THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

I wish people would learn to know when it is appropriate to help someone else... or, at least, warn that person that they are going to help.

I drill foundation piers for new construction, for a living.

Today, when I arrived at the job-site, I was pulling a trailer that had the augers that I was going to need for the job.

The auger that the I needed for the first holes that the customer wanted to drill, was in the middle of the trailer.

I was rearranging augers on the trailer, so that I could get to the needed auger. I grabbed one of the augers that I needed to move (in hind sight, I am thankful that it was the last auger that I needed to move).. the auger in question weighs about 300lbs... so, as a result, my muscles were primed to pickup and shift a really heavy object... ie I was putting a LOT of strength into it... just as I got it off the deck, and started to move it over, another man grabbed and helped to pull it laterally... adding unexpected momentum to this massive piece of steel. As a result, it was propelled toward the front guard rail of the trailer MUCH faster than I expected... and my left hand was in between the two. Thankfully, I was able to yank my hand out of the way fast enough that only the very last joint of my pinky was crushed... BUT DAMMIT, WTF DUDE?

I haven't wanted to punch someone so bad in a very long time.

I know he was just trying to help... but his "help" was pointless... the hard part was picking the damn thing up... and I had that handled... adding extra assistance to it's lateral movement had ALL KINDS of opportunities to cause injury... it could have caused me to drop the auger on my foot, it could have caused me to twist my back, it could have (and did) SMASHED THE SHIT OUT OF MY FINGER...

Look, I know that you feel bad that you didn't get there in time to help when you think you should have... but sometimes, helping belatedly is more dangerous than just staying away. A) I usually have to handle these augers by myself... I am used to it, and know how to do it. B) You ARE NOT familiar with the unexpected ways that these extremely heavy hunks of spiraled steel can behave when moved... perhaps you should stay the hell away.

Thanks for your help... but piss off.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

First thought when clicking into this thread...PENIS!
      not
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So the first post I saw when I came back to this thread was all PENIS and as I am scrolling up, the next thing my eyes light on is the picture of the purple finger, and then the last thing were the words I drill piers underneath the picture ...but I didn't actually see piers. I saw I DRILL PENIS.

And now I have certain imagery in my mind that cannot be unseen. o.O

Comment

43,000 hectares are burning right now, and it is raining ash from the sky. Welcome to summer.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
            So the first post I saw when I came back to this thread was all PENIS and as I am scrolling up, the next thing my eyes light on is the picture of the purple finger, and then the last thing were the words I drill piers underneath the picture ...but I didn't actually see piers. I saw I DRILL PENIS.

And, with that, I think that I can safely say that I have won the internet. Go home everyone, there is nothing to see here.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry that my broken finger has, inadvertently offended your sensibilities by looking like a penis.

I promise that, I never considered, between the swinging auger and the extreme swelling, that my finger looked like an offensive male sex organ.

I retract everything I've said about my broken finger, and apologize for my idiocy.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry... the more I think about this, the madder I get.

What if someone had an injury that,for whatever reason, made you think of a vagina?

Would "And now I have certain imagery in my mind that cannot be unseen. o.O" be an acceptable comment?

My finger is FUCKING BROKEN!!!!!

It is my pinky finger, not my penis... WHY ARE YOU OFFENDED?!

Comment

Not offended at all. Nor did I ever say I was.

The first post I saw was Medusa's post with penis all in caps, and then everything that my eyes lit on from there as I scrolled upward was all PENIS.

The imagery that developed (I have a quirky and overactive imagination) involved a woman with snakes on her head chasing a viking around with a hand drill shaped like a penis. Rainbows, Greek heroes, claymation and an owl may have figured in there, too. Such imagery cannot be unseen.

Comment

Not offended at all. Nor did I ever say I was.
                I'll try to refrain from pointing out that you implied exactly that.

And I fail...

Why would one want to "unsee" something that wasn't offensive?

Comment

And there is actual partially sensible association for all of that.

