THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick View Post

That's weird... I thought chocolate provided all the vitamins necessary...
    Precisely, but it doesn't matter right now. I'm out of both.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      While looking up info on the WWI Lost Batallion (mostly guys from the 77th infantry division), I was reminded of the WWII Lost battalion (the Texas National Guard Unit whose commander went against the advice of his senior officers and engaged in battle and had to be rescued by the 442nd (after failed attempts by other units).

If you are at all familiar with the 442nd, they were one of the most highly decorated units, and all 2nd generation Japanese Americans.

Over 200 men of the 442nd died or were missing, and another 800 injured to rescue 211 of the TX division, because their commander was a moron.

Three men in the 442nd were awarded the Medal of Honor........in 2000, because that's what sort of racist assholes we were.

Better late then never, right America?

Happy Memorial Day Weekend.

Enjoy your barbecue.
      The sad epilogue to the WWI event is the Officer in Charge eventually committed suicide by jumping ship and drowning himself years later. He never could come to terms with the basic sacrifice of his battalion. Near as I recall from the news paper articles I read is his body was never recovered.

I heard a few times he was compared to Pickett as to how he felt about the whole situation and loss of so many of his men.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The Domino's pizza cutter on duty tonight must be high on 'shrooms.
        I got squares, triangles, rectangles, isosceles. You name it. Small, big.
        meh.

*munch munch. This rhombus tastes good.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So, there were 2 typos in something I wrote like two months back. They weren't major, but they were obvious. I don't know how I didn't see them, because I always read over everything I write before I submit it. I know they can still happen (sometimes, you can overlook the most obvious errors when it's your own work, because you just can't see it) but it's still super embarrassing.

Comment

Mother...stop with the soul saving. For one second can you care about something different?

Comment

Originally posted by Wenny View Post
              Mother...stop with the soul saving. For one second can you care about something different?
              Many of us share the pain.. Hang in there.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Our election is on June 18, it was announced just over 12 hours ago, and I'm already sick of hearing about it. The is NOTHING else on the news, I haven't a clue what is going on in the world because our politicians are busy throwing mud and pointing fingers at each other... and they are all clueless idiots anyway... *sigh*... just for the record, I think voting is an important part of democracy. But the world doesn't stop dead for a few weeks just because we're having an election.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

For anyone else in a long-distance relationship (or who has had one in the past): do you find it challenging to coordinate your life with your relationship?
                  Although I really value our time together and am happy that he can visit every two weeks, I feel like my social life and some other things in my life have taken a real hit. I'm reluctant to make plans with friends when he visits (unless we spend time as a group with mutual friends), because that's all the time we have together. It was so much easier when we lived together, because we saw each other all the time.

Comment

It's 3 in the morning. I'm sleeping at my parents' today because my SO is sick and kept me awake with coughing last night, so I thought a night here would be better for both of us than him sleeping on the couch. I've been asleep for less than two hours when I hear a loud beeeeeeep noise. I get the feeling that something is wrong. Look out the Window. Fire. Lots of fire. My heart is racing and I can't really get back to sleep. The firetrucks are here now, seems somebody lit a few cars on fire... but just a few meters to the right of that is a big lab full of poisonous things that can go boooom. See why fire in that general direction might start a strong response? yea. While I've been writing it seems they have almost put it out. Nice. Last week when I visite here, the lab had 5 firetrucks and the bomb squad for hours!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    For anyone else in a long-distance relationship (or who has had one in the past): do you find it challenging to coordinate your life with your relationship?
                    Although I really value our time together and am happy that he can visit every two weeks, I feel like my social life and some other things in my life have taken a real hit. I'm reluctant to make plans with friends when he visits (unless we spend time as a group with mutual friends), because that's all the time we have together. It was so much easier when we lived together, because we saw each other all the time.
                    Long distance is hard. I haven't done it for more than a few weeks, but I've seen it done (successfully and otherwise) by a few of my closest friends. When I did it, we had been together for a while and it was pretty hard, I moved to a different part of the country, and he ended up moving with me. The time until he moved in was horrible, I concluded pretty quickly that I couldn't do it for long, but knowing that it was temporary helped.
                    One of my good friends had a very healthy long distance for years, they met once a month and made the most of that. But they started the relationship knowing that was how it would be.
                    My brother in law did the same thing for 2 years, they met wheb they could afford train tickets. She moved over here a year ago, they got used to seeing each other every day - and then he had to move. He lived too far away for her to visit for months and it drove her crazy. He's back in the area now. But I guess the point is that it gets much harder because you're used to him being around but it really is possible. If I were the friend you neglected when he's around I'd totally understand! You're unused to having so little time together, it has to be used to the full given some time, it will fall in to place and you can get the social life running again.
                    You remind me of the babe
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

We did it for about... 2 years, then together for 3 months, then apart for another 1.5 years. Painful doesn't begin to describe it. To be honest, the other aspects of my life took a backseat to our relationship (aside from work). My friends understood, my employers tried not to keep me late and I found a lot of wifi hot spots to communicate with him as much as I was able.

