THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

I swear some people are just born with major dumb luck and then there are people like me who count their lucky stars every day and try to keep positive... and then get blind-sided on occasion when someone younger with fewer credentials/experience/whatever just fall into a fantastic situation. Makes me want to be happy for them and tear my hair out simultaneously.

Although the latter could be a side-effect of the pain I've been in the last 4 days and my fever. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
      Not unless they are wearing insignias, or are actively impersonating an officer or some such. It might technically be against the law, but no one is really interested in upholding it. Besides, I know military people... As far as they are concerned without the branch and unit decorations it is not a uniform. It's just clothing.

Rank patches can go either way from what I gather.
      BDU's (the older style camo) I can see them feeling that way about. However, currently commissioned uniforms, every single solder I've met raises hell when people start mixing ACU's and civilian clothes-especially those who aren't in the military. As for wearing rank patches, those and medals count as stolen valor and the instant you put those on-if you didn't earn them, its a federal offense and a LOT of people start getting pissed about that one.
      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
        BDU's (the older style camo) I can see them feeling that way about. However, currently commissioned uniforms, every single solder I've met raises hell when people start mixing ACU's and civilian clothes-especially those who aren't in the military. As for wearing rank patches, those and medals count as stolen valor and the instant you put those on-if you didn't earn them, its a federal offense and a LOT of people start getting pissed about that one.
        It was a Federal offense. The Stolen Valor Act of 05 was struck down rather harshly in two separate cases and unless a new one has been introduced that can survive court scrutiny. It is still dead. Not to say a lot of people won't get pissy but unless the f***s are actively profiting off their deception or doing something foolish enough to provoke another form of Federal response, they have nothing to fear from a federal agent at this point in time. I'm rather annoyed about the results of those cases but I'm neither sitting on a Federal court nor well versed in the arguments presented to decide the cases in question.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          It was a Federal offense.
          YEah, that crap pissed me off.

BUT...if a person benefits from it somehow, they can at least be prosecuted for fraud.

...and WHY someone would want to mix digi's like that...

Fashion fail.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, the old one got shot down, but the new one that got put into effect in 2013 basically says you can talk all you want, but the instant you put that metal or rank on that you didn't earn its considered fraud.
            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
            sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure those rulings have pissed off a sizable number of the people who've heard them but I've got just slightly more respect for the courts than the legislature or the President and I haven't actually read the rulings in question so I'm gonna be moderately restrained in my reaction till such time as I bother to read the arguments and the rulings.

Good heavens, I'm passing up opportunities to insult public officials. What's the world coming to?

- - - Updated - - -

Yorin, unless I'm misunderstanding, the 2013 variant still requires intent to gain tangible benefit.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                However, currently commissioned uniforms
                That's just it, it's not a uniform unless it has a nametag, branch insignia, and unit decorations. Without those they're just clothing.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

You also have a lot of look-a-like clothing out there as well. Granted some uniform items you just can't pass off as anything but a uniform item. Most of the vets and active people I know really didn't care unless the person was trying to pass themselves off as either a Vet or active duty member. Just wearing the clothes didn't really do anything, sort of the talk didn't match the walk so you knew they were playing. Other times it's sort of like all the college boys who go to the beach and try to pass themselves off as Fighter Pilots and wear the glasses and occasionally a flight jacket. You see them, maybe call them on it in front of their conquest or screw with them.

About the only time I really saw vets and or active duty get pissy was when it was special forces items such as the SEAL trident that a person might get their butt stomped and hauled out. So difficult to earn that you would be challenged if you tried to wear them.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Yup, it's still legal to lie.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I have a few pair of the old camos(pants and a top) I got them at a standdown a few years ago. I like them from time to time because the fabric is much better than what passes for denim these days.Being a Vet,sometimes wearing them freaks some people out because of the bad image people seem to ave about Vietnam Vets.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

FHA is supposed to help poor people, not punish them. Their insurance was fine with us when certain institutions screwed our country in the 2008 housing crisis, but now we're too much of a risk to their profit margins. So now we can't afford the insurance. And we can't afford to move this house to a conventional loan. So we're going to have to move. And, given the current market values, we'll be paying extra for a house that's equivalent to this one. Nutshell: we have to move everything, including around 5,000 books, when it's going to be hell on my back, neck, and shoulders (I still can't afford a doctor to ask about this pain or the weird stuff going on with my eyes). What greedy bastard thought this plan up?

Ok. Today has just been shock. Now I'm bitching. Next phase: kick the problem's ass. Without setting off a panic attack. I don't know if I can do this, but I'm sure I will do it.
                        OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                        The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                        Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

My mom and brother started arguing at 2 or 3 so that woke me up. She threatened to throw his stuff on the lawn and kick him out if he didn't stop this behavior. He said he'd screw all the doors & windows shut then set the house on fire. I didn't get out of bed for the sole reasons that I didn't want the possibility of an assault charge or put any more medical bills on us.
                          Circe

Comment

^^ How old is this brother?
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                              ^^ How old is this brother?
                              He's 22. ....../10char
                              Circe

Comment

Old enough to be introduced to law regarding criminal threatening...

Comment

Working...
                                X