Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I actually suggested this, but he's worried it'll just turn us into friendly roommates. But really...I'm grumpy cuz I don't have my own space, he's grumpy cuz he doesn't have his own space. I thought it was the perfect solution, but he doesn't like it.
    'Friendly roommates?' Hell, it worked for me! I love having my own room, even though neither of us sleep very well when the other person isn't around because we're both bears and we like to hibernate together in a big pile. However I still have my room upstairs filled with my massage table, my closet, and my altar and it's MY SPACE. It's mine. All mine. And it's not that he's not allowed in there, he just respects my space and how much it means to me to be able to maintain it.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Relationships take compromise and your Artemis heart needs room to grow independently of him. Besides, it's not like you're going to start bringing randoms into the house -- the shared bedroom is not a staple of a healthy relationship (I know it's silly to reference something so old, but look at Lucy and Ricky Ricardo! They had their own beds in the same room -- I know it was for modesty at the time but even as a little kid I thought the idea was awesome). There are lots of avenues to explore so that you, my dear dear Centaur Sagittarius, don't feel like you've been fenced in. Separate beds in the same room? Give it a whirl. Separate bedrooms altogether? GREAT IDEA. You guys will probably be more drawn together after you both acknowledge that you deserve space and alone time and recognize that both of you are completely sovereign beings.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
      'Friendly roommates?' Hell, it worked for me! I love having my own room, even though neither of us sleep very well when the other person isn't around because we're both bears and we like to hibernate together in a big pile. However I still have my room upstairs filled with my massage table, my closet, and my altar and it's MY SPACE. It's mine. All mine. And it's not that he's not allowed in there, he just respects my space and how much it means to me to be able to maintain it.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Relationships take compromise and your Artemis heart needs room to grow independently of him. Besides, it's not like you're going to start bringing randoms into the house -- the shared bedroom is not a staple of a healthy relationship (I know it's silly to reference something so old, but look at Lucy and Ricky Ricardo! They had their own beds in the same room -- I know it was for modesty at the time but even as a little kid I thought the idea was awesome). There are lots of avenues to explore so that you, my dear dear Centaur Sagittarius, don't feel like you've been fenced in. Separate beds in the same room? Give it a whirl. Separate bedrooms altogether? GREAT IDEA. You guys will probably be more drawn together after you both acknowledge that you deserve space and alone time and recognize that both of you are completely sovereign beings.
      I think that might depend on the type of relationship all parties involved are hoping for. In a lot of marriages, you aren't a sovereign being anymore. You are part of something else and sometimes that means giving in, giving stuff up and changing for the benefit of the relationship. That's certainly not the only kind of healthy relationship, by any means, but it might be the kind someone is looking for .... BUT that's probably a discussion for a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Lol... I guess I so sleep with pets--they go by Chickadee and Sharkbait!

As far as the other...a bigger bed should definately go on the "to do" list!! (In our house, I vote for a California king...the hubby and I have the same problem as you, but in a queen, and then add two children the size of labrador retrievers...okay, maybe not that big)
        We're planning on getting a King bed soon - considering we end up with the boy-child in our bed halfway through the night about 50% of the time, and a girl-child who attempts to join as well, there just isn't enough room to make everyone happy.

Comment

These are all great ideas, guys. BUT...we are sharing a house with a roommate who owns the place, and 90% of everything in it. Our bedroom is maybe 8x10 feet? ...it fits a double bed with four feet on one side, and maybe 3 feet on the end of the bed, and the other side is against a wall. He has a desk with his desktop computer, and has lent me a bookshelf that has to hold everything I want out (that used to be in an entire house - random papers, art stuff, altar, books, etc) ...and then our closet is small. Neither of us has even dresser drawers for clothing.

A queen size just wouldn't fit. ...and the spare room in the house is just big enough for my new roommate's bowflex and painting supplies, with a few things I own shoved in a corner.