Comment

I have had a little experience with it. I dated a guy who was almost two hours away. We would see each other once a week or every other week for two days at a time, and then it was hard. I wanted to make sure I was able to spend as much time with him as possible. I did the same thing. Group outings so we could spend time together and he could see his friends in the area as well. I put a lot of things on the back burner for him but it wasn't the healthiest relationship I have ever been in either.

I handled things so much better when KP moved to Texas and I had to stay in North Carolina for a while. Actually I handled it way better then he did. This could have been because I had the dogs or because I kept busy but I was much more relaxed after the first few days. I cried like a big baby and then I calmed down and was good. We skyped and sent texts, there was the occasional phone call. He hates talking on the phone but I didn't try and plan my day around him. It just wasn't possible with what we do for a living. I would have been depressed the whole time because we never skyped on schedule, we hardly ever were able to answer each others texts right away. I don't know if I could do long distance all the time though. I think knowing there was an end in sight helped.

- - - Updated - - -

They posted the cook 1 position last week. B and I applied and Friday I was called to the office and told that B and I would be interviewed Saturday. Needless to say Chef left early without interviewing me so I asked B if he had gotten his only to find out that Friday Chef had told B he had given it to him (without the interview) and it would go into effect next pay period. I'm not mad that B got it. I new he'd get it when he threatened to quit if it was given to me, I'm mad that I was lied to about the interview. If you didn't want to interview me then don't! I'm disappointed in how it was done. All you have done is reinforced that acting like a 2 year old is how you get what you want. Chef came back to work Saturday just to tell me that he wants to give me a 1 there are just things I need to work on... all of them are complete bull shit because I already do those things and he knows it.
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!

I was going to move over there with him, but I had a huge hit to my finances recently and all of the money I saved for the move is gone. I needed around 3,000 Euros for moving costs, a damage deposit on an apartment there, and first month's rent, and now I don't have any of that, so it's just not doable. By the time I save up the money, he'll only be there for another year. Some of the money I'd get back (damage deposit and such) but there's still a good 500 to 1,000 Euros that I'd never see again, and it just doesn't seem worth it for one year. So, I decided to stay here.

He's in a 3 year program, and he's almost done his first year. So, there are 2 more years left. He might stay on to do a master's there, and if that happens, then I'll definitely move over there for a couple of years (a master's is 2 years). But, he won't know if that's possible until around 6 months before his program ends. He definitely won't stay there past his studies (he HATES the area...loves the job and the institute, but the town is AWFUL and he has no friends). After that, we'll figure out what we're going to do. We had a talk about it a few weeks ago. He might come back here, because he's interested in working for a research institute and Berlin is full of those. But he also really wants the experience of living abroad, which I understand. We talked about places that were doable (because places like France would be hard for me to find work and are too expensive for me to keep freelancing) and places that aren't. So far, the green list includes Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Canada. I'd probably do Australia as well, if we were married and I could get a visa to go there with him (presuming he got a job there).

Comment

I do long distance (plus kids) on a fairly regular basis--at least 2-3 months of the year...and I've done it up to a full year. In some ways, its easier when he's gone because I do what I want when I want to and I don't have to take another adult (and work schedule) into account...on the other hand, the work of parenting is harder. When we visit (because he generally can't come home when he's on a job), its not a big deal because we are in a strange place, no friends or other stuff to compete with. But, when he does come home, its pretty much the same--we don't have many non-mutual friends (except work friends, and we don't hang out with them). TBH, once you have kids (particularly school age, but not old enough to watch themselves for a night), most of that "socializing with friends" goes out the window because its hard to coordinate all the stuff they do with what you want to do. Instead, its usually a date night. Since most of my/our friends are also married with kids or married to a military member, its not a big deal--everyone knows you'd rather do family time after a deployment than go to coffee, etc...because you can do that anytime they are gone.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I've seriously been considering seminary school for about 6 months now but every time I turn auld it seems like another hurdle pops up. The cost, gods, the costs. The time commitment. The internship. The weeks a year in Chicago. If I get a scholarship so I can actually afford it they're all for full time study andihonestly don't know if i can handle two or three jobs plus school full time. If I try to pay as I go it'll probably take like 30 years. The internship is probably out of state and I can't imagine being away from my family for 9 months... ugh. I just don't know. Career assessment. That's the first step. And an expensive one from what I understand.
                              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Ranting about the weather...Please make up your mind..80 yesterday and thunder storms,today 60's and lots of rain..later in the week gonna be 80's again with thunder again. Settle down to something..please..
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X