Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    Are there any real reasons not to use a microwave? Just out of curiosity. Like.. does it break down protein different of something?
    Well, being a person that doesn't own a microwave (or a coffee maker, toaster, electric can opener, etc), I can say that I can think of reasons not to own one...but no, there's no valid scientific reasons not to use one (both the hubby and (now) I have jobs where we play with radiation, so...if anyone would be concerned, it would be us). Though, there are a number of less valid claims about microwave ovens out there (one of my favorites, that I see on FB from time to time).

Here's how a microwave works:

Microwaving something doesn't do anything to food that conventional cooking doesn't do (it just does it differently)...and there are actually some advantages, nutritionally speaking:

Several years ago nutritionists raised concerns that the microwaves depleted nutrients in food. If anything, studies have shown the opposite. All cooking methods can destroy vitamins; the extent of the damage depends on the temperature and the length of cooking time. Most research indicates that microwave ovens result in less extreme temperatures and in fact require less time for cooking than stove-top or oven methods. Boiling food is particularly deleterious.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...icrowave-works

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      My vet is out of town, so I have to attempt an iodine wound flush on a large squirmy dog myself.

/cries pitiously
      Has your veterinarian not got any nurses?

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
        Has your veterinarian not got any nurses?
        Well, he's been making house calls. Our dog had double knee surgeries, and one got infected. She freaks out every time we take her to the vet's office, so to minimize the risk of her screwing up her surgeries he comes out to our house. He's a very old fashioned vet

It actually didn't go that bad this morning - when the vet comes out, our dog turns into a greased pig - it takes me & my husband to hold her down so the vet can work. With me doing it she laid there like a sack of potatoes.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I took one of my special needs clients to his preferred Christian Church over the weekend, it was over the top, light show, full rock band, maybe a thousand people in attendance, and I kid you not of the jumbo-tron they played comercials mid mass during their "Tithing". Out of Control

Comment

Agreed to go to a bachelorette party for my coworker's upcoming wedding, but then a few days later she springs on me that it'll cost me $42 to go and that doesn't include drinks. I'm not even getting paid my rightful wage right now, my car will cost $1000 to fix, I have a $900 bill coming due in a week and I have another $3000 bill coming due in a month. >.< Why does everyone think I've made of money?! I can't say I can't go at this point, but.. arrgh

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
              Agreed to go to a bachelorette party for my coworker's upcoming wedding, but then a few days later she springs on me that it'll cost me $42 to go and that doesn't include drinks. I'm not even getting paid my rightful wage right now, my car will cost $1000 to fix, I have a $900 bill coming due in a week and I have another $3000 bill coming due in a month. >.< Why does everyone think I've made of money?! I can't say I can't go at this point, but.. arrgh
              Is that a new 'thing', charging people to attend a party? Wtf is up with that?!
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                Is that a new 'thing', charging people to attend a party? Wtf is up with that?!
                She decided to hire a limo that she couldn't afford so she's breaking the cost up amongst her guests. 0.o Is this an american thing?

Comment

A lot of bridesmaids and party goers chip in for the cost, but it's not really polite to spring it on someone after they've agreed to go. It should be up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                    Why not? The reason you can't go is that you can't afford it.
                    If she doesn't like the sudden cancellation then maybe you should tell her to give this sort of information out before people RSVP.
                    Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Agel View Post
                      Why not? The reason you can't go is that you can't afford it.
                      If she doesn't like the sudden cancellation then maybe you should tell her to give this sort of information out before people RSVP.
                      When you work with someone for over a year, have helped each other get through some of the hardest things imaginable, it's not the easiest thing to become petty over a bachelorette party.

I really hope the bar prices are reasonable. -.- And that my paychecks and retroactive pay gets sorted out this week. >.<

Comment

WHY do people hate on cops so much? I've met a few bad cops, I've met a ton of good ones. You cant judge a whole organization by a few idiots who managed to get a badge. I gotta admit they can be annoying because whenever Motorcyclists ride in groups they will pull you over and ask for id, basically just to slow us down. But, that being said, if we didn't have cops society would collapse in a week. So its a good trade off.
                        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                        sigpic
                        In Days of yore,
                        From Britain's shore
                        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                        And planted firm Britannia's flag
                        On Canada's fair domain.
                        Here may it wave,
                        Our boast, our pride
                        And joined in love together,
                        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I wlild have had to charge put for my hens night, if my maid of honor didnt spring for the whole thing. people just had to pay meals, entries and drinks, which is like a normal night out. We worked this out well in advance of telling anyome though
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                            I wlild have had to charge put for my hens night, if my maid of honor didnt spring for the whole thing. people just had to pay meals, entries and drinks, which is like a normal night out. We worked this out well in advance of telling anyome though
                            Where I used to live, the person who organized and hosted the event would pay for it. That's why I ask, and not all aspects of a cultural norm are obvious from the start. Still, I really wish she had given me notice so I wasn't counting out my pennies. -.- And then I come right back to- if payroll and HR weren't so disorganized, I wouldn't be flipping out right now anyway! Just holding my breath for friday so I can check the status of my paystubs...

happy thoughts happy thoughts *facedesk* happy thoughts....

Comment

Eat dirt, Miss 'I'm experienced, I worked at a restaurant in Long Island, this is easy!' This is my first freaking job, and I've been taking care of the entire floor for two weeks before you showed up. You can hardly once table, and they complained! It's not like it's a big restaurant, or like we have a ton of customers in the summer. Don't throw a fit when the manager tells you to shape up, and then text me after you've quit, telling me to convince him to give you back your job.

GRRRRRR, people!

Comment

Originally posted by Erika View Post
                                Eat dirt, Miss 'I'm experienced, I worked at a restaurant in Long Island, this is easy!' This is my first freaking job, and I've been taking care of the entire floor for two weeks before you showed up. You can hardly once table, and they complained! It's not like it's a big restaurant, or like we have a ton of customers in the summer. Don't throw a fit when the manager tells you to shape up, and then text me after you've quit, telling me to convince him to give you back your job.

GRRRRRR, people!
                                Those who feel a customer service oriented job is super easy are those who aren't doing it properly... I love those types of people... well, you know, watching them. ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X