With rent for a two bedroom apartment costing $2000+ here before utilities, moving out will be unlikely, especially since he hasn't decided if he's just staying here for the winter, or longer. Everything we both own is stored under the house in an unheated crawl space, or in the garage (also unheated). So everything we own that can't freeze lives in the house.

So really, I'm just ranting. There isn't really a solution to anything except time. I gave away over half my stuff to move here, and somehow, there still isn't room for 3/4 of the stuff I did bring.

I want instant gratification! I want everything to work splendidly, or not at all. Moderation is for the weak! I want my cat to stop being a dick to me!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            These are all great ideas, guys. BUT...we are sharing a house with a roommate who owns the place, and 90% of everything in it. Our bedroom is maybe 8x10 feet? ...it fits a double bed with four feet on one side, and maybe 3 feet on the end of the bed, and the other side is against a wall. He has a desk with his desktop computer, and has lent me a bookshelf that has to hold everything I want out (that used to be in an entire house - random papers, art stuff, altar, books, etc) ...and then our closet is small. Neither of us has even dresser drawers for clothing.

A queen size just wouldn't fit. ...and the spare room in the house is just big enough for my new roommate's bowflex and painting supplies, with a few things I own shoved in a corner.

With rent for a two bedroom apartment costing $2000+ here before utilities, moving out will be unlikely, especially since he hasn't decided if he's just staying here for the winter, or longer. Everything we both own is stored under the house in an unheated crawl space, or in the garage (also unheated). So everything we own that can't freeze lives in the house.

So really, I'm just ranting. There isn't really a solution to anything except time. I gave away over half my stuff to move here, and somehow, there still isn't room for 3/4 of the stuff I did bring.

I want instant gratification! I want everything to work splendidly, or not at all. Moderation is for the weak! I want my cat to stop being a dick to me!
            Well that explains it. It's the dead of freezing winter and you are suddenly sharing a tiny space with someone. Claustrophobia was bound to happen.

I know its stressful...I can tell you about when my hub moved in with me...into a little trailer in the dead of winter and suddenly he was unemployed. By the gods, it amazing either of us survived. But we did. It gets better, and alas time is the only thing that will fix it.

For now, I recommend booze.

Comment

Seriously? Thanks family. Apparently because I like to mix my almond tequila with my hot chocolate every now and then, I'm on my way to becoming an alcoholic. This coming from the uncles that have their own brewing system for beer and have for about 5 years now, and spend quite a bit more money still on alcohol.

Tell me, how the hell is it different from someone sitting down for the occasional rum and coke? But because I use hot chocolate-I'm becoming an alcoholic -___- Thanks. It's not like I'm sitting down every hour for one, or pouring half a bottle into it at a time, or going through 5 or 6 bottles a week and unable to function without it.

Seriously, what. the. hell. -____-
              Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
              sigpic

Comment

I like to put some bailey's in my hot cocoa from time to time, especially when it's really cold outside. As long as you're not doing it like every day, or multiple times a day, in excess, I don't see why they are being shitty about it.

My rant is this: My ankle is the size of a basketball. The swelling won't go down and the doctor here won't see me. The other one doesn't know what CP is. FML.
                It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                  I like to put some bailey's in my hot cocoa from time to time, especially when it's really cold outside. As long as you're not doing it like every day, or multiple times a day, in excess, I don't see why they are being shitty about it..
                  I'm not sure either, unless they're just being their usual smartass selves and not bothering to point out that they ARE joking and not just saying it to be assholes. And this is the first time in a month or so that I've bothered adding anything to my hot chocolate. Granted, I drink a lot of hot coco, but not always with tequila lol
                  Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                  Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                  sigpic

Comment

I feel like I have spent the last six years of my life looking for shoes. I have really fat ankles but my feet aren't long enough to make up how wide they are, and so they just don't freaking make shoes for me, and I have no idea how to deal with this. I've just worn flip-flops year round for years, but now with plantar fasciitis, I'm forced to find shoes that have arch support, which wouldn't be so bad, but I can't freaking reach my feet anymore!! I won't be able to tie my tennis shoes until after this baby is born!

