X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that make you smile

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    ^^^ At your school, do snow days need to be made up? They don't, here, and I find that kinda shocking. They had 9 or 10 days off from the last storm, and are off tomorrow and probably a couple more from this one.
    The school i attended tacked on about 9 days at the end of the year slotted as "bad weather days"... they were attended by children and teachers whether or not they got out for any bad weather.....
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

When I was in elem. school in NY, we almost never closed because there were no buses - we all lived close & walked. In Jr. Hi/High school in NJ, we had a few from time to time but we made them up.

Here, the kids are on the same schedule for the school year no matter what - there's just not a whole lot of emphasis on education, for the most part. Weird little area. Lots of people want religion taught in the (public) schools, and a lot of them DO have prayer in class. Science is taught grudgingly. I'm very grateful for my own childhood education, after seeing this.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

^^^ At your school, do snow days need to be made up? They don't, here, and I find that kinda shocking. They had 9 or 10 days off from the last storm, and are off tomorrow and probably a couple more from this one.
        In Oklahoma, the number of classroom hours in the school year is mandated by the state (notice I said hours; some schools have longer days and don't have classes on Fridays, or do Friday-Monday off every other week), and they have a number of snow days tacked on at the end that are canceled if not used. But snow days over and above those few have to be added on. It's got something to do with federal matching funds.

When I was in school ('61-'74), they didn't much close school for the weather. If the superintendent could make it, why everyone else could, too.
        Last edited by Rick; 05 Jan 2014, 21:58.
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'm finishing up watching a movie and my guy and the littlest son have already fell asleep. The part that makes me smile is that they both sleeping with their left ankle propped up on their right knee and their left arm over their face. They do this so often, it's too cute. Like father, like son.

Comment

It was super busy at work today. I guess everyone going back to school decided to bowl! I made mad money for the week!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Basically what others have said, Hawkfeathers. We have days built in to the schedule, and only have to make up days if we go over that number. On rare occasions, if we go over, the governor can excuse them, but he'll only do that if they go over in the south & the major snow hits up here in the north.

The district where I am is huge - kids spend over an hour on the bus, and most of the bus runs are through dirt back roads. They may not be able to get through tomorrow either.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

^^^ Huge district here, too, dirt roads & all.

Aaaaaannnnddddd......what's making me smile today is knowing I'll be in civilization in 21 weeks.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Here we're more likely to get days off for excessively hot weather!!! Some schools will not make kids come to school if the forecast is over 38 degrees C (100F I think?) but that would be ridiculous here, as it's often over 40C in summer. So we don't actually have days off that kids have to make up.

There should be though, attendance rate at our school is SHOCKING.

- - - Updated - - -

Huge district here too. We have kids from the aboriginal community 66km away come in on a dirt road each and every day. Another bus runs south 40km and the third goes 40 north and then to the little town 5 north.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    Here we're more likely to get days off for excessively hot weather!!! Some schools will not make kids come to school if the forecast is over 38 degrees C (100F I think?) but that would be ridiculous here, as it's often over 40C in summer. So we don't actually have days off that kids have to make up.
                    Heka, I've heard from exchange students that you get heat days off (I teach high school, 14-18 year olds). We 're right on the 45th parallel, midway between the equator and north pole. The first year I was teaching here, we got a snow day every week. We were shoveling snow over our head - it's not uncommon to get 2 feet of snow overnight.

And I just got word that school is cancelled for tomorrow as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Here, the kids are on the same schedule for the school year no matter what - there's just not a whole lot of emphasis on education, for the most part. Weird little area. Lots of people want religion taught in the (public) schools, and a lot of them DO have prayer in class. Science is taught grudgingly. I'm very grateful for my own childhood education, after seeing this.
                    This is the wrong place, 'cause it certainly doesn't make me smile, but I'm going to be political for a moment:

A big problem in your area, Hawkfeathers, is that there are no teacher unions.

Teacher unions are often derided because they make it difficult to fire tenured teachers - firing them requires a specific procedure, which actually means they can't be fired "at whim."

But the unions also are responsible for teacher certification (i.e.: maintaining high standards for teachers), giving well trained professionals a meaningful say in the curriculum (science teachers can object to teaching creationism in a science classroom without getting fired), developing a calendar for the school year (snow days...), AND securing a living wage that will attract intelligent, well trained, and - dare I say it? - dedicated professionals to a phenomenally difficult job.

Currently, here in Michigan, the government is engaged in a brutal campaign to tear down the teacher unions.

They use the Ozarks as an example of what "good education" looks like without teacher unions...

A dreadfully shitty way of saving money at the expense of the future, for those who can see beyond the B.S. rhetoric.

Without a union, I may just as well have spent all those years in college preparing for a job at Walmart.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I got my dad hooked on Firefly over the holidays... and that makes me smile.

He was hesitant, not big on sci-fi... convinced him that it is a western series, that just happens to be set in space.

He was hooked after the first episode.
                      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                        I got my dad hooked on Firefly over the holidays... and that makes me smile.

He was hesitant, not big on sci-fi... convinced him that it is a western series, that just happens to be set in space.

I now love your dad. Browncoats unite!

Comment

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Heka, I've heard from exchange students that you get heat days off (I teach high school, 14-18 year olds). We 're right on the 45th parallel, midway between the equator and north pole. The first year I was teaching here, we got a snow day every week. We were shoveling snow over our head - it's not uncommon to get 2 feet of snow overnight.

And I just got word that school is cancelled for tomorrow as well.

Ah I wish I taught 14-18 yos! That's what I'm trained for, high school Music. But I teach more Junior Primary than anything else EEEEEEKKK

And that's a lot of snow!

And I joined the Union. I'm really glad I did. It's shown me how absolutely crap our school is, and the boss, and we have people on our side. It's good.

I'm still on holidays :P Till the 28th

- - - Updated - - -

DID YOU HAVE A BABY!!!!
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I have no words for how cute this critter is. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000009

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                                As any person with good taste would be.

Originally posted by Heka View Post

DID YOU HAVE A BABY!!!!
                                I did the same thing! (Think she had a baby, not had a baby myself. Confusing...)

Comment

Working...
                                X