This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

I'm glad my nephew is gone for the day. My head is hurting. I love him, but I can't take it when he is loud.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Monday is my Friday. It sounds weird.

Comment

One of the residents at work fell down the stairs a few weeks ago and damaged his spine. There were other complications, and we were warned he wouldn't be able to pull through. As a team, we all agreed that if he were going to die, we'd prefer he died in his own home, and thus set things in motion to bring him home. I wrote the risk assessments and support plans, his key worker liaised with the staff at the hospital to make sure we had the training needed to manage the machines that would have been coming home with him (he could neither eat nor breath independently). It was decided that it would be easier for us to manage peg feeding as the risk of infection, or the tubes dislodging, was less. He was scheduled for the procedure last Wednesday, but when they took him into theatre his blood wasn't clotting properly, and there was too much infection on his lungs, so they decided to postpone.

Then this morning, in the early hours, he passed away. He died alone, in a hospital.. paralized, scared.. sad... I know he's in a better place, and I'm proud that we worked so hard as a team to bring him home, but it still feels so unfair. His room is all ready for him, complete with fresh new towels, a DVD player we'd gone out to buy for him, a little heater because his room can get a little cold through the night... It is so unfair that he didn't make it home. Even if he'd died the very next day, I wish he'd at least come home and knew we hadn't given up on him, we hadn't stopped caring..

I hope he knows this now. We'll really miss him. This place hasn't felt the same since he went into hospital. He'd been here since not long after I started working for the company 11 years ago. This was his home for life. It was meant to be a longer life than that...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I am currently engaged in a very polite arguement on Patheos with a black evangelical Christian blogger about his equation of the terms "Bible thumper" and "raghead" as being synonymous religious insults (actually the post is about not liking the term Bible-thumper). Despite "raghead" being a racial insult, something on the level of the n-word...in which blogger is trying to say "Bible-thumper" is also a racial term because most people think conservative Christians are all white.

Either way, I'm done with the "someone is wrong on the internet and its not me" vortex of time and energy...although I find the mental gymnastics he seems to be going through to justify his arguement to be quite interesting.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think he knows what a Muslim is or wears.
            Arabs and Jews of the Middle East wear the Keffiyeh (the colored towel thingy)
            Indians and South East Asians wear Turbans.

Ragheads are referring to multiple races of people of the Middle East and South East Asia by people who think it belongs to one religion.

Hence it's a good word. It let's you know when you are speaking to an idiot.

Example:
            IDIOT:That guys a raghead over there. F his Allah.
            YOU: Ahh..idiot. Thanks.

EDIT: I actually read the comments and your replies. I have to say Thal, well said. I also hate people who use 'big adult smarty pant words' but don't exactly know what the hell they are saying. It's quite fun to watch.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The less polite use Sand N rather that raghead...I am not quite sure how bible thumper is an insult..It seems to describe a Christian that try's to convert others a lot,and for them it should be a compliment I would think..selling the faith big time..just my take
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                The less polite use Sand N rather that raghead...I am not quite sure how bible thumper is an insult..It seems to describe a Christian that try's to convert others a lot,and for them it should be a compliment I would think..selling the faith big time..just my take
                Yeah. I wrote a long post explaining the correct slur for Arabs but then found myself in scary writing territory. So I just edited mahself.

Does "bible thumpers" encompass Mormons and JW et al?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You know at times I am a bit peeved watching the news when a racial slur has been used..as they report they will not even hint at what was said..because its mention might upset someone..in some cases they will not even use the standard "The N word" to describe it..So I am left to ponder what word got used.

- - - Updated - - -

It is like when you are watching a movie on regular TV,and they censor the dialog.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    The less polite use Sand N rather that raghead...
                    And Dune Coon. I haven't heard that one since I left Jersey. In the Ozarks, raghead seems to fit all. I hardly every hear it unless they're talking about our President. It's amazing.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

You know... I had literally never heard any of these racial slurs until reading this thread. I've only ever heard one such term aimed at Muslims (not yet mentioned here). It was by a girl I used to be close to. An internet friend I met up with a few times offline. She lives in Bedford and there is a lot of tension between the white community and, well.. everyone else, down there. I wish I'd been able to sympathise with her, but I was just so angry that I pulled away and stopped contacting her. I feel bad, because she's not a bad person, just misinformed. I know she misses me. Now and then she messages me (and she went through a phase of bombarding my facebook wall with cat pictures to the point that I had to disable posting on my wall...) and I do reply... I just... I just can't feel comfortable with her anymore, knowing that she can label someone just for being a different race, and following a different faith. That she can talk as though every Muslim is a Jihadist and hates the West.

Anyway... what I actually came to post was...

I stumbled by this video on youtube. Don't worry about the Japanese, the audio is all in English..

まわりのことを変えれるようになる前に、まずあなたを安心させるような考え方をする方法を見つけなければなりません。人生のストーリーが実現化する前に、こうなってほしいと思うストーリーを語りはじめなければなりません。大好きなこと、感謝していることを語ることで、感情がシフトし、新しい引き寄せのポイントになっていきます。動画...

Can anyone understand this woman? It sounds like English.. the sentences are grammatically correct... but what on earth is she saying? It's like she's just stuck a load of new-age sounding words in a barrel and is fishing them out in a random order.

She's a good speaker. She sounds like she's making really important points..

Maybe I'm just not telling the right story? Or am I not hearing the right story.. or.. who am I vibrating with? What's expanding? What's filling me? Erm... Will I at least get my taxi fare home after this??
                      Last edited by Jembru; 07 Apr 2015, 02:47.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        [...] I also hate people who use 'big adult smarty pant words' but don't exactly know what the hell they are saying. [...]
                        This drives me nuts. I have, at times, pulled out the dictionary when this happened and was even more confused after reading the meanings. Why can't people just use layman words. The 'big adult smarty pants' (loving this phrase btw) are fine and good when you're writing an intellectual paper or debating in an official setting... But on a forum like this or on Facebook, sheesh just talk to me like I'm a human being. I can figure out the words but I don't want to have to do homework just so I can reply to a comment. I usually just stop paying attention to that person at that point , which doesn't help get anything resolved.

Sorry, what thread am I in? Got carried away. My bad.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Sounded very much like new age gobblegook....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I always hated corporate speak. You know, the little buzzwords that get overused. I remember being in a meeting, sitting around a conference table, where a VP was telling us something, and somoene said "Is anyone capturing this?" Capturing. Like running around the room with butterfly nets or something. Which is what I forevermore picture in those situations.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I overslept. By 4 hours.

So much to do...

I'm debating trying to sell one of my tarot decks on amazon, but not sure I like the idea of having amazon hooked up to any of my accounts (I really wish they just had a store credit option).

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                                I always hated corporate speak. You know, the little buzzwords that get overused. I remember being in a meeting, sitting around a conference table, where a VP was telling us something, and somoene said "Is anyone capturing this?" Capturing. Like running around the room with butterfly nets or something. Which is what I forevermore picture in those situations.
                                I'm going to go buy a butterfly net and bring it to my next meeting.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X