X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    As long as the hole is only two blocks big and the rest is bedrock they can't get out unless they hit water or are attacked (these bypass it for some reason). I had zombies and skeletons in tanks along the walls and my bed was above the enderman tank so I guess if they're properly contained it lets you sleep. The sleep thing does do weird things though. On one save it kept insisting there were monsters nearby when I was on the top floor but let me sleep fine next to the skeleton tanks.

The baby zombies surprised my friend a lot. They're faster, harder to hit and don't burn in sunlight which makes them horribly annoying. Thankfully they have less health. Still I lost an entire village to one of those since they came out during the day and couldnt outrun it
    Then it's decided! I'm gonna try to get JP to play tonight and help me build a tank for my zombie!

I haven't had any trouble like that with the baby zombies just yet, but I can see how it could be a problem. I didn't know they could spawn during the day too! I've only met them at night, but yeah.. the buggers can not half sprint.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The baby zombies spawn like any other zombie but the villagers think that since it's daylight it's safe to come out and they come out and then can't outrun it. That turns villagers to zombies which do burn then they die. That continues until they're all dead, faster if there's baby villagers since they turn into baby zombies. An interesting thing is you can cure zombie villagers back to normal villagers but if they burn it is sorta pointless.
      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        The baby zombies spawn like any other zombie but the villagers think that since it's daylight it's safe to come out and they come out and then can't outrun it. That turns villagers to zombies which do burn then they die. That continues until they're all dead, faster if there's baby villagers since they turn into baby zombies. An interesting thing is you can cure zombie villagers back to normal villagers but if they burn it is sorta pointless.
        Then that's a huge problem. They need to think of a fix for this. When JP started playing, he didn't know about the night raids, so stuck around a very small village, trying to beat off the zombies. By morning, all the testificates were zombies (there was probably only 6 of them to begin with). It is still empty, so I guess they don't respawn. I guess the babies would be too quick for the golems too? This definitely needs some kind of fix.

Mind you.. when we play hardcore mode, we're horrible.. if the testificates aren't selling anything useful, we kill them to make room for more helpful ones, and so we don't have to run around clicking on people selling bread for 20 minutes, before we get to the good stuff! It's dog eat dog in hardcore mode...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Outright the baby zombies can outrun golems but that's not a problem since they're trying to eat villagers and won't defend themselves. Villagers don't respawn, they have a breeding system like animals. They breed according to the amount of available "houses". In ideal conditions they will breed up to 35% of the available houses. Houses are defined by the game engine as an area with a wooden door that has a clear inside and outside space. That basically means the inside has to have a block that blocks the sun light and the outside must have visible sky. They breed randomly once the qualifications are met. Two testificates will enter love mode with hearts then make a baby villager of a random profession. Theoretically so long as two villagers liver a village can repopulate. Personally I just cage two up on the off chance they all die.

If you find a zombie villager, cage it and keep it away from other villagers or zombies, use splash potion of weakness, then right click with a golden apple. The villager zombie will turn into a villager after a few minutes.

I do horrible things to villagers for amusement... killing them off if they have useless trades is acceptable. If you make a village big enough it kinda breaks it and the villagers will breed more than they should. Big enough villages are hard to kill off outside of hard mode.

Villages are designed so the player helps them. They're just too dumb to live by themselves. The villagers are outright suicidal at times. They'll open the doors for zombies to come in, jump off tall things or otherwise kill themselves.
          Circe

Comment

You've maybe explained something that has bothered me for ages. I think I mentioned it before, but there is a YouTube series I watched where a guy tried to move into a village (wearing nothing but the flesh he was born in, and a smart pair of red socks!). The village was really overrun with villagers, especially children, and he often passed couples getting it on. I wondered how there could be so many, for comparatively few houses (and not a single iron golem). I guess he made that happen by expanding the village?

Comment

I can't be sure but it is possible. The village needs to be really big though and the only way to expand a village is by building more houses and by that point a golem should spawn. A golem spawns when there's at least 21 houses and 35 villagers (I think?) after which an additional golem can spawn per every 10 villager. I'm really not sure how there can be tons of extra villagers since they're almost always proportional to the number of houses. By the time that a village reaches the size where the villagers overbreed there should be 2-5 golems.

