Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Random question from someone who'd never even seen snow, let alone had to deal with living with it...

If you put salt on snow, or the roads or whatever it is that you do... is this salt then getting into the ground or waterways? That doesn't seem appropriate to me.
    Yes, it is an issue. Better to use sand, for vehicular traction, without damaging the land.

Is this about you? Have you never seen snow? When I was in college, I remember some freshman girls from Puerto Rico who never saw it. The first time it snowed, they were outside, like little kids, and then on the phone to their parents. It was so much fun seeing them experience snow for the first time!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      Yes, it is an issue. Better to use sand, for vehicular traction, without damaging the land.

Is this about you? Have you never seen snow? When I was in college, I remember some freshman girls from Puerto Rico who never saw it. The first time it snowed, they were outside, like little kids, and then on the phone to their parents. It was so much fun seeing them experience snow for the first time!
      Yep, I've never seen snow. Unless you count the fake snow at the indoor ski-slope, which I don't.

Adelaide has had a few snow flurries in it's history, but not an actual 'it's snowing' sort of thing. And I grew up in the middle of the Mallee where hell will freeze over before it snows. I've seen plenty of frost and hail. But never snow.

Sadly, I was in Las Vegas at a conference when it snowed in Louisiana February 2010... I missed the snow by like four days. By the time I got to Torey's place in Louisiana it was lovely spring weather!

Comment

And then there's my rusted out hunk of auto to attest to the evilness of salt.

I got to enjoy the pleasure of watching someone enjoy their first "hellofasnowfall" with my English son-in-law. He was out making snowballs, snowmen, and snow angels while we're all sitting inside saying "I ain't goin' out in this crap."

It was delightful...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          Yep, I've never seen snow. Unless you count the fake snow at the indoor ski-slope, which I don't.

Adelaide has had a few snow flurries in it's history, but not an actual 'it's snowing' sort of thing. And I grew up in the middle of the Mallee where hell will freeze over before it snows. I've seen plenty of frost and hail. But never snow.

Sadly, I was in Las Vegas at a conference when it snowed in Louisiana February 2010... I missed the snow by like four days. By the time I got to Torey's place in Louisiana it was lovely spring weather!
          Amazing. Just amazing. I've been through so many blizzards I can't even tell you.
          sigpic

Comment

I've never seen real snow either.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I absolutely LOVE real snow. As long as work is cancelled and I have a lot of food in the cupboards.

Comment

Amazing. Just amazing. I've been through so many blizzards I can't even tell you.
                Have you ever been in a dust storm? As in... red or purple sky, dust whirling and stinging your skin, covering your mouth 'cos you don't want to breathe it in, visibility so low you have to pull over, red dust piling up on the window sills, and the mad dash to make sure all the animals are under shelter?

That was my childhood. And we weren't even desert or outback, just Mallee country. But the dust storms would bring the red sand from the outback hundreds of kilometers and mix with the local sand and dirt.

Australia once had a dust storm that hit Brisbane and Sydney... which was a BIG deal because they rarely get dust storms like that on the East coast, especially in Queensland. From memory the tail end reached New Zealand. Ours weren't as big as that particular monster, but we'd get at least one each summer, sometimes a few.

Comment

Nope, no dust storms, but plenty of blizzards, hurricanes, and Nor'Easters. LOL I guess you have something wherever you go.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nope, no dust storms, but plenty of blizzards, hurricanes, and Nor'Easters. LOL I guess you have something wherever you go.
                    Yeah, I reckon. I've never been in a hurricane or tornado or anything like that, either. We get hurricanes in northern Australia, but not down here. The second time I went to America was when Joplin, Missouri was flattened by a tornado... we'd been in St Louis at Torey's sisters' place like two weeks earlier and were almost going to take the bus rather than a plane down to Louisiana, which would have taken us through Joplin. I was in Louisiana with the tornado warnings all around, but never saw anything more than some slightly swirly clouds.

Seems like every time I go to the US, I narrowly miss some big weather event!

Comment

You're lucky you missed them! I'm a couple of hours from Joplin. 200 miles from St. Louis, where I fly out of to go home to NJ. Which reminds me. it's almost time to book this year's trip!
                      sigpic

Comment

Win 8 laptops apparently have issues with bootable flash drives. I'm not amused.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Um. Was anyone aware that Homeland Security was shut down temporarily? I was reading our daily emails and it stated that we couldn't do e-verify right now. Because homeland was temporarily out. Apparently they need funding.

What is wrong with this picture?:=I:
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Um. Was anyone aware that Homeland Security was shut down temporarily? I was reading our daily emails and it stated that we couldn't do e-verify right now. Because homeland was temporarily out. Apparently they need funding.

What is wrong with this picture?:=I:

Our government has apparently decided that brains are overrated again. It happens at various points in time. It'll get better eventually... or someone will start WW3 and we'll have more important things to worry about. I'm holding to my old position of we should set certain requirements on the legislature and if at any point, the legislature fails to meet them (like say allowing extended periods without a budget or allowing Cabinet level positions to run out of money) then all sitting legislators are forbidden re-election. I'm perfectly okay with government officials making stands on principle but if I as a private citizen decide not to do something my company wants done because of principle then I run the very real risk of not being employed much longer unless someone higher in the company or local/state/federal judge decides that I'm in the right. I want to know how many legislators will decide to play chicken if there are objective criteria that must be met if they ever want to hold elected office again.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Or maybe put their friggin' pay on hold until they demonstrate some sort of competence, beyond flapping lips.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                                Or maybe put their friggin' pay on hold until they demonstrate some sort of competence.
                                I'm perfectly okay with doing both.

Comment

Working...
                                X