THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Backup = pen & paper. For digital photos, I keep them on the memory cards, on my pc, on an external hard drive, and on a cloud site.

My rant for the day is - I guess glaucoma wasn't enough, now cataracts are moving in. Yeah boy.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I should back up. But I have posted all my pics to Picasa in 'the cloud'. So there's that. Oh I also save all my important stuff by emailing it to my gmail.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

On more than one occasion I reformatted my computer(s) without backing up, on purpose. I like the clean slate feeling.

Things I don't want to lose (pictures, important documents, music and pf backups) are kept on an external drive.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I guess my point was, most of us back up the important stuff that's either sentimental or that takes up a lot of work. But we don't really back up the mundane things that have a high turnover and that we'll never look at again once it's done. I mean, I write so many of these a week that if I saved all of them, my hard drive would be FULL of them. And it would just be wasted space because once it's gone, it's gone. I don't think about it, use it, or need it. A lot of my work is that mundane sort of stuff. It would suck if I'd have lost it because it would take me an hour or two to redo it, but it's not like it was an article that took me a week of research, writing, and revising.

Comment

My tv provider, Dish network, just dropped CNN and a bunch of other stuff because of contract problems with Turner. Will I be credited for said missing channels? If I want to go all Jersey on them, I will. I'm gonna sleep on it.
            sigpic

Comment

This Hawk is why I hate Cable,all the crap when they drop a station I like. I am thinking about dumping cable for netflix,or what ever streaming thing pops up. HBO is going online now,so it seems like a trend. also a network broadcast station is also talking about going online. If they broadcast online with commercials like they used to do from a tower,it might put the screws to cables monopoly.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                This Hawk is why I hate Cable,all the crap when they drop a station I like. I am thinking about dumping cable for netflix,or what ever streaming thing pops up. HBO is going online now,so it seems like a trend. also a network broadcast station is also talking about going online. If they broadcast online with commercials like they used to do from a tower,it might put the screws to cables monopoly.
                It's good that you've got choices! We only have Austar here, where you pay top dollar to watch a whole channel dedicated to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' reruns! We don't have Netflix in Australia, but I have heard there are ways around the block.

Tbh, I'm too busy playing Hearthstone poorly to be worried about TV, though.

Comment

Double post but.. It bugs me how everyone is a photographer in their spare time. I have seen some truly AWFUL portraits posted on Facebook. I cannot believe people are charging for it. For shame. I blame iPhones.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    Double post but.. It bugs me how everyone is a photographer in their spare time. I have seen some truly AWFUL portraits posted on Facebook. I cannot believe people are charging for it. For shame. I blame iPhones.
                    I know, right? It seems like almost every other mom I know has become a "professional" photographer. It seems like they just got snap happy taking pics of their kids, got some fancy cameras, then decided to go into business.

There are various ways to get into photography. One of my other friends studied it, another did various internships and apprenticeships (she's fantastic, btw), and I have a couple of other talented friends who just seem to have a great eye...but for most people, it's not really something you can just start doing. It's like any other art form. Getting good involves years of training and/or loads of practice.

Comment

The only reason I have Dish is they have both horse racing channels. The local cable co. offers neither, and the other satellite co., only one. I can't get the channels live streamed because it's not allowed in my state, and my tv isn't internet-ready anyway. A couple of tracks have direct live video but that's not much.

The photography thing - Oh Yeah. So many of my fb friends have a page "Joe Schmoe Photography" now it's disgusting. I'm glad I got into photography in the 70's, and pretty much out now.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        but for most people, it's not really something you can just start doing. It's like any other art form. Getting good involves years of training and/or loads of practice.
                        If they're making an income off it they are a professional photographer, artistic talent is not the most important thing in that regard. What really matters is business acumen, the product is only as good as the pitch.

Luck matters as well, all the photography training and practice in the world isn't going to put you in the right place at the right time. When that happens, all that really matters is basic competency and good timing.

Anyone with a camera is a photographer, anyone with business sense is a professional, and anyone with creativity is an artist. Beyond that it is just a matter of competency, and that is not a problem outside of elitism.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I dunno...I still think it's BS. A lot of these people charge lower rates than a lot of pros and undercut their business. I see this a lot as a writer, too. I studied writing and have done it for years and I'm making barely enough to scrape by on a very, very bare-bones lifestyle. Still, there's always someone willing to start calling themselves a "writer" and work for next to nothing and that undercuts everyone else in the business as well. I don't feel that bad for myself because I'm still at the beginning of my career so I don't expect much, but I see people who are long-time freelance journalists get very bitter and disheartened. It's easy for someone not doing that living to say, "well, as long as people are willing to charge that, some customers will always go for it and you just have to accept that," but it's a problem. Imagine if it were any other job. Imagine if there were absolutely no minimum wage and people could work for $2 per hour without tips. -Someone- would work for that, I'm sure of it. Would that still be ok? As freelancers, we don't have the protection of minimum wage, so we're exposed to the pure hell that is the free market. The only hope we have is to raise a little awareness about what we do and what our services are worth and hope that we get a bit of societal support.

Comment

Eh, I'm a libertarian. Don't get me started on politics and economics, let's just leave it at agree to disagree.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

And I'm a (green) social democrat, so we'll definitely have to agree to disagree

Comment

I'm having one of those weeks. One where I can't get out of bed. I haven't exercised, I'm neglecting my dogs and I'm eating like shit. I can't work out exactly whats wrong this time, so I can't fix it. Its bugging me. I got to work today after school had started. I heard the bell go in my kitchen.

I'm ready to feel better now.
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment