• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EndlessCravings
    replied
    Re: Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

Originally posted by Taulmaril View Post
    It is regularly thought that addiction is uncurable. With that said there is affective treatment for it. Perhaps some day there will be a cure for this and other problems such as ASPD. Until that time and effective treatment is the only thing that will work.
    There's therapy and not everybody can get it. Either learn to fit in and control yourself or go to jail. It's a spectrum and the low functioning end up in prison or some type of correctional facility. They make up about 25% of the prison population.

Leave a comment:

• Taulmaril
    replied

It is regularly thought that addiction is uncurable. With that said there is affective treatment for it. Perhaps some day there will be a cure for this and other problems such as ASPD. Until that time and effective treatment is the only thing that will work.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    But the human body is extremely limited in its ability to repair itself. It cannot regenerate limbs. It cannot repair severed nerve connections. It cannot regrow sensory hair cells in the ear. Once you injure a growth plate enough, it cannot be healed (and if you are still of an age to be growing, your growth of that limb will be impeded).
    That is very true.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
    You do understand that putting effort into trying to change your behavior when it comes from a damages part of the brain, a chemical imbalance, or something of the like, is highly unlikely without medical help. I don't say impossible, but unlikely.

Especially with antisocial personality disorder, where there hasn't been s lot of effective treatment. Your statement makes me think of the people to tell me to "just get over" my clinical depression, or to "pay more attention" to conquer the ADHD (attention focused).

Looks like you pretty much summed it up, Habbs. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    Generally speaking, I think it CAN be cured. Can it be cured today? I don't know... Perhaps in the future, one day.
    I don't think it can be cured. Possibly, ever. I do think that there are ways for therapists to help people with ASPD, cope and such. It seems like it would be impossible to cure a personality disorder. But, you never know, maybe somewhere in the future.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Truth be told,humans are really very fragile. Not all that hard for us to die,depends on at times what we wear...helmet to protect our brain,and even then limited protection at that.
    The football helmet dose not completely protect from concussion. Concession is when our brain bounces around inside our skull.
    Yes. It can only take one time for something to happen that causes enough damage to last a life time.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Truth be told,humans are really very fragile. Not all that hard for us to die,depends on at times what we wear...helmet to protect our brain,and even then limited protection at that.
    The football helmet dose not completely protect from concussion. Concession is when our brain bounces around inside our skull.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    If human body can repaired itself so can a human brain.
    Yeah...not so sure that's possible. Personality disorders tend to stick, maladaptive behaviors and all. Therapy can help people learn to control themselves but it doesn't work that easily.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

But the human body is extremely limited in its ability to repair itself. It cannot regenerate limbs. It cannot repair severed nerve connections. It cannot regrow sensory hair cells in the ear. Once you injure a growth plate enough, it cannot be healed (and if you are still of an age to be growing, your growth of that limb will be impeded).

Leave a comment:

• habbalah
    replied

And I know there's a chance that a brain always repair itself.
    Please cite your evidence for this claim. Brain damage and injuries very rarely repair. My best friend's father was hit by a truck and developed a closed head injury. It's been nearly ten years, and his brain is not any more healed today than it was the day it left the hospital.

Leave a comment:

• ThePaganMafia
    replied

I don't think it's quite that​ simple.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ThePaganMafia
    replied

As a person with absolutely no psychological training I feel totally qualified to weigh in on this debate.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

And I know there's a chance that a brain always repair itself.

Leave a comment:

• habbalah
    replied

Maybe they're not putting enough effort to alter their behavior. At least they're trying to change their behavior.
    You do understand that putting effort into trying to change your behavior when it comes from a damages part of the brain, a chemical imbalance, or something of the like, is highly unlikely without medical help. I don't say impossible, but unlikely.

Especially with antisocial personality disorder, where there hasn't been s lot of effective treatment. Your statement makes me think of the people to tell me to "just get over" my clinical depression, or to "pay more attention" to conquer the ADHD (attention focused).

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Repairing brain structure is beyound our scientific skill right now...Used to be a "Cure" was turning the person into an almost brain dead creature. Was called a lobotomy,and I think was a standard when they thought no real cure was possible,the surgery was more to stop them from harming others.

Lobotomy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X