Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    My house is worth $30,000 less than when I bought it almost 20 years ago.

I can't even sell it and get out of debt...

...and asking about refinancing just makes the bank laugh.
    Outside of the personal dilemma, that I feel quite miserable over, looking at that sad, F'd up reality in a more general sense has added a bit of heat to my blood.

That is to say, with a market economy that really depends on certain values appreciating, not depreciating, why is there even the possibility of something becoming more worthless? It stands to reason that the lack of appreciation is enough, all by itself, to reflect a depressed economy. Simply put, say x is valued at $100,000, the economy fails, appreciation stops, and time shows that x, still valued at that same $100,000, was not a good investment. But no. That's not how it works. The constant, be it gold, silver, a house, isn't constant at all, simply because of the fluctuation of the meaning represented by a dollar.

If the dollar isn't constant, the things it's supposed to represent, those real commodities, can become entirely valueless. To which, the idea of simplifying the barter system with some agreed upon definition of a chunk of numbers, doesn't work.

"I'll trade you this brand new tractor for some dental work, on my kid."

"Uh. No. How about the new tractor for two pieces of string and a ball of lint?"

"Deal!"

I loathe economics.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Every time I look back on my abusive relationship, I see a whole new reason why it was screwed up. He emotionally abused me to the point that I had a breakdown, and complained that I had become "boring". Well, I was only so "boring" because I was depressed. I was depressed because he made me depressed.
      One of the real kickers comes months after I broke up with him. He called me up, dropped a casual apology, and then asked if I could pay half his rent each month because he was running into financial troubles. I told him no, of course, and he proceeded to make casual conversation like everything should be a-okay now, as if his abusive, controlling, manipulative behavior couldn't have possibly left any scars- the put downs, the guilt trips, the belittling, condescending behavior, the attacks on my identity and autonomy as a human being... naw, couldn't have possibly hurt me at all. After all, he was fulfilling his needs, and it was my place to die inside if that made him happy. I told him never to contact me again. He then tried to guilt trip me one last time. Didn't work. I am happy to say that I am forever done with that psychotic, narcissistic, sociopathic little ass.
      Sorry, I just needed to vent that, and that's the sort of thing this thread is for.

Comment

How horrible..bless you!

Comment

Thanks, Cleo. I appreciate the support

Comment

Believe me, i understand completely..

Comment

So many people are abusive....it's really a shame.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Yes,very disturbing....

Comment

This day is PISSING ME OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandillon View Post
                    This day is PISSING ME OFF.
                    You changed your name!

Mostly art.

Comment

I wanna change MY name, too!

Juni isn't Juni, anymore. Rafe isn't Rafe, anymore. Twisted_Sister isn't Twisted_sister, anymore.

I think I wanna change mine to تشاين!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Juni isn't Juni, anymore.
                        LIES!
                        /10truths
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          LIES!
                          /10truths
                          jeeze, I should change my name too.

I could be "Bob".

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            jeeze, I should change my name too.

I could be "Bob".
                            I just went back to my original name. I had been thinking about doing this for weeks, if not months... Well, I had been thinking about changing my username, anyway. But I couldn't come up with anything that sounded "perfect" so I just went back to Juniper. Most of the older members know me as Juni anyway. It kind of just made sense to go back.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Thank you, Yuni!!!

Another option for me? チェインライトニング

I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                                تشاين!
                                ^Is that a wang?
                                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X