The word Medusa from Medusa's post --> woman with snakes for hair
                  The word ThorsSon from your post --> viking
                  The word PENIS from Medusa's post
                  The words drill and piers (inadvertently seen as "penis" because of previous post) from your post --> penis shaped drill
                  And from there ....

viking --> Bifrost --> rainbows
                  medusa --> gorgon --> greek heroes --> Clash of the Titans --> claymation and owls

Yes, that is how my mind can work. No, nothing perverse happened in the imagery.

Comment

Holy cheese, Thor, I'm so sorry about your finger. That looks painful. Heal up soon <3

Comment

Yes, that is how my mind can work. No, nothing perverse happened in the imagery.
                      Then, why did you say, "And now I have certain imagery in my mind that cannot be unseen. o.O?"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post

And I fail...

I never said I wanted to unsee it. It was and is merely a statement of fact. Imagery once seen cannot be unseen. The "o.O" is a face I make when I am trying to make sense of the rather active imagery that is produced, and then fail doing so.

At no point was I making any sort of commentary upon your broken finger. If anything, I was making commentary upon Medusa's post that made my brain go on some sort of half-cocked penis-acid-trip. Puns intended.

Comment

And I fail...

Stop. Put the drink down and step away from the computer.

I assumed she was giving you a compliment. Like I was. I was sad I saw no penis when I clicked the thread. My hopes were dashed.

Now. Shoo you. night night.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Holy cats, man! ThorsSon! Relax!

Take care of your damned finger, calm down, and stop assuming you know that whatever imagery people inadvertantly possess is directly related to an attack on your manhood. I mean wow. A simple visual, trick of the eye, and the mind's bewildering registry of words and meanings, and ocular reception in the mind's visualizations, suddenly correlates to being offended. Just... wow.

Yeah. Tend to your finger and smack the stupid out of that 'help' that broke it. Like, "warn me if you're going to jump in and throw me off balance, like that! Dayum!"

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3206[/ATTACH]I wish people would learn to know when it is appropriate to help someone else... or, at least, warn that person that they are going to help.

I drill foundation piers for new construction, for a living.

Today, when I arrived at the job-site, I was pulling a trailer that had the augers that I was going to need for the job.

The auger that the I needed for the first holes that the customer wanted to drill, was in the middle of the trailer.

I was rearranging augers on the trailer, so that I could get to the needed auger. I grabbed one of the augers that I needed to move (in hind sight, I am thankful that it was the last auger that I needed to move).. the auger in question weighs about 300lbs... so, as a result, my muscles were primed to pickup and shift a really heavy object... ie I was putting a LOT of strength into it... just as I got it off the deck, and started to move it over, another man grabbed and helped to pull it laterally... adding unexpected momentum to this massive piece of steel. As a result, it was propelled toward the front guard rail of the trailer MUCH faster than I expected... and my left hand was in between the two. Thankfully, I was able to yank my hand out of the way fast enough that only the very last joint of my pinky was crushed... BUT DAMMIT, WTF DUDE?

I haven't wanted to punch someone so bad in a very long time.

I know he was just trying to help... but his "help" was pointless... the hard part was picking the damn thing up... and I had that handled... adding extra assistance to it's lateral movement had ALL KINDS of opportunities to cause injury... it could have caused me to drop the auger on my foot, it could have caused me to twist my back, it could have (and did) SMASHED THE SHIT OUT OF MY FINGER...

Look, I know that you feel bad that you didn't get there in time to help when you think you should have... but sometimes, helping belatedly is more dangerous than just staying away. A) I usually have to handle these augers by myself... I am used to it, and know how to do it. B) You ARE NOT familiar with the unexpected ways that these extremely heavy hunks of spiraled steel can behave when moved... perhaps you should stay the hell away.

Thanks for your help... but piss off.
                              I'm sorry about your finger, Thorson. Listen, it's good that only the finger is hurt and nothing else. You must take care of it. I dunno... Visit a doctor, treating it with medication...
                              But you certainly must do something about it.
                              I hope it heals soon. Best of luck, bro.
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

After all that, I'm disappointed there isn't a picture of a penis in this thread.

(Hi guys, trust me to return and immediately say something dirty)

Comment

Working...
                                X