Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Within neopaganism does feminism exist at the expense of male neopagans?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Within neopaganism does feminism exist at the expense of male neopagans?

I saw this on facebook and thought Id look it up I was limited in the stats I could get. The police stats dont start til 05 and the terrorist death stats only go til 06 but taking those 2 years the police still potentially killed more UK citizens domestically then all the worlds terrorists did internationally. Its an exaggeration but its still not too far from the truth. In 05-06 72 people died domestically after police contact from 2000-6 terrorists killed 56 uk citizens internationally. Not that Id have much love for a peeler anyway but your police are feckin scumbags enough. THey dont need encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
      Well you have to admit, the SS had really sexy uniforms...:devil:
      "With homosexuality added it would be sparkling, perfect." -Jean Genet, referring to the Gestapo

But he was a total freak...

Comment

Picture relevent:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitler_Gay1_cant_belive_followed_this_mans301x40047758580.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	351480
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Witcher View Post
          "With homosexuality added it would be sparkling, perfect." -Jean Genet, referring to the Gestapo

But he was a total freak...
          Nazi uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
            Nazi uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss, if I recall correctly.
            Yes. Seriously they had smexy designs. Too bad they were assholes and all.
            Fashion Fashion Work it baby
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Another feather in Godwin's cap.

RE: OP

I don't equate male-bashing to feminism, nor do I tie any matriarchy to male-bashing. I'm a male-basher, myself. Pretty f'n good at it, too, if I may say so. But I've also been exposed to similar commonalities in neo-pagan groups. There's a problem there, though, in that "neo-pagan" is superfluous. As is feminism being part of most pagan communities. There's a whole lot of correlation here that doesn't indicate any causation, whatsoever. Throwing in unnecessary adjectives, basically, to clarify where a bit of contempt comes from is rather disjointed, IMO.

After reading 8 pages in this thread (I had done so well avoiding it, too!) I have to say that my own observations on human nature and gender-specific behaviors have thus been reinforced. The culture, the society, the system that we are all born into is imperfect, unbalanced, and quite fickle. I find it hilarious that people take umbrage at others' cultural experiences. When their own are just as impeding to someone else's wishful thinking. What makes it even more comical, for me, is the misinterpretations of social awareness, cultural achievements and systematic balance, that are all quite unattainable.

/on-topic

And I can't help thinkin' of a Conga-line of butt-hurt individuals all, apparently, claiming to be thee victim of abuse. Queue up, form a line, and take a number - there's enough abuse for everyone!!! If I haven't gotten to you yet? I'll get to you, shortly!

/twisted humor

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                Another feather in Godwin's cap.

RE: OP

I don't equate male-bashing to feminism, nor do I tie any matriarchy to male-bashing. I'm a male-basher, myself. Pretty f'n good at it, too, if I may say so.
                Can you explain that a bit? Are you bragging youre good at fighting or are you saying you enjoy talking about how crap men are?

But I've also been exposed to similar commonalities in neo-pagan groups. There's a problem there, though, in that "neo-pagan" is superfluous. As is feminism being part of most pagan communities. There's a whole lot of correlation here that doesn't indicate any causation, whatsoever.
                We speak different dialects of english can you explain a bit more, especially that last sentence. To me it might as well be chinese.

After reading 8 pages in this thread (I had done so well avoiding it, too!) I have to say that my own observations on human nature and gender-specific behaviors have thus been reinforced.
                The gender roles in my culture are different to the gender roles in yours but Id agree that lots of people in the thread are very rooted in gender.

What makes it even more comical, for me, is the misinterpretations of social awareness, cultural achievements and systematic balance, that are all quite unattainable.
                Would you say gender roles are innate and cant or shouldnt be changed?

Comment

Chain routinely talks ill of humanity in general. Men happen to be included. I don't think he's getting into fistfights currently but I'm not sure.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Sorry, James. I tend to forget the language barrier when I'm on about something else.

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
                    Can you explain that a bit? Are you bragging youre good at fighting or are you saying you enjoy talking about how crap men are?
                    I simply meant that I've had a lot of practice at talking crap, about men. Which, by the way, has its roots in getting to know so many women (virtually all of them, I've ever met or talked to) that had been abused or mistreated in some way.

That is NOT to say that I don't share in the fun of male chauvinistic jokes about brides wearing white, barefoot & pregnant, or horrid motorists.

Men are pigs and women are sex toys. Those are the "accepted" roles of each. And anyone that doesn't fit either of those "labels" is often referred to as an exception, an extremist, a feminazi, gay or some other attempt at making an exclusion, by the use of assigning a false minority.

We speak different dialects of english can you explain a bit more, especially that last sentence. To me it might as well be chinese.
                    Well, whether or not someone is pagan has nothing to do with those [mis]behaviors like male-bashing, etc. While it is true that in Paganism, or Neo-Paganism, if you prefer, there are traditions that are significantly matriarchal, there are matriarchies outside of Paganism in roughly the same proportion.

It comes down to: Get a bunch of like-minded women into a group and they'll undoubtedly talk about something they have in common. Crap men, for instance.

The gender roles in my culture are different to the gender roles in yours but Id agree that lots of people in the thread are very rooted in gender.
                    Yeah, it's kind of sad. I use the fact that I'm an Aquarius as an excuse, but I find all that gender-posturing highly annoying.

Would you say gender roles are innate and cant or shouldnt be changed?
                    IMO? Gender roles are a monstrous misappropriation of resources and a nightmarish disparity for self-aggrandizing half-wits to think they are better, just because of an accident of birth, basically, that dictated their gender.

