The 'What's wrong and other fixes' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 'What's wrong and other fixes' thread

The little button next to the thread that lets you go straight to the first unread post of that thread is gone. Can the mods bring it back?
    Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Awww, my post just disappeared, when the system logged me out! smf did that sometimes, but the post stayed when I hit the back button!

I wanted to give some comprehensive feedback too...
      Last edited by AzazelEblis; 01 Feb 2011, 15:41.
      "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
      http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
      "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
      http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
      "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
      http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Pro:
        -(adervtised) html in post, for more flexibility
        -(advertised) more video embedding options - youtube, vimeo, hulu, dailymotion, google, and metacafe
        -(advertised) Internal translations for different languages?
        -Ignore user option - we've talked about this for a while!
        -AutoPager browser plugin works! I'm excited about that.

Con:
        -could html in the posts compromise security?
        -The new interphase is a lot to get used to, and has a lot of stuff I don't think we'll use.
        -during those long posts, both old and new might log me out for inactivity. SMF would keep my post content, where this does not. And it logs me out sooner. Especially in the Academics board, this discourages well-cited posts.
        -(Edited in) No "double posts" button. We had one a while ago, and I miss it.
        -"Search Engine Optimization" appears to still be applied to the forum content universally.

Remember when, if someone used a word that might look a little "off color" to a search engine, over the following two weeks we'd get some new folks that agreed with that mess?
        Also, threads where discussion got contentious got higher page ranks in google. That's not a good way to put our best foot forward to the whole internet. You might still find some stubs of old contentious threads in a google search.

This might help with that. I'm sure you guys have thought about it already, but smf's implementation probably made it too messy. Is that any different now?
        Last edited by AzazelEblis; 01 Feb 2011, 16:22.
        "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
        http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
        "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
        http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
        "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
        http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

AARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... I like the new look ... But I had to refresh a few times and got a bunch database errors while trying to reset password and get in ... Had to come thru the homepage to get on the forum ... But I made it ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Yeah, I was having those database errors just now as well.
            Cogito ergo sum.

Comment

Originally posted by calfhill View Post
              What's with all the numbers that show up where an apostrophe is supposed to be?
              I noticed that in posts too ... Interesting isn't it? ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                I noticed that in posts too ... Interesting isn't it? ...
                Those posts come from the old forum software. The formating is a little different here, so that screwed up the apostrophes.
                Cogito ergo sum.

Comment

For those wondering. If you reply with quick reply *which seems to be the default button to hit* you get basic reply. Hit advance next to it and you get to do this..

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

But with the advanced there is no pic button ...

Comment

go to advance. Select the paperclip icon. It's next to the smilies and the font icons. Click that. It opens up to a second window to upload.
                      Attached Files
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Give it another shot a little later, as it might still have a hiccup or three from when the hosting company decided our server was working too well.
                        "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                        without his weapons of war;
                        for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                        of a spear on the way without.
                        -

Comment

What's up with the facebook button?

And yay for avatars & signature pics!
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

WOO HOO Perz ... Kitty, mouse and snakes ... Interesting combo ...

Comment

Re: Member titles

On that count (and I do understand that this will all take some time!) I miss the "updated threads you have posted in" button. I'm going to be a sad Gwen if the only ways to see which of my threads have updated are to slog through which of ALL threads have updated, or to Show Own Posts and manually check every one.

By the way--thanks so much for all your work!

Comment

Is anyone else having trouble staying logged in? I keep clicking remember me, but when I come back to the forum I have to log back in. Its not a big deal, just annoying.
                                It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                                X