I started a new survival game and I just love this area on this seed. It's an area where taiga, x hills, beach form a ring around an ocean bay. it's so pretty. There's even pumpkins by spawn and with the taiga snow golems were fast to get. My shelter is mostly made of snow now on a spire section of x hills over looking the bay. The seed is 3358187072045687736. The coordinates for the area are x -180, y 64, z 226 on large biomes. I love making my base overlooking water near multiple biomes (Yes I realize that is very specific xd )
              Circe

Comment

Well, I'm still confused then. I wouldn't say the village is THAT large, and yet they really are at it like rabbits. I'm at work so can't like the video, but I'll share it tomorrow. Of course, you won't need to watch it all, just take a quick peek at the place. It's really weird. I have never been able to make a village populate like it.

Comment

Maybe he's messed with some parameters or added a mod. The villagers do some really odd things by themselves.
                  Circe

Comment

OMG why am I still awake? I couldn't sleep yesterday for work and have now been awake over 30 hours.. I'm so glad I'm off tonight.. I just don't seem able to switch off. I think I'm overstimulated. I might open a bottle of something kinda ricey, kinda wine-like and probably from Asia... That'll fix everything.

Well, I guess as I'm not going to sleep any time soon, I'll share this. Here is the village I was talking about.

Excuse the Japanese. I figured that doesn't really matter if it's just to show you the village.

So what do you think.. it that kind of population with so many children running around normal in Minecraft? Am I just underestimating what 35 villagers looks like?

Comment

OOh never mind..There's no need to watch! I just watched again (it's been a few months) there are iron golems! Later on when the village starts getting bigger, you see them. Well, I've still never managed to find a village where they even HAVE babies, so it's still pretty odd to me that his flourishes like that (it's not too bad in the first video, but it does get more and more populated while he's messing around looking for gravel for 3 bloody episodes ^^).

Comment

Naturally generated should never spawn with baby villagers and that population size does seem unusually large for a naturally generated village. I love iron golems <3

I'm really loving this world that I started the other day. I'm currently digging out under my tower for a place to make a tree farm, wheat farm and store animals and there's so much ore. Mostly coal so I'll have plenty of fuel it looks like. It is in Xhills though and I hear they have a lot of ore, though I'm not sure if that's true. My pumpkin farm is up and running now and I have so many I could probably build my walls from the stuff. I made a bigger area underground for my snow golem snow farm. If I can lure some chickens in (or find some for that matter) I can make cake and pumpkin pie. Aside from that though I'm starving xd my wheat farm is too small right now and the only animals that are around are sheep.
                        Circe

Comment

Iron golems are cool, yeah. I love how they move. In fact, one of the things I like about the game, is the animation. I don't know what it is.. the way Steve's little arm swings around when he does anything, or his 'crouching' animation (hard to crouch without any knees, isn't it Steve?).., or how the iron golem swings his harms at zombie foe.. even the really crappy side-stepping animation the mobs do when you hit them.. there's something just so simplistic and sweet about it all.

Oh, do trees grow even when they're not in sunlight? I don't know why I thought they wouldn't, I mean, I've seen enough indoor farms on Hard Core mode, to know that crops aren't too picky so long as they have water blocks nearby. I just never considered it before. Now I also want a tree in my house! I of course, look forward to the screenshots when you're done building!

Have you ever played around with mods? We're slightly reluctant to to be honest. I've heard some horror stories of what can go wrong. Still, there are some cool mods around. You mentioning a tree farm reminded me of some of the cool mods involving trees, like the cherry blossom (I would say that), or the rubber trees that you can actually collect rubber from to use as a building material.

Have you changed your skin? Mine is pretty crappy. There aren't that many good female skins really, so I just got something with dark hair and kitty ears to look like me. She's wearing neon colours though, which I don't really like. JP's Steve is cool. He's a man in an oshawott costume! It's so fitting because he adores oshawott. In fact, if he ever had to choose between me or that little otter thing, I wouldn't like my chances.

Btw, how do you take screen shots? Someone talked me through it once, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. Just, I would love to share some of the things JP made in his very first world. He made a giant fortress in a stone robot with netherportal eyes. Well, I say giant. It was made before we realised just how many blocks high they world is, so it's pretty small by some standards. Also if I intend to share a screen shot, it might encourage me to finish the obsidian Enderman statue in my own first world.

