THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Okay, the next ableist sh*thead that tells me that I'm "imagining things" because my experience of being disabled doesn't match their prejudices, start offering unsolicited - and utterly useless - advice based on aforementioned prejudices, tells me I "brave" or "inspirational", or start spouting about how I "must be faking everything because I obviously don't behave like a "proper" disabled person" is going to end up with something broken. The world is hereby warned.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
      Okay, the next ableist sh*thead that tells me that I'm "imagining things" because my experience of being disabled doesn't match their prejudices, start offering unsolicited - and utterly useless - advice based on aforementioned prejudices, tells me I "brave" or "inspirational", or start spouting about how I "must be faking everything because I obviously don't behave like a "proper" disabled person" is going to end up with something broken. The world is hereby warned.
      Um... :wtf: is a "proper disabled person?" :wth:

Comment

I got a letter in the mail stating they stopped my Cal Fresh until I can return a completely filled out quarterly report. I did send it in. And they sent it back circling I had to show proof I quit a job.

How do I do that?

Ship them the middle finger I used to quit with?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
          Um... :wtf: is a "proper disabled person?" :wth:

A euphemism that is used to belittle others, like myself, that don't have the caricaturization of a text-book disease, ailment or injury, that is by all accounts the equivalent of a quadriplegic. It fits in with several other disparaging statements:
          "You're not disabled."
          "You're just faking."
          "It's all in your head."
          "You lazy ****! You're just trying to get a free ride."

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            A euphemism that is used to belittle others, like myself, that don't have the caricaturization of a text-book disease, ailment or injury, that is by all accounts the equivalent of a quadriplegic. It fits in with several other disparaging statements:
            "You're not disabled."
            "You're just faking."
            "It's all in your head."
            My niece gets hit with most of those as she has a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) that causes seizures and such but no visible deformities. Yet for me I have no visible surface injuries but spinal and nerve injuries from my time in the service and no one even thinks about saying anything like that to me. Always seems one type of injury is acceptable if it occurred from service to your country whether it be military, fire and rescue, etc yet other is how dare you even claim it.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              "You're not disabled."
              "You're just faking."
              "It's all in your head."
              What Chain said. My disability isn't visible much of the time. I have Chronic Arthritis and Osteoarthritis as a result, but most of the time you can't tell by looking. Some days I walk funny, one of the worst attacked joint is my hip and knee, but mostly it's utterly invisible. And since I am young (33) and otherwise healthy looking I must be a fake.

monso it's funny, I never really thought about what you said but yeah. I've got a friend who's ex-army, he has TBI with symptoms similar to those of your niece in fact, and no one ever really seems to question his disability though it is as invisible as mine. O.o

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Gods, yes, there's another rant.

Identical problems but different reception.

"Whoa. You got that from an accident during your tour in Afghanistan?" = real
                "Oh, you got yours from an accident commuting to work at McDonald's?" = bullshit

I think that echoes the new "popular disbelief" of civilian PTSD. Which renews my dislike for what's "popular". And for humans, in general, really.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I hate you camp chair. Sure, you are old, and cheap. Sure you gave great service for longer than expected. But you picked TODAY to break. While I am in you. So that I feel like a horribly bloated grossly overweight creature that breaks chairs. Couldn't you have picked next week, when my hormones aren't going crazy and I would feel far less perturbed by the whole experience? Mean ass chair.

Comment

One more thing on the "Proper disabled person" thing and then I'll shut up.

To be recognised as a "proper disabled person" by society this individual must accept that their disability is the whole of their identity they cannot possess any character trait or identifier outside their identity as disabled person. If such an individual attempts to express traits or identifiers that cannot be referred to their disability then they can not be recognised as disabled and society does not need to accommodate them in any fashion.

They must also accept that they can only assume one of the following roles in society and still be recognised as disabled.
                    Category 1 - Supercripple. This is an individual that is no longer handicapped by their disability, e.g. a person with spinal cord injury who has learned to walk again. These people are generally no longer seen as disabled since society no longer needs to offer special accommodations, therefore they can freely assume a non-disabled identity.
                    Category 2 - Pity Case aka I-can-make-myself-feel-better-by-doing-something-for-you-but-you-have-to-be-properly-grateful. These are disabled people who can be presented as charity cases or inspirational cases to able-bodied people, either as someone they can do something for, generally less than the bare minimum, to make them feel good about themselves, or as someone they can point at and say "see someone has it worse than you. If she can do it with all stacked against her surely you can do it too" to each other. To fit in to this category the person must never complain about receiving less than bare minimum or being pointed at.
                    Category 3 - Dangerous Delinquent. Born from the idea that if your body and/or mind isn't "healthy", that is "normal", then your identity must be damaged as well, making you violent and dangerous to society. (See recent examples to try and present everyone diagnosed with Autistic Disorders as violent and dangerous). These people must be locked up for the greater good of society, i.e. "normal" people. If a disabled person tries to claim traits or identifiers outside their disability they are sometimes relegated to this category, otherwise see below.

Finally trying to assume as identity as a "person with a disability", i.e. someone who have traits and identifiers not related to the disability will immediately be told that they aren't disabled at all, since they have the audacity to claim a non-validated identity for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                      One more thing on the "Proper disabled person" thing and then I'll shut up.

To be recognised as a "proper disabled person" by society this individual must accept that their disability is the whole of their identity they cannot possess any character trait or identifier outside their identity as disabled person. If such an individual attempts to express traits or identifiers that cannot be referred to their disability then they can not be recognised as disabled and society does not need to accommodate them in any fashion.

I'm only quoting one to keep my response on track, but I did read everyone's responses. It really all sums up to the same thing for me: people suck.

- - - Updated - - -

My 5-year-old laptop is finally kicking the bucket.

Comment

Im going through the VA disability process right now. Quite harrowing

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                          Im going through the VA disability process right now. Quite harrowing

Been there and done that. On took a few years to get it all done.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Given that I am now a homeless veteran the process is expedited to only 4-6 months.

Homelessness pays off.

Comment

I payed good money for this answer key to accompany my Algebra I textbook, you'd think that the text would cover all of the answers to the questions. Nope. Just some of 'em. Goddamn annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                                I payed good money for this answer key to accompany my Algebra I textbook, you'd think that the text would cover all of the answers to the questions. Nope. Just some of 'em. Goddamn annoying.
                                not answers... but maybe will help: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra
                                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Working...
                                X