Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to this site, and looking to learn more about Paganism!

Hello and welcome! Pull up a thread and have a look around!
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: Better late than never

Hello and welcome!

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: Hello y'all.

Hello and welcome!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Pagan Newbie and Stress

yeah! I'm new to Paganism but I have been studying it for months...
            I added the "stress" word on the title because I wanted to share some irritating experience I just had. And wondered if I could get some pieces of Advice from you guys.

Well, I just started working at a company which I just knew it was a religious company (heard that employees must attend the bible study).
            I told the manager that I couldn't attend such study because of my religion, but still insisted I attend the study.

We all know that Pagan is somewhat or IS DIFFERENT from christianity, and that one cannot have both, because of its beliefs and practices. But how could I explain to the manager that I am not interested without offending her. (I just need the right words without being offensive. =[)

Thanks!! >____<

Comment

Re: Pagan Newbie and Stress

If you really want to go there, you are entitled to explain to your employer that your religion is non-Christian and that you would rather not attend such a function. At the same time, your employer is not allowed to ask you first what your religion is.

It seems that you have three choices: Suck it up and go, explain to your boss why you don't want to go, or quit.

Might I ask where you're from? I'm pretty sure what you've described is illegal under US law.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

In this case, I would avoid mentioning anything specific about your religion (unless you have already...), or about Christianity for that matter. Just firmly, but politely, again say you will not be going to the study. If they insist, repeat yourself, but keep your calm about it. You could also say you just prefer to keep your work and religion separate if you're really pushed to give a reason.

I don't know where you live, but you might also want to look up any laws relating to this, see where you and the company stand legally on the matter.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Tell her that you do not revere the bible, and that unless it has direct relation to what you do within your job, you will not be able to attend. Mandatory bible classes are not technically legal for employment, unless it is listed under conditions within the employment contract. Find out what the local employment laws are in the area, because if you are in some places that have right to work laws, they can fire you without stating a reason for it, and proving that you were discriminated against on the basis of religion becomes something you would have to do on your own. Maybe attend 1 bible study and ask specific distracting questions? and they won't mind if you do not attend another, but if you are worried, please start writing things and specifics, (who, what,where, when,) down so if something happens you can cite specific instances. Just be mindful in places where religious culture runs high, being there can be construed by some people as offensive.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm from the Philippines...and I think most people know the Filipinos are religious people...but not all Filipinos.

Comment

Honestly, if you are in the Philippines (not sure or not, based on how you posted before)...are you protected at work from that sort of thing, the same way we should be in the US? I don't know enough about how workplace protections for freedom of religion work there to offer you advice.

If you want to keep your job, you might have to suck it up. Even here in the states, with protections, that can be the case if people know, because they will look for stuff to get you on.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vicariousparabol View Post
                        Hello! My name is Amber, and I'm 20 years old. I live in the Midwest. Cold as hell here, right now! I have a christian background, and I'm looking to get as far away from that as possible. There has always been a huge stigma about Wicca, and paganism in my family, and I find it absolutely silly. I registered on this site in hopes to find myself a new way of life, and learn more about paganism; hopefully I can find an offshoot that's right for me!
                        Hello! Welcome to PF. I'm originally from a town not too far away from you, lol...well, north a bit and cross the river! We have a pretty wide variety of folks here, so you are in a good spot to ask questions!
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Honestly, if you are in the Philippines (not sure or not, based on how you posted before)...are you protected at work from that sort of thing, the same way we should be in the US? I don't know enough about how workplace protections for freedom of religion work there to offer you advice.

If you want to keep your job, you might have to suck it up. Even here in the states, with protections, that can be the case if people know, because they will look for stuff to get you on.
                          Thal is right. I wouldnt have enough background myself on the labor laws in the Phillipines to give any useful advice.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

THANKS!!! Now that you've mentioned it, I've done my "research" about laws. And YES it is illegal. It states that and a law cannot be made respecting religious establishments, and that goes with employment (though it's in another article). With this, they can't force me to do or participate with their practices.

- - - Updated - - -

Well as far as I know, I did mention it politely and even asked not to talk about it. But SHE still insisted we talk about it. I even told her about my Mom telling me to just tell the truth and tell them about my religion (not detailed), but eventually the Manager told me not to mention it again to my Mom which at that moment really pissed me off.

After being consulted and the such, I noticed she have had a different approach with me. Well, it wasn't the same as when I started working.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I been having some LAW searching about religion and employment here in the Philippines...It really is illegal. Really felt lighter when I read the whole article and I thought I could use this to protect myself from being harassed.

Comment

Ok, if it is illegal, then the best thing you can do is document what is going on. Keep track of dates and what was said. Communicating about it via email next time your boss tries to talk about it would mean that there would be a dated paper trail.

Anything that you can have as evidence will help you out.

Past that, I'm not sure how much more help we can be, since none of us are familiar with the legal code in question.
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Welcome to our fine forum And I agree with Dez. If it's illegal (and wrong, besides) get some evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X