THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

And I STILL haven't been able to hang my paintings because the place is STILL closed.
    I swear to god the words I will shout at the owner will be... not nice.
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Okay, so I am vegetarian and lactose-intolerant. In the smaller camp I was in for most of the summer, this wasn't even an issue, and I ate really well, healthy balanced meals. I'm in the big camp this rotation, and I had the cook tell me today at dinner (when I asked after a vegetarian option) that, and I quote "am impossible to cook for, because you can't have vegetarian meals without dairy in them."

So...she said she has been trying to make a vegetarian salad every night, so I would have something to eat.

A vegetarian salad? Who the fuck puts MEAT in SALAD? It's leaves and vegetables, and quinoa and beans and shit. Seriously.

So my dinner was broccoli, a potato, and a salad. Just like last night's dinner. And lunch the day before....

/dies

Mostly art.

Comment

I know that all prevailing wisdom goes against it, but I'm going to start writing down all my freaking passwords. And e-mail addresses. And other random online registration crap. I have major identity issues when I'm on the internet - I can't remember who I told what website I am...

/headdesk /headdesk /headdesk
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          writing down all my freaking passwords.
          That's how you are supposed to do it, have complex random passwords and write it down so you don't forget. No one is breaking into people's houses for their passwords, and if you are careful about how you write them anyone who finds the passwords won't be able to do anything with them.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

just don't do silly sh** like leave them on post-it notes stuck on work computers ( some local school staff have left account information in all kinds of fun places, it's not a trait to emulate)
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Mine are written down. But which password goes to what account is encoded, as are other factors, in a way only I would understand.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I know that all prevailing wisdom goes against it, but I'm going to start writing down all my freaking passwords. And e-mail addresses. And other random online registration crap. I have major identity issues when I'm on the internet - I can't remember who I told what website I am...

/headdesk /headdesk /headdesk
                Enter LastPass

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                That's how you are supposed to do it, have complex random passwords and write it down so you don't forget. No one is breaking into people's houses for their passwords, and if you are careful about how you write them anyone who finds the passwords won't be able to do anything with them.
                No, no, no, no, no, no, no... in fact, just last week was a case of a Guardian reporter that was going through customs with encrypted hard drives containing extremely sensitive data. Airport security searched him, and found the password for the encryption written on a piece of paper. Regardless of his rights to free press, they decided that the sensitivity of the data was too high, and destroyed the equipment.

Beyond that... people may or may not break into your house or place of business to obtain passwords... but people who already have access to your house might get curious. (snooping family member or guest).

IF you must write down passwords, obscure them in some way... such as using some type of cypher, or leaving off a part of the password that you can remember, or having a system for rearranging the password (such as reversing it, or using the second half first)... something. But, I'd recommend using something like LastPass, which is an encrypted vault for your passwords... then I'd recommend using a VERY strong password to access that vault (and don't write it down, just commit yourself to remembering one very difficult password)... AND I suggest using a second form of authentication to access that vault. Personally, I use a YubiKey.

All of my passwords are unique, impossible to remember, 16 character random strings of gibberish. They are all stored in LastPass. To access my LastPass vault, you must know my (even longer) password, plus have access to my YubiKey.
                Last edited by MaskedOne; 09 Sep 2013, 04:32. Reason: fixing url tag
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I can't remember who I told what website I am...
                  So in reality you're like a 50 year old guy living in the woods somewhere stealing the neighbor's internet with an ungodly long ethernet cable?

Comment

There are programs called password safes,the program itself has a password. There are many free ones,and you can keep all your passwords in them. With a program like this you can use passwords with maybe 20 chars,and they allow you to retrieve your password as you are online. Do a search for sourceforge,and also Portable apps,the portable apps one can be kept on a memory stick and you can take it with you.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

That's an interesting system, ThorsSon. Thanks for the link.

Your post has an edit because the url tag was slightly off. I changed the code to make it work. Left everything else alone.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

This woman I'm doing a commission for is being a pain in the ass. I'm not leaving that restuarant tonight until the damn thing is done! So she can gtfo! x
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I write my passwords down because every time I sign up for something, the page tells me to write it down and put it in a safe place. Right along with confirmation numbers, security codes, verification codes and numerous other mumbo jumbo that I can never make heads or tails of, when I go back to it, for some reason. No indications of which type of code they are nor what they belong to. But I DID write them down like I was told to.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

If one more of my facebook friends introduces their new page, "Joe Shmoe Photography", I'm gonna scream. Most of these folks have never even held a roll of film in their hand. Everybody's a photographer these days - the art has gone the way of typesetting. I'm not even gonna continue making calendars, etc., other than for gifts, and I'm gonna let my website expire.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Gahh every job I can feasibly get is only part time and pays what I'm getting paid now, or it's a job that I can do but I lack the credentials to get and those credentials will cost me at least $6k. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                                If one more of my facebook friends introduces their new page, "Joe Shmoe Photography", I'm gonna scream. Most of these folks have never even held a roll of film in their hand. Everybody's a photographer these days - the art has gone the way of typesetting.
                                Totally agreed. I barely know a handful of professional photographers. I seem to know hundreds of amateurs that THINK they're professional.

I own, and have owned, many cameras at the same time. (Cell phone cameras are not cameras. They're cell phones.) Right now I have three; two film and one digital. All three are SLR's with several different lenses, each.

I am NOT a professional "photographer". Even having taken hundreds of thousands of pictures, I'm still a hobbyist, an amateur, at best.

Today, someone can stop at Walmart, buy a 12 megapixel point and shoot, w/zoom, for less than a hundred bucks, and suddenly they're a photographer. If I had to guess, I'd say I've spent well over five grand on cameras and accessories, over the years. I put time into setting up a shot, I do snapshots, I capture so-called "Kodak moments", I look for interesting ways to interpret a setting to create a unique view, and I let pictures tell a story.

Apparently, I put way to much thought (and money) into snapping a few pics to annoy all my friends with. Amateur!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X