We actually tried to make a video of us playing together but the free program JP used wasn't very good. The videos had no sound and were just a few frames per second. All I have is a few voice clips which are just of me because I stupidly took them while we were speaking through headsets, so it only recorded my mic. All in all, it was quite a fail! ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            Iron golems are cool, yeah. I love how they move. In fact, one of the things I like about the game, is the animation. I don't know what it is.. the way Steve's little arm swings around when he does anything, or his 'crouching' animation (hard to crouch without any knees, isn't it Steve?).., or how the iron golem swings his harms at zombie foe.. even the really crappy side-stepping animation the mobs do when you hit them.. there's something just so simplistic and sweet about it all.
                            I agree. The animations are really great and I can totally understand why everything was kept blocky and things.

Oh, do trees grow even when they're not in sunlight? I don't know why I thought they wouldn't, I mean, I've seen enough indoor farms on Hard Core mode, to know that crops aren't too picky so long as they have water blocks nearby. I just never considered it before. Now I also want a tree in my house! I of course, look forward to the screenshots when you're done building!
                            Yeah they're just like crops. As long as they have light and space they'll grow. Oak tree saplings for example need about 9 spaces above them. Be careful though because they can grow through certain blocks like glass, fencing, leaves, glowstone, and other transparent blocks. They don't need water though. Crops also don't need water (aside form sugar cane) but they grow more slowly without it. Saplings will uproot if they don't have enough light. I never even need to leave my house now for wood or anything XD
                            Have you ever played around with mods? We're slightly reluctant to to be honest. I've heard some horror stories of what can go wrong. Still, there are some cool mods around. You mentioning a tree farm reminded me of some of the cool mods involving trees, like the cherry blossom (I would say that), or the rubber trees that you can actually collect rubber from to use as a building material.
                            I'm still pretty new at minecraft honestly. I've only had it for about a month and a half. I haven't really bothered because vanilla minecraft is plenty by itself
                            Have you changed your skin? Mine is pretty crappy. There aren't that many good female skins really, so I just got something with dark hair and kitty ears to look like me. She's wearing neon colours though, which I don't really like. JP's Steve is cool.
                            The skins are connected to the website (to my understanding). I'm running a cracked version so I'm not connected at all to the website and I can't change my skin. You can make your own skins if you want. There's a program where you can draw them or you could use paint if you can figure out the proper format.

He's a man in an oshawott costume! It's so fitting because he adores oshawott. In fact, if he ever had to choose between me or that little otter thing, I wouldn't like my chances.
                            I don't like the unovan starters for some reason. Snivy is my favorite of them but it's so weak (unless you run leaf storm + contrary and even then he's a glass cannon at best), tepig is cute but his evos are hideous. Oshawott is okay but he seems odd to me ^^; still pokemon of all kinds are amazing. Have you heard about x and y yet?
                            Btw, how do you take screen shots? Someone talked me through it once, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. Just, I would love to share some of the things JP made in his very first world. He made a giant fortress in a stone robot with netherportal eyes. Well, I say giant. It was made before we realised just how many blocks high they world is, so it's pretty small by some standards. Also if I intend to share a screen shot, it might encourage me to finish the obsidian Enderman statue in my own first world.
                            I keep doing it by accident. I *think* it's one of the f keys but I don't know which or where they're stored. I do it the old fashioned way prt screen button then paste into ms paint and save. That robot sounds so cool *-* I've never done anything like that but now I want to...
                            We actually tried to make a video of us playing together but the free program JP used wasn't very good. The videos had no sound and were just a few frames per second. All I have is a few voice clips which are just of me because I stupidly took them while we were speaking through headsets, so it only recorded my mic. All in all, it was quite a fail! ^^
                            Try this http://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder
                            I've been using it to do my let's play pokemon emerald and it works great. I don't see why I wouldn't work for minecraft too. Full sound too. Since I was recording an 8bit game I dunno how good the fps are though.
                            Attached Files
                            Circe

Comment

You make Lets Plays? Sweet!! ^^ I get a lot out of them because I generally don't play video games myself, but really enjoy watching them. Obviously, at the moment it's mainly Minecraft, but I could probably enjoy Pokemon!

I actually kinda agree that there is enough that can be done with vanilla without needing mods. I like mods, or rather, I like watching the ones featured in youtube videos. I must admit though, there is something amazing about a well-made custom map that was done entirely without mods, because you know everything was achieved with redstone, and that takes skill and ingenuity. I've seen some pretty cool examples, although one had flying creepers and other weird mobs, so I found it pretty impossible to believe it was all done in vanilla, despite Lewis saying several times that it was.

