Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Translation is taking freaking FOREVER. The question is, do I charge for longer hours than I quoted (I feel terrible doing this, because I already had to go beyond my initial quote last week...I was up front about it, but its taking me even longer than my extended estimate), or do I just suck up the extra few hours? The latter SUCKS, but the former will probably really piss off my client.

Arg I wish that I'd just given some overblown figure like 20 hours or something like that. Then they'd be happy that it's probably taking me 15. I said 12, for the record. It just took me longer because it was all in a stupid excel sheet and I went by the number of lines and apparent length of the text in those lines, but a) some of those cells actually had multiple lines, which weren't visible during an initial run-through, b) there are lots and lots and lots of specialty words I've had to look up, i.e. figures of speech that no one I know uses, medieval weapons, etc, and b) some of the text is just flat-out weirdly written.
    I know of translators that go by word count. So the longer the translated text is the more you get paid.
    [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

I know of translators that go by word count. So the longer the translated text is the more you get paid.
      Alhamdulilah! D!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'd suck up the extra time this time. It will look better on you to have not gone over too much. Next time, add in an extra couple hours in your estimate, and it will look better on you to come in under.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          Most here go by line. I usually write and proofread, not translate, so I am paid per hour or per project. This client was referred to me by another client, for whom I do a mixed bag of services including writing, proofreading, and translating. I wasn't sure what said existing client told him, so I offered him the same rate. I usually prefer hourly anyway, because if the text is harder and takes me longer, that usually lets me charge more. When I'm not a total idiot and am completely off on how long it will take (usually, I'm not).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I'd suck up the extra time this time. It will look better on you to have not gone over too much. Next time, add in an extra couple hours in your estimate, and it will look better on you to come in under.
          Yeah I think that's the route I'm going to go. I usually do add a couple of extra hours to my time, but this time around, I GROSSLY underestimated how long it would take me. Ugh. It is my fault, though. So I should suck it up. Still, sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

Yeah I think that's the route I'm going to go. I usually do add a couple of extra hours to my time, but this time around, I GROSSLY underestimated how long it would take me. Ugh. It is my fault, though. So I should suck it up. Still, sucks.
            Goodness knows I feel your pain here.

I get paid for a 40 hour week either way, but I hate it when I underestimate how long something takes...it throws me off track for all the things I need to get done.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Also, you know how I said it was more like 15 hours? NOPE!

WHY IS THIS TAKING ME SO LONG?????

Comment

This comes up on fb:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140909_213137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	352582

I ask for a source and get this:

Name:	ForumRunner_20140909_213150.jpg
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	352583

Still waiting for a source haha...

Name:	ForumRunner_20140909_213435.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	352584

Some people are idiots though. This is a rant because people are idiots. How can you expect people to take this seriously? Give me a god damn sauce!!!!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  This comes up on fb:

[ATTACH]3441[/ATTACH]

I ask for a source and get this:

[ATTACH]3442[/ATTACH]

Still waiting for a source haha...

[ATTACH]3443[/ATTACH]

Some people are idiots though. This is a rant because people are idiots. How can you expect people to take this seriously? Give me a god damn sauce!!!!
                  Whooo, Heka! Those are way too small to read. You're reminding me how bad my eyesight is.

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
                    Whooo, Heka! Those are way too small to read. You're reminding me how bad my eyesight is.
                    Not just too small but if you zoom in they get too blurry and pixelated to read, too.

I feel I'm missing something really good, now.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I'm not used to having a bank account. I can't for the life of me remember my pin. My dad knows it so I'll just get it from him later.
                      Circe

Comment

So, I sold my old bike yesterday, and I got a text message that it got stolen over the night. I feel terrible, because I sold them the lock as well (it was a combination lock that you could change the combination on...we reset it and they set their own combination, or I hope they did, anyway). I guess it wasn't all that secure of a lock, but honestly, I used that lock for over 7 years and nothing happened, and my building didn't have a door to the courtyard (where I kept it) for over a year.

I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one on me, because it doesn't seem like they're asking me for anything other than sympathy. I just feel really bad for them. I wish there was more I could do.

I don't have the original receipt, unfortunately, which would be helpful because that would be the official documentation for it. I lost everything like that years ago, probably in a moving frenzy, or perhaps in a 22-year-old "I don't need this" purge (when you're 22, none of that stuff seems important). I did offer to send them a receipt though. I bought it new and therefore I can attest that it was never stolen before, so I'm willing to put myself forward as the previous owner if they decide to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Not just too small but if you zoom in they get too blurry and pixelated to read, too.

I feel I'm missing something really good, now.
                          Screenshot on my phone. Sorry dudes.

It was about how all pagan cultures can be traced back to Australia.

Like, what the actual f***?

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Seriously? That just leaves me scratching my head. Where would anyone get an idea like that?

Comment

This makes like 0% sense. Maybe he meant Africa? I mean it's still probably wrong but it's more correct.
                              Circe

Comment

Got charged for a service that I didn't receive on a card that is no longer activated. This will be a fun phone-call tomorrow. Hopefully this is one fire that won't be such a headache to put out.

I'm really not in the mood to be playing gospa nice girl anymore with this bs.

Comment

Working...
                                X