Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wodenism - is it racist or is it the real deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wodenism - is it racist or is it the real deal?

Ah, I see, westwoden. I'm sorry that I misunderstood earlier. ;^_^
    The group you mention in the OP is racist, without a doubt. But if you mean that Wodenism come in different not so neo-nazi shades, just a group that is exclusive to the needs of Anglo Saxons, like the Black Panther movement that was for African American rights yet it's membership was open to all races and internationally known. Then, I can give a thumbs up towards that, for sure. There's nothing wrong with wanting to defend and preserve a culture's rights or way of living. It only gets dicey when doors are closed to others wanting to join the group or movement, based on race and is seen as racist. If Wodenism is much like the Black Panther Party was (before it fell to corruption and drugs), then I don't think the religion itself is racist at all. However that one group you used for example, totally is! Or so, that's my opinion or vibe on it. ;^_^
    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Wodenism is very similar to Odinism, of which there are several types.

In a nutshell I would say that Wodenism is basically the British version of the Germanic Pagan family.

Same God, different name - more like different archetypes of the same thing.

(the group in the link I gave works on the basis that their Woden is
      the son of Odin)

In Germany, Odin is refered to as Wotan.

But he is the same, I believe - though not sure where this leaves other gods such as Herne, Horned God and the like.

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable on this can chip in.

Comment

I think the link to the group that you gave originally is really not about Woden at all, more about trying to link English Anglo-Saxon heathenism to some rather unpleasant ideals.

For the record, Woden forms part of my own personal pantheon at the moment... he's not exactly the same as the Norse Odin, obviously, and part of the problem is there is a tendency to fill in any gaps with either Snorri Sturluson or Tacitus. Obviously there are similarities, and you can link some of the evidence together, but only when you're aware of the potential pitfalls.

I think trying to make Woden the son of Odin is distinctly dodgy and they would need some damned good sources before I would buy into that.

As for Herne/Cernunnos... well, that's a rather different tradition again, and you aren't going to fit him into Anglo-Saxon beliefs without some pretty spectacular mental and mythical gymnastics!

If Woden does call to you, I think there are better ways of connecting with him than that group.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          I think the link to the group that you gave originally is really not about Woden at all, more about trying to link English Anglo-Saxon heathenism to some rather unpleasant ideals....

....If Woden does call to you, I think there are better ways of connecting with him than that group.
          I can't rep tyullan again, so I have to just agree.

The anglo saxon gods are just as worthy as any other gods in my opinion, but the group mentioned in the post seems to be a rather dodgy sect. For example, I had to open the article on my home computer because it was filtered by my employers web filter as "offensive content" it doesn't explain anything, but it also never comes up as that, the web filter found it "offensive" but I still read the site and was not impressed. They use similar arguments as many local hate groups, they don't talk about the hate in public so much (some of them anyway...) It just feels like it is hiding in there.

A groups political ideals matter, if you want to associate with them, you have the right to do so, but you will unlikely be separated from the political ideals of the group too.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            If Woden does call to you, I think there are better ways of connecting with him than that group.
            ok, I agree - the link I gave in the OP was a bit off base, I kind of just dived in at the deep end so to speak!

anyway, what do you suggest for following Woden?

being from the UK I don't want to stray too far into the Norse system, as I feel a connection with where I am from (mainly SE and SW England).

I'm also very much into Druidism though I believe they have a different pantheon.

any ideas?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
              ok, I agree - the link I gave in the OP was a bit off base, I kind of just dived in at the deep end so to speak!

being from the UK I don't want to stray too far into the Norse system, as I feel a connection with where I am from (mainly SE and SW England).

I'm also very much into Druidism though I believe they have a different pantheon.

any ideas?

thanks
              I can't speak for Tyullan, but my advice is to read, research, and find what you can about your god, his pantheon, and the people who worshiped him. Find traditions relating to him songs and anything you can. See what other people have learned about your god, (read everything with a bit of salt too though.) Anglo-saxons are not quite the same as the Norse, so you may have to watch some of what comes up, but there is quite a bit of that culture remaining in the UK and likely more information available than some of the older groups.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. write what you find down, you never know when you will want to take a look through what you already have, keep a journal of sorts, it helps with making the journey!
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

any ideas?

thanks
                Probably best to answer this on your other thread...
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Offerings, rune work which includes the Anglo-Saxon runes, galdr and veterans organizations or work.

Comment

Working...
                  X