the time I left, half the interns only knew the one tiny part of SEO that they were told to do, because they moved the training to after work hours, and then cut it all together.

I think we need a job seekers rant thread. I have so much hate on for job hunting in 2012. I remember the good old days, before the recession. All my Vancouver Island friends graduated university in 2006 and got jobs immediately after.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

I think we need a job seekers rant thread.
          Not a bad idea.

My rant.
          Am I the only person who doesn't think Coldplay is heavens sent music? I mean, it's not terrible...but it's not worth the dozens of airtime an hour hat it gets. The same goes for the FloRida whistle song. They should just call it what it is. "Suck ma deek" song. Just saying
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
            Not a bad idea.

My rant.
            Am I the only person who doesn't think Coldplay is heavens sent music? I mean, it's not terrible...but it's not worth the dozens of airtime an hour hat it gets. The same goes for the FloRida whistle song. They should just call it what it is. "Suck ma deek" song. Just saying
            Oh, man! Eisheth, I cannot stand Coldplay.

1) I absolutely hate the song "When I Ruled the World."
            2) All their songs sound the same.

Also, I had to listen to that Whistle song you mentioned since I never heard it. How vulgar. Someone explain to me why it seems no artist can sing about anything other than sex and the acts involved anymore. No more real talent out there?

Comment

Coldplay, to me, sounds like a modernized, cheap U2. I like U2 - they did some groundbreaking stuff back in the day and Coldplay just can't replicate that. Their music isn't horrible to me, it just bores me to tears.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Is elections over with already?! I am getting really f-ing sick and tired of all the stupid robo election survey telephone calls. Whose butt can I put a boot up for all of these stupid surveys?

LEAVE. ME. ALONE!!!!!!

Comment

I googled "Eye of Horus bread recipe" because I read some random idea that the Eye of Horus offered in rituals could allude to a bread recipe. Instead of more ideas of that vein I'm led to some blog where folks believe the Eye of Horus is a shroom, an anus, and that part of the "Battle of Horus and Set" where the two have a tryst is really condoning anal sex. These folks completely ignore the rest of the story from there. I...couldn't even make this up if I tried. Even if I were high I couldn't make this up.

If you want to get high that's your business, not mine. If you want to justify it by distorting myths and show a blatant disregard for religious connotation then I have reservations about that.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                    I googled "Eye of Horus bread recipe" because I read some random idea that the Eye of Horus offered in rituals could allude to a bread recipe. Instead of more ideas of that vein I'm led to some blog where folks believe the Eye of Horus is a shroom, an anus, and that part of the "Battle of Horus and Set" where the two have a tryst is really condoning anal sex. These folks completely ignore the rest of the story from there. I...couldn't even make this up if I tried. Even if I were high I couldn't make this up.
                    you found this nutters crap looking for a recipie? Dude I'm so lost and I'm not even high... seriously, I can't actually afford to...
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Going back to work after your vacation is over is crappy, and I wanna get the hell outta here!

merp...
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Alright, so I know that I work in the Arctic, but...

WHY IS IT COLD OUTSIDE? I'm HOME, it shouldn't be this COLD. It's been hovering around -7C to 0C lately, and damn it, it's October. Why did I think moving to the north was a good idea?

I just went shooting for an hour, and I'm so cold that even my internal organs feel like they're shivering. >

Mostly art.

Comment

Previously on Days of Caelia's Life...

Sunday: dealt with some whiny bitch who thought questioning a source was attacking Christianity

Monday: dealt with someone from my past who thinks I ever needed anything from them when I walked away

Tuesday: dealt with questionable math on an anti-abuse group and was covertly abused for it

Wednesday: dealt with people who thought I was "out-bitching" them when I complained I was tired because everyone kept waking me up for stupid shit

I'm done with this shit the rest of the week. You want to be a drama queen find another kingdom. The position of queen has been filled by me.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

Why would you disable the keyboard of a 745 during POST? WHY???!!!!!

shrug, granted, I actually know why but it annoys me when I can't get to Dell Diag because the keyboard of the pos of a POS system isn't active till after Windows starts. I don't like needing to come back to a machine later just to get the basic diagnostic suite running.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I post a simple 'yes or no' question on a forum, 155 people read my post and not a single one can answer my question? If I don't know an answer, I at least try to look it up. My books have nothing, but surely one of those 155 people had access to the answer even if they don't know it off the top of their head.

Am I the only person who actually wants to participate and be active on that freaking forum? Or are they ignoring me on purpose?
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

People leaving THEIR crap on MY desk. And it's not even parts or something relevant to what I do. It's their dirty mugs, print outs for something they're working on. What the hell? I'm not your maid! Do not come sit in my chair, move my stuff and leave your shit here. My desk is tidy when I leave. I want to be that way when I come back!
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X