So today, I did what I always end up doing: I stood around at the shoe store, trying on everything that's not high heels, failed to get my feet into ANYTHING, then turned around and found some ugly, heavy men's shoes that only kinda fit, and took them home even though I hated them.

It's depressing as hell.

Comment

Someone is trying really hard to ruin my evening of joy and bliss of gaming on a new monitor and it's pissing me off so... STOP IT!

PS: not actually directed at anybody on the forum... or anybody on the internet, for that matter. However, if for some reason anyone here does feel like I'm talking to/about them... then stop it!
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                        I feel like I have spent the last six years of my life looking for shoes. I have really fat ankles but my feet aren't long enough to make up how wide they are, and so they just don't freaking make shoes for me, and I have no idea how to deal with this. I've just worn flip-flops year round for years, but now with plantar fasciitis, I'm forced to find shoes that have arch support, which wouldn't be so bad, but I can't freaking reach my feet anymore!! I won't be able to tie my tennis shoes until after this baby is born!

So today, I did what I always end up doing: I stood around at the shoe store, trying on everything that's not high heels, failed to get my feet into ANYTHING, then turned around and found some ugly, heavy men's shoes that only kinda fit, and took them home even though I hated them.

It's depressing as hell.
                        I have the feet thing as well. I can't wear heels or flat shoes. But...the foot doc was fine with flip flops with like a 2 inch wedge all around. They are super spongee.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It's depressing as hell.
                          clearly, I'm not pregnant, and, thus, can't fully appreciate your rant... but...

I wear a size 13B shoe. I have worn the same size shoe since I was in the 6th grade (11-12 yrs old).

In the US, in men's shoe sizes, the average width is a D. If you see a men's shoe with no letter designation, it is a D width. 99% of shoes on store shelves are D's.

Big and Tall stores often have DD, E, EE, and EEE widths... but B is damn near impossible to find... especially in size 13.

Long and narrow feet are something that shoe-makers seem to deem unworthy of their time.
                          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

It's depressing as hell.
                            We have a place here called Red Wing. It's a shoe store. You go in, they measure your feet, determine what sort of support you need, etc and make shoes that fit. And from all accounts they last forever. It's not cheap though, about $100 for a pair of shoes, sometimes as much as $300 (but I've only heard of that for special boots) Most the people I know go there to get work boots, but they said they also make tennis shoes, etc. You might check for a place like that around where you're at.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                              We have a place here called Red Wing. It's a shoe store. You go in, they measure your feet, determine what sort of support you need, etc and make shoes that fit. And from all accounts they last forever. It's not cheap though, about $100 for a pair of shoes, sometimes as much as $300 (but I've only heard of that for special boots) Most the people I know go there to get work boots, but they said they also make tennis shoes, etc. You might check for a place like that around where you're at.
                              Should check out their factory in Red Wing, MN sometime. Those folks are seriously into feet.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                                clearly, I'm not pregnant, and, thus, can't fully appreciate your rant... but...

I wear a size 13B shoe. I have worn the same size shoe since I was in the 6th grade (11-12 yrs old).

In the US, in men's shoe sizes, the average width is a D. If you see a men's shoe with no letter designation, it is a D width. 99% of shoes on store shelves are D's.

Big and Tall stores often have DD, E, EE, and EEE widths... but B is damn near impossible to find... especially in size 13.

Long and narrow feet are something that shoe-makers seem to deem unworthy of their time.
                                My husband wears size 16, apparently that is the wrong size for shoes, buying him shoes requires the internet and a pike of money for buying and returning.... We can't even usually find him socks that fit...

People who make shoes, (and frankly clothing in general,) seem to be unaware that everyone is not built to fit within a specific size category or shape... friggin clothing people....
                                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X