Btw, do you have any interesting seeds to share? I guess a world is a world, but sometimes you can spawn near pretty cool stuff. The best I have managed was when I used the seedword 'buildablock' and spawned on the side of a mountain, on the banks of a river, with a desert temple almost directly opposite my spawn position (you have to walk around a little before it comes into view, but it's there). I was living on that mountain side, but have since made a home in the temple. That is my very first world and before I decided to be brave and play, JP had been searching for weeks, trying to find a desert temple. I'm not sure he ever did find it in that particular world. So he was so mad that I spawned facing one, he copied my seed, made a new version of my world, filled the temple with TNT and.....

Which reminds me, do you make copies of your worlds so you can game mode 1 and blow up large sections of ground, looking for mineshafts, dungeons and strongholds? It's a bit naughty, but we do it sometimes (we haven't with the world in our joint server though). We actually have a notebook on the coffee table with pages of coordinates for cool stuff, and the item codes for create mode. We write down the coordinates for our homes in there too, so we can always get back if we need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                                You make Lets Plays? Sweet!! ^^ I get a lot out of them because I generally don't play video games myself, but really enjoy watching them. Obviously, at the moment it's mainly Minecraft, but I could probably enjoy Pokemon!
                                It's my first one actually and I haven't updated it in weeks. Let me know how apowersoft works for you.
                                I actually kinda agree that there is enough that can be done with vanilla without needing mods. I like mods, or rather, I like watching the ones featured in youtube videos. I must admit though, there is something amazing about a well-made custom map that was done entirely without mods, because you know everything was achieved with redstone, and that takes skill and ingenuity. I've seen some pretty cool examples, although one had flying creepers and other weird mobs, so I found it pretty impossible to believe it was all done in vanilla, despite Lewis saying several times that it was.
                                Have you seen the calculator? it took up so much space but this guy used the logic gate function in redstone circuits to make a rudimentary computer. It can apparently add and subtract numbers somehow. Amazing even if I could never understand how it works.

Btw, do you have any interesting seeds to share? I guess a world is a world, but sometimes you can spawn near pretty cool stuff. The best I have managed was when I used the seedword 'buildablock' and spawned on the side of a mountain, on the banks of a river, with a desert temple almost directly opposite my spawn position (you have to walk around a little before it comes into view, but it's there). I was living on that mountain side, but have since made a home in the temple. That is my very first world and before I decided to be brave and play, JP had been searching for weeks, trying to find a desert temple. I'm not sure he ever did find it in that particular world. So he was so mad that I spawned facing one, he copied my seed, made a new version of my world, filled the temple with TNT and.....
                                My favorite so far is probably the one I posted earlier (3358187072045687736). There's pumpkins by spawn (because pumpkins have so many uses). The coordinates for the area I've been focusing on are x -180, y 64, z 226 on large biomes. It's an area where Xhills, Taiga and large beaches meet in a small area around a bay. My ideal area is very specific, the intersection of multiple biomes, one of which must have trees, with an area of higher land over looking water. I really enjoy deserts but it's hard to live anywhere in them but the edge unless you bring saplings and crops and things in with you and there's rarely large area of water. That's why I've kinda switched to beaches.

I wish I'd written down some of the seeds I had in the past because there were some really nice ones. Like I said I really like deserts so there was a period I just kept making new worlds until I spawned near a desert. The temples aren't that uncommon really, sometimes they're just buried in sand. I wish I had more seeds for you that one you described sounds really nice so I'll check it out!
                                Which reminds me, do you make copies of your worlds so you can game mode 1 and blow up large sections of ground, looking for mineshafts, dungeons and strongholds? It's a bit naughty, but we do it sometimes (we haven't with the world in our joint server though). We actually have a notebook on the coffee table with pages of coordinates for cool stuff, and the item codes for create mode. We write down the coordinates for our homes in there too, so we can always get back if we need to.
                                I haven't ever thought of doing that but it's such a good idea. I've never been a big miner honestly, usually just areas for storage or when I need material. Rarely do I actively search for ore. It's probably just my computer but I get chunk errors pretty commonly if I go up high enough or if I move fast enough so underground areas become visible unintentionally. I've only ever found dungeons in strongholds or connected to ravines (that I've fallen into since they seem to be everywhere).

I have a habit of not sticking to one world and I delete them really fast, which is such a problem xD.
                                Circe

Comment

Working...
                                X