In simpler terms, why bury the truth about PEOPLE, as a whole, under layer upon layer of gender-this, victim-of-that, retaliation and vindication?

I mean, seriously! I despise what the gender categories are, and have become, in terms of the roles they are supposed to play.

Summarily, "gender roles" shouldn't exist. IMO* (oops, forgot to clarify that!)
                    Last edited by ChainLightning; 21 Jul 2012, 10:40. Reason: Forgot my opinion, here.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Within neopaganism does feminism exist at the expense of male neopagans?

This is stemming from my experiences over the last few months. Ive lived in the midlands where there was loads of folk traditions that neopagans would enjoy but no neopagan moots, when I moved back up towards the east coast I started getting back into moots. I hadnt noticed before so maybe Im more sensitive to it at the mo but a lot of man bashing goes on. Men dont want to be fathers, men arent commiitted to relationships, the patriarchy oppresses women all that stuff goes on while Im sitting there looking on. Im no vegitable I fight my corner but I get "oh youre the exception then"... is it that strong a tendancy in neopaganism or is it just the company Im in here?
                      Deliberately ignoring most of the posts in this thread.....

I don't think the views expressed by these particular woman have anything to do with either feminism or paganism. I think they have to do with these particular woman and their own personal views. I attend monthly moots in my own town and have never seen or participated in conversations about male bashing.

I consider myself both a pagan and a feminist and I do not see men as second class. I find the irony of generalizing about feminism within neopaganism on the basis of one group generalizing about men as a whole gender pretty amusing, if slightly offensive.
                      http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I for one like gender roles, in that it's fun to subvert them.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Well, whether or not someone is pagan has nothing to do with those [mis]behaviors like male-bashing, etc. While it is true that in Paganism, or Neo-Paganism, if you prefer, there are traditions that are significantly matriarchal, there are matriarchies outside of Paganism in roughly the same proportion.
                          Thanks for replying again Chain. Sorry I was really stumped. I limited my first post to neopaganism because discussing the stuff outside that context would be really fun but itd be pure flamebaiting to try it on a forum.

It comes down to: Get a bunch of like-minded women into a group and they'll undoubtedly talk about something they have in common. Crap men, for instance.
                          They have great lads as far as I can see Chain I suppose its just a thing women do when they get together now. Id rather not be around when it happens tbh.

Yeah, it's kind of sad. I use the fact that I'm an Aquarius as an excuse, but I find all that gender-posturing highly annoying.
                          I agree I look at it as a sign of igorance or to me a sign that the people are mindless and boring. I suppose I shouldnt hang out at that moot anymore hah.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                          I find the irony of generalizing about feminism within neopaganism on the basis of one group generalizing about men as a whole gender pretty amusing, if slightly offensive.
                          How so Shadow? I tried to restrict the context for feminism to avoid a flame war but personally I find it difficult to locate anything else that could possibly be justifying something so basically moronic. Id put it down to third waves influence as a brand on neopaganism. Riot grrrl etc making it popular for people to call themselves feminists without caring about or understanding feminism or its history. its nothing but an affectation. Maybe Im looking for an excuse or just winding myself up to go on a crusade against its influence. I have to deal with rows over LGBTQ people calling other coveners breeders and they apologise I dont see why pop feminists shouldnt apologise for doing things equally as stupid.

Comment

How so Shadow? I tried to restrict the context for feminism to avoid a flame war but personally I find it difficult to locate anything else that could possibly be justifying something so basically moronic. Id put it down to third waves influence as a brand on neopaganism. Riot grrrl etc making it popular for people to call themselves feminists without caring about or understanding feminism or its history. its nothing but an affectation. Maybe Im looking for an excuse or just winding myself up to go on a crusade against its influence. I have to deal with rows over LGBTQ people calling other coveners breeders and they apologise I dont see why pop feminists shouldnt apologise for doing things equally as stupid.
                            How so what? How do I find the irony amusing, or offensive? Or how do I think it's ironic in the first place?

Are you deliberately ignoring the first part of my post because it doesn't fit with your beliefs on feminism? I shall repeat it again for you. The conversation that you were part of has nothing to do with feminism, it is a group of woman who are bashing men for their own personal reasons. Their justification for it is because they have known crappy men, and are therefore making generalized statements about men as a whole. You, in turn, are making generalized statements about the whole of third-wave feminism and the neopagan movement on the basis of that one conversation. Is their generalization fair or correct? No. But then neither is yours, and you appear to either be incapable or unwilling to see it.

As a third-wave feminist I could choose to be offended by your statements, but honestly I just find your comments on it both amusing and a sign of your ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                              As a third-wave feminist I could choose to be offended by your statements, but honestly I just find your comments on it both amusing and a sign of your ignorance.
                              Thats the second time you insluted me Shadow do you have an argument to make or are you just upset? Im not amused at you trolling me.
                              Do you want me to google feminst neopaganism for you so we can have the discussion? Here you go. Click Click
                              Last edited by JamesByrne; 21 Jul 2012, 14:28.

Comment

Thats the second time you insluted me Shadow do you have an argument to make or are you just upset? Im not amused at you trolling me.
                                Do you want me to google feminst neopaganism for you so we can have the discussion? Here you go. Click Click
                                I haven't insulted you once, never mind twice. And I am far from upset by what you have to say. I don't believe there is a discussion to have because you continue to deliberately ignore the fact that the conversation you were part of has NOTHING to do with feminist neopaganism.

Comment

Working...
                                X