This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cultural insult? Semi-naked ladies and feathers

No moving of goal posts. I'm dealing what this the subject of the thread: the one named in the title. And some people griping doesn't equal cultural misappropriation.

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
    I'm just going to follow a cue from xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/argument_victory.png
    So you think a discussion is about winning. Interesting.

By the way, is this cultural appropriation?

What about this?

Is this?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    So what you're saying here is that unless a person is 'one of them' they have no right to say they agree with someone, or can understand someone's point of view, or support someone's cause?
    Nope, what I'm saying is that people should own their own bias and opinions rather then trying to pass it off as speaking for an entire group.

Everyone has a right to their opinion but that doesn't mean anyone has to share it or that it's some how more "right" then someone else's. And I disagree with your claim that the VS show was an example of racism for the reasons previously stated.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
      Everyone has a right to their opinion but that doesn't mean anyone has to share it
      If you feel that way, why are you even on an internet forum?
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
        Everyone has a right to their opinion but that doesn't mean anyone has to share it or that it's some how more "right" then someone else's. And I disagree with your claim that the VS show was an example of racism for the reasons previously stated.
        Well I can go ahead and disagree with your opinion that it is not, for the reasons that have been previously stated on the other side of the argument.
        The sharing of opinions and debating a topic are the point of this thread, on this forum. If you don't want someone's opinion, or the scources for why they have formed it, why are you even here?
        Last edited by Maria de Luna; 16 Nov 2012, 02:38. Reason: I still apparently cant use grammar and spelling...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          If you feel that way, why are you even on an internet forum?
          Discussion, the exchange and examining of ideas. But it's really hard to have a discussion when faced with someone whose position amounts to "It's _____ because I say so, so there."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          Well I can go ahead and disagree with your opinion that it is not, for the reasons that have been previously stated on the other side of the argument.
          Which amounts to because you've decided it's wrong. Not much to discuss there.

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          The sharing of opinions and debating a topic are the point of this thread, on this forum. If you don't want someone's opinion, or the scources for why they have formed it, why are you even here?
          See above, I've already answered this.

Why don't you have a look at those three links I posted previously and tell me if you think that's cultural appropriation as well and WHY you think it is. That would be having a discussion.
          "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

K. Time to stop being snarky.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
              K. Time to stop being snarky.

Damn. And I was just about to address this pile of stinking fallacies being repeated, over and over.

Fine. I'll go back to the beginning.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              During a Victoria's Secret fashion show, one of the models was dressed in leopard print undies, high heels, a Native American headdress, and turquoise. Here's the scoop - and yes, there is a picture...

Needless to say, somebody got mad.

Not because she didn't take her underwear off, like you'd imagine, but because wearing the headdress was a terrible insult to Native Americans.

So what do you think? Was this disrespectful enough to get pissed about, or are we looking at another overblown tempest in a teapot?
              I think it was disrespectful, in at least one sense. I'm also sure it was disrespectful enough for *someone* to get royally pissed about it. If that "someone" wasn't Native American but just some upstart wanting to make their voice heard, then yeah: overblown tempest (much like the argument, herein, regarding members actually having an opinion).

That said, I also think I want that headdress. The skinny bitch wearing it can go jump off a cliff.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
              X